BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im doing a m42 turbo build but i want to get as much power and quickness as i can out of the engine before i turbo it. whats all i can do?

i plan on so far, headers, exhaust, intake, chip, light weight flywheel, short shifter.

what else, i dont know much about engine stuff, what about new pistons? injectors? im new to engine stuff it would be great if you guys could help!

Thanks.

·
Please, call me Brian.
10,782 Posts
There really is no point in doing a chip on a car you're going to boost. The chip will need to be removed for standalone engine management or a chip designed specifically for the turbo kit and mods.
Headers are also pointless, you will need a custom exhaust manifold for your turbo to work.
Lightweight flywheel? You need to make sure your clutch/flywheel combo will be able to withstand bigger power numbers from a turbo setup.

If you dont' know much about "engine stuff", a turbo is probably not a road for you to be traveling yet, unless you plan on handing a shop $4000 and telling them to build, install, and tune a turbo for your car.

There's a ton of info about this stuff on e30tech and R3Vlimted, start reading now, and in a month you should have a very good idea of what you'll need.

·
I feed trolls
4,976 Posts
Also, the M42 isnt exactly the best base engine out there...
Like Ryan said, dont buy anything yet until you get your turbo build going. And, not to be a dlck, but its clear you dont have a very good idea of what your diggin' into. Read and learn before you buy parts; buying parts you cant use is expensive

·
Please, call me Brian.
10,782 Posts
Also, the M42 isnt exactly the best base engine out there...
Like Ryan said, dont buy anything yet until you get your turbo build going. And, not to be a dlck, but its clear you dont have a very good idea of what your diggin' into. Read and learn before you buy parts; buying parts you cant use is expensive
Thats the damn troof.

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
m42 is weak turbo or not. even on big boost your going to make low power with not so great torque. research before you make that bad move.
unless he drops mad cash, then im sure he can push decent numbers.

and to push mad numbers, youll have to bore the block, sleeve the block, high end lightweight pistons, i beam rods, lightweight crankshaft, long duration cams, a headgasket to hold up to 50# of boost, arp head and rod bolts, got to run 4 bolt mains, a damn good oil pump, a high flow injectors (30#ish), a high pressure/high volume fuel pump, stand alone management system (takes 4 hours to tune by pro on dyno). then youll have to spool the turbo so you have less lag. that right there is easily 6g. engine only.

if that setup there pushes say 400hp at 20# boost, then it to a stage 1/2 clutch (not a ceramic puck, youll blow the tranny and diff) a lightweight flywheel with machined and hardened surface for high hp, need a different tranny and rebuilt to withstand that power, have to reinforce the subframe both engine and tranny, diff wouldnt hurt either, get a better suspension setup, bigger brakes, bigger wheels and tires. thats easily 8g there.

so in the end, a 24v m50 swap would be cheaper and better in the long run. hands down

·
Registered
9 Posts
i beg to differ

m42 is weak turbo or not. even on big boost your going to make low power with not so great torque. research before you make that bad move.
I have owned three M42 e30s and love all of them. The latest turbo version only runs a very mild boost and can spank my brother's 96' e36 M3 that has cams ground to schrick performance specs, shark injection, active autowerks exhaust, underdrive pullies, billet alluminum flywheel, cold air kit, e36 m3 euro intake manifold, beefier injectors, the list goes on and on.

After all, the only reason BMW produced the M42 e30 was to meet the requirement to enter into the short lived American Touring Car Series. It essentially has all the technology of the newer cars (DIS ignition) but the good ole' e30 chassis. It is also the lightest e30 made. lighter then even the e30 M3 and all of the evo versions of it.

In fact, just a stock e30 318is with a 4.44 rear end has a faster 1/4 mile time then a stock e30 325is.

Finally, the M42 is very reliable and very carefree in maintenance. It does not use a rubber timing belt like the 325's (very weird why BMW decided on a flimsy rubber timing belt system for those engines) and it uses self adjusting hydraulic valve lifters so no need for a valve job every 10k miles.
Only that damn profile gasket blunder is a slight problem but once its done, the motor should be good to go for a good 100k-ish

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
In fact, just a stock e30 318is with a 4.44 rear end has a faster 1/4 mile time then a stock e30 325is.
that right there is like saying, "im faster cause i have shorter legs"

just because regearing a 318 is faster in the quarter then the 325, doesnt mean its a better car in general. hell a ariel atom v8 is probably the fastest car in the world, seeing that is has twice the power to weight ratio then the veyron. regear that and itll be untouchable, until you hit a june bug at 250 and die instantly from the impact, then the burning inferno to shortly fallow

·
610EUROs
6,955 Posts
im going to call BS and say your talking real hard out of your AS5. you just named off everything you can do to a US m50 to make yourself seem hard. pictures and proof of this highly modified 24v with the "euro intake manifold". talk is cheap, proof is hard.

nobody said go with an m20. the US m50 engines would be the best(read: cost friendly) option out there. it will murder any m42 equipped e30 .. without breaking a sweat.

the m42 is a horrible option. takes alot of money and you wont make near 24v numbers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
car knowledge

so im doing a m42 turbo build but i want to get as much power and quickness as i can out of the engine before i turbo it. whats all i can do?

i plan on so far, headers, exhaust, intake, chip, light weight flywheel, short shifter.

what else, i dont know much about engine stuff, what about new pistons? injectors? im new to engine stuff it would be great if you guys could help!

Thanks.
So adapting a turbo charger onto the car is a bit of a undertaking. If you dont know squat about cars, I highly recommend NOT to do this. Even a lightened flywheel for your car is not the funnest venture to take on.
However, the lightened flywheel will be one of the best things you can do to your car as far as making the drive a lot more sporty and fun.
So to give you an idea of what i am talking about. Roughly 10 years ago when i had my first 91' 318is, I decided to get a lightened flywheel. This was after my brother changed his flywheel in his 96' M3. He went with a 6.5 pound billet aluminum single mass wheel.
When you go that low of weight, you will have drive-ability issues. Mainly vibrations in the cabin along with a very loud and somewhat embarrassing "gear clatter" noise at idle. The noise is extremely loud and makes the car sound like its on it's last legs.
I did not want to make that same mistake so i decided to go with a lightened one from a respectable (or so I thought) BMW machinist. I chose Metric Mechanic and paid about 600 or 700 bucks, i forget since it was a long time ago.
The factory flywheel in your car is a massive 29.5 pound twin mass beast and since it is twin mass, you use a non sprung hubbed clutch. MM claimed they have a 11 pounder for my car so i bought it.
When i got it, it was a single mass flywheel which i think might have even been a lightened version that the 2002ti uses. I was excited and installed it and found that i couldnt even put the car into gear.
I was pissed and concerned so i called them up. He asked me if i had a welder, i said yes.
Well, he said, what you need to do is remove your slave cylinder rod and weld about 1/4 inch to it increasing the length to make up for the difference for going to a single mass.
makes sense i thought, I did this 3 or 4 times and played with various lengths with very little success.
When i called MM the 4th time the guy told me, "ya know, you might be the 3rd man on earth ever to do this" which obviously is not true and means that he isnt going to help me since he has no idea how to.
Lucky for me, i was the operator of South Bay Auto Care Center, Inc. (full repair, auto body, race prep, fab. & everything under the sun) at that time and was looking through a wholesale parts dealer's online catalog.
Thank god for Worldpac!!! I saw on their parts listings that there was what was called a "BMW flywheel spacer" with no picture available. The application was for some super odd, south Africa only, diesel BMW e30. It was about 30 bucks so i figured why not, if i cant use it i can return it since im a shop.
worked out BEAUTIFULLY!
I doubt others would have been able to get all that working, plus whole swap now requires the use of a 325's clutch kit with a sprung hub to dampen engine vibration.
If you dont know much about cars, either learn, or pay others to do it.
Or make a bunch of friends that are great mechanics =p

·
Registered
9 Posts
sure gimmie a few

im going to call BS and say your talking real hard out of your AS5. you just named off everything you can do to a US m50 to make yourself seem hard. pictures and proof of this highly modified 24v with the "euro intake manifold". talk is cheap, proof is hard.

nobody said go with an m20. the US m50 engines would be the best(read: cost friendly) option out there. it will murder any m42 equipped e30 .. without breaking a sweat.

the m42 is a horrible option. takes alot of money and you wont make near 24v numbers.
you would like photos? sure, let me leave work and go home to my desktop for those.
As far as my brother's M3 and his mods, I am going to have to ask him fpor such pictures but he has the cleanest nicest e36 m3 i have ever seen hands down. he is a very anal retentive guy.
I am very harsh and messy and my car reflects it.
My old 71 2002 didnt even have airducts (so no heater or a/c is even possible) and i had to cut a 1 by 2 foot hole on the passenger side floor to have the clearance for raised floor headers.

But in the end, I have this advice.
It is what my very close and long time friend and who i deem as "my person mechanic" since he is a 3rd generation mechanic and the smartest automotive genius i have ever met. Anyways, this wise man said to me, "For the street, it is much better to drive a slow car fast, then it is a fast car slow." I completely agree, I drove my friends 2010 M6 and it is a freakin rocket ship. If i owed such a car and drove it as a daily driver i would be in prison.
This man also told me that, "if you try to make your street car into your race car, you will end up not having a very good race car and not having a very reliable or good street car." Also great advice.
My brother's M3 has urethane everything, the AA transmission mount and convertible lower cross brace, bilstien coilovers, the billet aluminum rear shock mounts, sway bars, etc etc. He has torn his rear shock mounts out of his car twice now and i had to get z3 reinforcement plates to cut and weld into the towers to fix and it still tore it apart. On top of that, he cant really drive around in San Fransisco with that car. At least not some of the streets there.
My daily driver uses H&R progressive springs and bilstien sports and i LOVE that setup for the street.
Anyways, I shall go home now to dig up my crazy ass pictures for you, mr. rude man that insults and slanders people he does not know what so ever.

·
I feed trolls
4,976 Posts
Anyways, I shall go home now to dig up my crazy ass pictures for you, mr. rude man that insults and slanders people he does not know what so ever.
Hey now, no need to get snobby. It just seems a little out there to see a build such as you descirbed without a thread/pics/something else to back your word. Not saying it isnt true or cant be done, but I cant say I've seen an M42 spanking an E36 M3 with mods. It looks like you know a thing or two, so dont be like that and youl fit in around here. Welcome to the fest:thumbup:

·
I feed trolls
4,976 Posts
welcome to the internet where people use their 1st amendment right to the fullest.
:rofl: The 'Fest is like any other Bimmer fansite... except we have the most attitude ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey now, no need to get snobby. It just seems a little out there to see a build such as you descirbed without a thread/pics/something else to back your word. Not saying it isnt true or cant be done, but I cant say I've seen an M42 spanking an E36 M3 with mods. It looks like you know a thing or two, so dont be like that and youl fit in around here. Welcome to the fest:thumbup:
I get your point and agree it may be hard to swallow without any pictures, but there is no need for a direct attack at my character especially when it is about my knowledge and mechanical wisdom.
So, I love to modify anything and everything. from cars to furniture, to computers to even my iphone. That said, i have gone through countless computer builds since my days as a professional grease monkey so pictures from back then are not easy to find; I did find a couple so far though as i continue to look. In those days, it was rare i photo document anything since digital cameras were a relatively new and expensive thing at the time. Also, I am not one to document and post to people on forums, if you notice, i signed up an hour or so ago for the sole purpose of asking a rather odd question but a google search led me to here.

OK, how many BMWs can you find in the pic and what models are they?

This is one of my favorite shots of night time at my shop when i was closing. I had so many customers and cars i could not even fit all of them inside my fairly large shop. This is the repair side, there is a full length bay behind these 2 that is the body side of the business (already parked to the brim with cars since its closing time). The car on the very right is my brother's M3 WAYYY back in the day, a few things have been done to it since. Second car from the left would be 91' 318is number 2 AFTER its upper half paint job.

Here is some weird collage I made (i have no recollection of making this lol) of that 318is getting its innards molested at my shop

Note the bottom right picture has the second 318is after paint and brother's M3 in my shop for various race prep installments.

And another of me with car #2 after its paint prep but before its paint job. (when i got the car it has a near white, heavily oxidized hood, roof and trunk. Not to be confused with the state those parts are in for this photo, that is after hours of wet sanding a nice person did for me in exchange for three 24 packs of Modelo Especial, lol)

I am looking for more pics but i only recall a couple of pics during the turbo installation and the bulk of those pictures were of miscellaneous turbochargers scattered on a shop bench, some used, some taken apart. Like I mentioned, I am not one that normally documents his odd ball projects and posts them because i literally would be non stop photo taking and posting and documenting. I modify EVERYTHING

The turbo system was a semi recent thing, 3 or 4 years after when these pics were taken.

I do however, promise to go to my parent's ranch house about 61 miles south of me (hopefully this weekend if schedule allows) where the turbo M42 e30 is currently parked inside a nice garage and take some nice pictures for everyone to see the severe bastardization i have done to the little monster that can only be tracked.

I just want to state that I do know exactly what i am talking about and not talking out my.... you all can see what was said of my character, i do not need to repeat it.
On top of my love of modifying, I also helped run the BMW CCA GGC autocross events for almost a season and have been a CCA GGC Advanced Car Control Clinic instructor 5 times, also have done some track events here and there but nothing too crazy.. oh except crashing the 2002tii (just about, it's a 2002 with a tii distributor) Gonzo class race car into a wall at Sear's Point when i was tailing a super truck too close.
But i guess my knowledge and experiences fail in comparison to yours fcsteve.
So perhaps you can answer my question that i have no idea where i should post since (as i said) I normally do not go onto or know much about forums posting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
e36 (not e36-5) diff inards into e30 small case housing and clutch packs?

So my question is this:
I have a friend with a 94' 318i 4 door automatic. The POS is on it's last legs. It has a 4.44 LSD in it for some reason i do not understand. Normal 91' 318is's come with a 4.10 open small case differential. My friend will gladly give me his if he still has a diff to use so the car can run and be used. I have a spare 4.10 open small case.
The housings are too different to try and just slightly modify the mounting points and make everything work out okay. I am going to have to swap the ring gear and pinion on them if this plan is to work.
Where can i get a rebuild kit for these 2 differentials?
It seems no one (including BMW themselves) really likes messing with the internals of BMW rear ends.
Also, On Korman's site, it mentions that they are able to make a BMW diff in 50% and 75% lock unlike the factory 25% which is not very much IMHO. That leads me to believe that you can just put in more "clutch packs" (if the space is provided for it) into them to achieve a higher percentage lock. Where can i obtain such kits?
Lastly, If the price is not through the roof, I am also considering purchasing a Quaife instead of the internal swap from the 94' 318i automatic.
Anyone running a Quaife? how do you like it and have you driven a factory BMW e30 with LSD and how do the 2 compare?
Any help on any of these topics would be very much appreciated and I thank whom ever in advance for sharing such knowledge with me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
to lighten the mood

Ok, sorry bout that.
Good advise bout starting a new thread for the diff question, will do, thanks.
So for comic relief. I have found a hilarious picture and a good tip for crazies out there if they ever have a car that is parked on their property and you know no one will ever come and move this car and its been abandoned, you do not have the pink slip to it and you want it gone.
YOU CUT THE CAR INTO 6 PIECES!
then scrap metal collectors will come and gratefully take the pieces of what was once a broken heap of a car that no one will touch or get off your property without paying them money.

As luck would have it when I got the shop there was a 91' 318is with a cracked block left for dead. One night i put it onto a lift, raped it of almost everything decent and even some non decents. Then lowered the shell of a e30 onto the bed of the shop truck and a transmission stand for the rear part of the shell since it was a mini truck and only 1/2 fit the e30 on its bed. Tied a rop around the transmission jack and tied that to the truck and drove it out of my shop and off the lift it was on. Then I thought that people might steal my expensive transmission jack. so i found a metal pole and a truck's bumper support from the alley next to the shop and used them for support members instead of the tranny jack.

(note the white 91' 318is to the right, that was e30 M42 number 1)

Then i tried to cleanly yank the shell to the ground to cut it into 6 pieces...... ridiculous plan that was bound to fail. That is the photo above, I used a rope and looped it around the 318is's rear tow loop and used a fender cover to weight the rope in case the rope were to break, the whip back would not slap the newly repainted 318is body.

Now, just rev it up, drop it in gear, and accelerate as hard as the car can go~

oops. lol as you can see from the mechanic's gesturing, the plan has failed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.