BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am planning ion upgrading my phone from iphone 3GS to motorla Atrix on Att. How is atrix bluetooth performance with the BMW bluetooth system? Are there any connectivity/ bluetooth issues (phone functionality) that anyone has encountered.
On the same topic: How well is android integrated with the BMW idrive system?

I have a 2010 335 coupe

thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use an Android phone with my 328 with iDrive. Mine is post-september '11 build so it has the Combox but I don't know how much difference that makes.

I also have an HTC phone so it is running SenseUI on top of Android. Again, not sure how much impact this has but I can tell you my experience...

I can make and receive calls just fine, view phonebook and call log on the iDrive screen. I usually don't have issues, but I DO have some issues when I am using the phone as a bluetooth audio source. It sometimes doesn't connect automatically on the phone side on startup of the car. Sometimes it takes a long time and sometimes after 10 minutes driving I notice it never connected. However, if I avoid using it as bluetooth audio I think for the most part it works very well. You wouldn't have this problem since you can't use bluetooth audio unless you have the Combox.

My call quality is excellent both incoming and outgoing audio. Answer/hang up from the steering wheel is great.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
On the same topic: How well is android integrated with the BMW idrive system?
I don't think that BMW even knows that Android exists. They certainly don't seem to want anything to do with anything besides Apple and Blackberry.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
I also have an HTC phone...
Which model? I have a Droid Incredible and if I can do everything that you can with your android phone when I get my car I'll be perfectly happy.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mine is an Evo on Sprint running 2.2 Froyo stock, I haven't rooted or run another ROM. You should be fine and the same as me if you're running 2.2.

It shows incoming names on the screen, phone book list with multiple numbers in each, and works with voice dialing as well.

The call log list takes a minute to update each time you start the car but thats not a huge deal.

I think most if not all my issues only came up when I had shut down the car while the phone was hooked up to play Bluetooth audio. Even if I had switched to radio, two icons show up under bluetooth phones - one icon for the voice calls, one for bluetooth streaming...and you can toggle each on/off as you want. If I avoid bluetooth audio it usually doesn't have the hiccups on reconnect of the voice side..

I'm hoping that side of it gets fixed as Android updates, but who knows. Could be an iDrive issue. I hardly ever bluetooth stream though so not a big deal for me. The calling side is great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.