Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote a post over a month ago about a noise when driving that sounds like a rattle or humming noise. It goes away completely when I turn to the right and becomes almost inaudible when the engine is warm or if I've been driving for 15 ish minutes. It also gets louder when I turn to the left. I had all four wheel bearings replaced this month but it's still there... My mechanic says it could be my differential but why would it be dependent on the steering? Please give me anything on this issue as I'm more than confused by now...

Sent from my VS988 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be a sagging floor tunnel insulation that's hitting the rubber joint on the driveshaft
where it's connected to the transmission, i had exactly the same symptom
on my 328 and that was the cause of the noise.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2029973-Sagging-transmission-tunnel-insulation
I just tried to check that today, but the black carpet or fabic is held in pretty nice so I don't think that's the issue. The exhaust is kind of blocking where I can see the driveshaft but nothing initially stook out to me. If you know a specific part of the fabric I should check let me know. But I think it is related to the transmission, as when I hear the noise when driving, the only thing that actually vibrates with the noise is my transmission shifter. I drive an automatic but I don't notice a change in the noise when shifting to neutral while driving.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's a tight spot to see it as you say, i had the same vibration in the shifter lever only
when turning to the left, that's make me think your problem is the same!
when turning left the engine/transmission moves a little bit to the right
in the rubber mounts so driveshaft guibo hits the insulation on top right
side above the exhaust, often insulation saggs on that side because of heat.

Take a closer look with a good flashlight on the right top side
and look also for some wear on the transmission yoke/guibo.
I still believe that's your problem.

On my car i just pushed on the insulation with a large pry bar
away from the driveshaft but i was not a permanent fix.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to check it again today, but the exhaust and heat shield are in the way of really seeing anything obvious, but I was able to find a crack that exposes what you are talking about. I pushed it around with a long screwdriver and it is pretty saggy right around where the driveshaft meets the transmission. After fiddling with it even though it wouldn't stay all the way up, I drove it and the noise was basically gone until it fell back down and got loud again. I can't do the exhaust and heat shield myself but I am going to take it to my mechanic sometime this week and have him check it out. I am almost positive this is the solution, but I'll wait until it gets checked. Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a tight spot to see it as you say, i had the same vibration in the shifter lever only
when turning to the left, that's make me think your problem is the same!
when turning left the engine/transmission moves a little bit to the right
in the rubber mounts so driveshaft guibo hits the insulation on top right
side above the exhaust, often insulation saggs on that side because of heat.

Take a closer look with a good flashlight on the right top side
and look also for some wear on the transmission yoke/guibo.
I still believe that's your problem.

On my car i just pushed on the insulation with a large pry bar
away from the driveshaft but i was not a permanent fix.
Wow, I just got it back today and that was it! Absolutely no noise now and it was just that Instead of something expensive . Thank you so much for the suggestion, my headache can now stop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts