BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to adding power to my 325 is and didn't know where to start. Looks mean little to me, I just want raw performance. I plan on going a little here and there. Where do you guys reccomend starting? I thought maybe intake, chip, exhaust, but that sounds too cliche. Is there a better way to start. Also I'm a college student so I can only spend about 750 to 1000 at a time.

·
another E30 nut
916 Posts
a chip is going to be one of your best investments for under 200$. Comforti is one of many. Exhaust will end up costing you more than 1000 at a time if you want to do it right and actually have HP gains.
Your intake box can be left in for simplicity and engine life. There arent much things to gain from removing the box. Certain Tests have shown that you acutally have more HP with the Stock box. Wide Open Throttle intake noise is about the only difference you will be able to notice.

An IS already has a somewhat factory modified suspension. However you can install new Springs and Shocks for a noticible ride and car response increase.
Sway bars will come later when you learn more about your car and really want to push it.

Wheel mods are also a good addition, but with the stock BBS's on the IS you cant go wrong.

Im sure the other guys will throw in some stuff i missed.

Matt

·
Registered
478 Posts
For some reason I always like throwing this out...

Stickers... lots and lots of stickers...

Save up the money until you have enough for a turbo. :thumbup:

·
BMW FETISH!!!
5,405 Posts
to much playing around to put a turbo in. Like u have to replace everything in the engine to take the extra boost. Orelse POP GOES THE M20.
If u got the dough, get it. Heaps of hp gain but alot of $$$$

·
BMW FETISH!!!
5,405 Posts
ford mustang? No chance... Drop a m50 with nice s50 cams and shrick camshafts, exaust and extractors with chip and watch it maul any v8's and ricers!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Did you see his budget? S50 on cheap side $3-5k. Sell it buy a V8 Fox body mustang if he wants raw power. Add a 75 shot nitrous and be done with it. All told and spent 4G max.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha Ha Ha. I like the sticker idea. Nothing makes a car faster than stickers. But seriously, I want to stick with my IS. Is dropping an M50 that hard. I could save up and do something like that, it would just take longer than simply adding a chip (like a few months.). i hope these questions aren't too stupid. Thanks for all the help.:thumbup:

·
Registered
478 Posts
I looked into the M50 and there's quite a bit of money there. A lot of little things that add up. Engine, mounting, trans, wire harness, cooling, ECU... The thing too is that you can pick up an M50 engine for maybe $1000, but even if its a 97, I still think you should rebuild it before you put it in, its 9 years old. As far as a turbo goes, you get a kit for about $4000 and it has everything you need in it. But I do agree with Dom on one thing, you'd have to rebuild the engine first. My $.02

·
Registered
105 Posts
first of all before you start going fast worry about stopping.:eek: i'd start out with brake upgrades first. a decent set of slotted/drilled rotors will set you back $150 usd and some nice pads for all four corners another $100 usd. once you got that down, move on to your suspension a set of stiffer springs that lower the car slightly from $150-$300 usd. while youre in there get some better dampers (shock absorbers) $150$-350 usd. then when you save up some money figure out whether you want to go with bolt on performance or a motor build from the ground up. but if youre not doing the work yourself i would stop before you even start. honestly:rolleyes:

·
another E30 nut
916 Posts
the drilled or slotted are a waste of money. unless you are going for looks.
The whole reason behind the holes is releasing Gases produced by burning pads. Because the gases cause a pillow of air between the rotor and the pads.
And unless you are stopping from 140 pretty regularly, You wont be needing them.
Hints why ferraris come stock with them, Car companys do stuff on purpose not just for aesthetics

·
Registered
41 Posts
in addition to basic maintainance (tune up, plugs, wires, maybe ignition coils)

mark D chip,
clutch stop
short shift kit (z4 lever etc)
electric fan (eg, fan clutch delete)
lightened flywheel

·
Registered
294 Posts
don't forget to check cross drilled rotors for cracks :thumbup:

imo - go to the track stock, you'll be glad you have money in the bank when you break something :)

mod your car as your skills improve, you'll be very suprised how quick these cars are fairly stock!

·
Registered
105 Posts
mattdk318i said:
the drilled or slotted are a waste of money. unless you are going for looks.
The whole reason behind the holes is releasing Gases produced by burning pads. Because the gases cause a pillow of air between the rotor and the pads.
And unless you are stopping from 140 pretty regularly, You wont be needing them.
Hints why ferraris come stock with them, Car companys do stuff on purpose not just for aesthetics
this is true the slots also help clean the pads. and they also dissipate heat better than stock rotors. but you cant completely rule them out as a waste of money c'mon man.

·
another E30 nut
916 Posts
no, but alot of guys spend too much on the rotors expecting to gain 100HP and 30MPH faster. Yes they will help if you want them cooler. But they crack like a mofo. I was taking mine off one time for a replacement. They were a little rust bonded to i tapped it with a hammer. SPLIT!!! right accross

I was trying to give advice on saving money for a more worthwhile upgrade.
and i agree with bread. A fully restored E30 will run pretty damn good. even with stock parts. Which are cheaper

·
Registered
105 Posts
mattdk318i said:
no, but alot of guys spend too much on the rotors expecting to gain 100HP and 30MPH faster. Yes they will help if you want them cooler. But they crack like a mofo. I was taking mine off one time for a replacement. They were a little rust bonded to i tapped it with a hammer. SPLIT!!! right accross

I was trying to give advice on saving money for a more worthwhile upgrade.
and i agree with bread. A fully restored E30 will run pretty damn good. even with stock parts. Which are cheaper
they are very susceptible to cracking. but you cant expect too much from any one upgrade. its the synergy of all the upgrades that help you out.

·
another E30 nut
916 Posts
i agree. But to be able to afford upgrades you need to understand what will help you and what wont. Esp if you are on a limited budget

·
Registered
294 Posts
it all depends what you want to do with the car...

it seems like they want to dragrace, since the only mod mentioned is more power, in which case, sell the e30 to someone who can appreciate a well balanced machine, and go buy a muscle car or something...

if you want to use it on the track i'd start with all fluids, whatever your preferance is...the only reccomendation i'll make, is penzoil synchromesh for the transmission, it made mine feel alot less notchy, redline gear oils are celebrated for doing the same thing, but again, all of this is personal preferance, take it with a grain of salt

brake fluid, bleed it before each event, alot of the time, boiling fluid is mistaken for fading pads, i use Valvoline Synpower, ATE Superblue or similar high boiling point fluid, superblue is nice because it comes in differant colors, the valvoline stuff is cheaper, and seemed to work just as well for me in other cars

upgrade your pads if you need to, get something that won't fade abruptly, or race pads that need to be warmed up (if its a daily driver and you don't intend to swap them out all the time), you'll be suprised when you try to stop on a cold day, trust me :yikes: more expensive doesn't really mean better...take into account your specific use of the pads, do you really need ceramic super duper wtcc spec pads and rotors on your daily driver?

i'd wait before doing anything else, and only change one thing at a time so you know if the change was good or bad

another caution is if you intend to enter any clubs, every mod you make can potentially change your class

i'm pretty sure stickers are the best bang for the buck hp addon in anycase...

·
Registered
105 Posts
i think youve won this discussion! i':thumbup: d recommend at least 15 stickers for a gain of around 15BHP each!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts