BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... most of those also coincide in saying the interior is boring, cold, uninviting or downright ugly, which matches some of the reviews I have read.

What do you guys HONESTLY think about this? Try to be as impartial as you can, although I am aware there's only so much impartiality I can get in a BMW board.

Keep in mind this is more of a visual layout/design point than a build quality/ergonomics one.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Not an owner (yet) but I will agree that the interior is "boring". The material quality on the other hand is very good. I personally like Audi interiors the best. Nice quality with good design.

·
gashlycrumb
2,550 Posts
I like the spartan interiors, even better than Audi or MB. Definitely better than the boom box looking interiors from Infinity and Acura. Lexus interiors look like Toyota interiors with wooden steering wheels and very nice leather so e90s hands down. Without iDrive is best, the double-hump sucks. The new X5 dash w/ iDrive looks way better IMHO.

The exterior however is not so great but still better than most comparable vehicles.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I can't even remember how many cars I have had.

I rank my e90 interior above anything that I have ever driven. Also, when my friends sit in it, they really like it a lot as well...I get nothing but compliments. One of my friends has a 2004 e46/525. He absolutely raves about my car.

Also, sometimes you get the best opinions from people that are NOT car enthusiasts. They have much more of an open mind when it comes to the instrumentation. More specifically, my wife and her friends. When I brought my car home, and my wife sat in the passenger seat for the first time, her first response was, "I want one". Believe me when I say that she is not easy to please...

That is my 2 cents...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I somewhat agree... but regarding Audi, I hate the way the steering wheels look! Overall I definitely prefer BMW interiors vs. Audi.

BMW interiors could surely be more luxurious and inviting, but I actually like the focus on functionality. BMW still sucks regarding cup holders! IMO the E9X with the pop-out holders have proven not so great. At least they did a great job placing the iDrive controller where your arm can sit comfortably on the arm rest and use the knob. A debatable item- I love how the dash looks with the iDrive hump. I think it looks plain and boring without it. I realize others hate how it looks.

Could be nicer but could easily be MUCH worse, remember that! :thumbup:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not a current BMW owner. I am an Audi/VW enthusiast and one who partially shares the opinion I mentioned. So there, I said all that.

That being said, I must also mention my father has a 335i sedan and, although I really like the performance, handling and all there is to like about the ultimate driving machine, I am not too fond of the blah interior (no offense). You may claim it's functional, but Audi interiors always set standards for design, build quality AND ergonomics, meaning they are more practical and easy to operate and get used to.

I also must agree that the 3-Series interior materials have come a LONG way since I last sat in one years ago and thought the plastics were quite sub-standard. The E9x materials have a great look and feel to them. I can't vouch for the build quality, however. My father's driver door's speaker sticks out of the leather a great deal and his rear backup light (the one on top of the window) got loose the minute he left the lot. He had it fixed and it was hanging again one week later. This is probably not true for most owners, but it is nonetheless the limited experience I have had. However, I must reiterate I feel leather, plastic and other materials in the E9x are all very, very nice.

I personally dislike the iHump, which is the one reason I would never get iDrive in a 3-Series. No, it's not the fact that many describe it as a diabolical device, since I like my gadgets "gadgetty" and complicated, but the malformation this option causes on your dash. I may be old fashioned on this, but I like NAV systems integrated where my stereo HU should go.

And about Audi steering wheels being ugly, are you specifically referring to the B5 A4? Cause if that's the case, I agree. The B7 wheel I think is nice, not to mention the R8 wheel, which is almost identical to the new (MK2) TT wheel (pictured below).

I don't mean to praise Audi when it comes to interiors, but it's the one make that always comes up when people talk about interior and quality. You guys, predictably, brought it up, so I am simply offering my opinion on the matter.

I am glad you guys are sharing your personal opinion on E9x interiors. That's basically what I'd like to hear. What E9x owners honestly think of their interiors. :thumbup:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've read several reviews that say much the same. One review called the interior "dark and gloomy." Of course, the car being reviewed had a black interior (probably with dark walnut, though I'm not sure). Well, gee, where I come from, black is dark.

Still, the comments aren't entirely unfair. But choices are available to get dark and gloomy, as well as boring, out of the equation. For example, both the Saddle and the Coral interiors are essentially two-toned, with black being used in addition to the color, including the dash, carpets, and part of the interior door and side panels. More interesting, in my opinion, than the Grey and Beige interiors, which are more monochromatic.

Add brushed aluminum to a Saddle or Coral interior, and you essentially have a tri-color interior.

I can assure you, nobody has ever called my interior boring. :D

·
US Army Retired
109 Posts
My last 1997 740i was beautiful, my current E90 is outstanding but my wifes X3 is so so. That said my sons 2005 Audi A4 interior can no way compare to my E90 in looks or ergonomics. I drove this Audi for about a month while he was on vacation and I just could not find much to like about it. Not even in the performace, BMW is hands down much better in every way. Sorry son, you should have gotten the BMW,

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I am not a current BMW owner. I am an Audi/VW enthusiast and one who partially shares the opinion I mentioned. So there, I said all that.
You Audi fan-boys are just jealous of E90s :D

The fact that you are posting on the BMW forum and looking for opinions tells me something... It's okay, you made the first step in recovery from the doom of Audi ownership...:thumbup:

Seriously, it's very subjective what you may like. E90's interior is more ascetic than other cars, but it's more refined than E46. I buy BMW for "fun to drive" factor mostly, which is off the scale for me.

Good luck! :bigpimp:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...my sons 2005 Audi A4 interior can no way compare to my E90 in looks or ergonomics.
Do you realize that ergonomics usually refer to ease of use and a short learning curve, so, once you've been driving your BMW for a while (especially if you had other BMW's in the past), you will always find something you already know a lot easier than something that's new, no matter how short the learning curve is?

But yes, BMW has usually been and chances are it will continue being ahead of Audi when it comes to performance, handling and driving experience in general.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You Audi fan-boys are just jealous of E90s :D
*LOL* I am the most impartial Audi fanboy. In fact, I am no Audi fanboy. I simply have had very, very good experiences with them and am, therefore, somewhat biased.

I will, however, give every car a fair chance. And no, this is not a first step to anything. I have been a member for a long time, just like I have in other BMW forums. And Infiniti forums. And Saab forums. And Saturn forums. And... you name it. I have no contract with Audi.

And, just as I said in my post above, I agree 100% on the BMW fun factor. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I have been a member for a long time, just like I have in other BMW forums. And Infiniti forums. And Saab forums. And Saturn forums. And... you name it.
Looks like you have way too much free time on your hands...:bigpimp:

Good luck!

·
Registered
806 Posts
But yes, BMW has usually been and chances are it will continue being ahead of Audi when it comes to performance, handling and driving experience in general.
Which is pretty much the point, don't you think?? I don't sit around thinking about the interior of my car. If it's functional, comfortable, and otherwise doesn't get in the way, it's fine with me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shut up! :angel:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Which is pretty much the point, don't you think??
It's obviously the point for people who chose that over the rest, don't you think? ;) Others favor style... or safety... or uniqueness... or subtle styling... or even build location. There's nothing wrong with any of those approaches to getting the point.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I would say the interior and dash is functional rather than flashy, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's boring or drab. Previous 3-series interiors have not impressed me but I do like the new E9x series. If you compare it to the new Infinity G-series, they have more buttons and a very impressive center stack with a lots of things to push and pull. I would probably find that distracting, especially with an MT.

So while the new interior isn't what I'd call flashy, it is functional and works extremely well. The interior reeks of quality with a high level of fit and finish.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Not as warm or inviting as Jaguar or Maserati interiors, but definately better than the Japanese which do make a think of a big boom box sitting on the dashboard.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think with the aluminum trim and grey/black interior, yes, it's spartan and slightly unwelcoming. But with poplar + Saddle brown, like mine, I get nothing but "ooohs" and people caressing the seats. I'm happy with it.

As "cold" as they may be, BMW's interior build quality is still leagues ahead of any Japanese marque. Even the new Lexus LS manages to have a cheap feeling console.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Interior isn't great. But no BMW has a nice interior. If you want a nice interior, go for Lexus.

·
Registered
313 Posts
... most of those also coincide in saying the interior is boring, cold, uninviting or downright ugly, which matches some of the reviews I have read.

What do you guys HONESTLY think about this? Try to be as impartial as you can, although I am aware there's only so much impartiality I can get in a BMW board.

Keep in mind this is more of a visual layout/design point than a build quality/ergonomics one.
I think 100% different. I personally can't stand a Lexus interior, all the buttons, in the gs I hate that you have to fold down a panel in the dash for some of the extra buttons... I hate the all plastic dash of Mercedes. BMW has nice wood trim and awesome build quality. As of right now I think BMW has the best interiors with the exception of Rolls / Bentley. Just my $0.02

1 - 20 of 70 Posts