BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a really good method for attaching a Garmin to an E60 so that it looks more built-in?

I don't want to simply stick it on the dash or window.

Any thoughts, photos, ideas?

· Registered
68 Posts
I use a Garmin 255W in my 2008 E61. I mounted the black metal disc that comes with the unit near the right front corner of the flat plastic panel in front of the i-drive screen. The suction cup on the mounting bracket adheres very securely to the metal disc, and the disc is fairly unobtrusive when the bracket is removed. However, I generally leave the bracket in place as it does not block the screen and is not visible from outside the car. The Garmin screen is at the same level as the i-drive screen, but does not interfere with the driver's view, although it does block some of the screen for the passenger. The unit is plugged into the outlet in the footwell, and I store it in the mesh pocket in the footwell, where it is easily accessible, but again not visible from outside. While certainly not like a built-in, this works very well for me.

· Here for life!!!
576 Posts
There is no way to provide a built in look. You can however at least make it look less noticeable. Any placement on the console is going to give you reception issues. I had a Garmin 755t for a while, and I threw out the cheap window mount on day one. I bought a RAM windshield mount, which was heavy duty black metal and had about 6" of extension it which allowed me to mount it low on the windshield and still have the unit close to me. In fact I mounted it on the LEFT edge and somewhat lower corner of the windshield so the the unit ended being about one inch above the height of the steering wheel and set in about 1-2 inches from the steering wheel. This allowed me to actually use the touchscreen with my left hand, while basically still holding the steering wheel. It's in an inconspicuous place so most people don't notice it. I hid the power cable inside the A pillar trim, and then under the dash and through the back of the center console and in the passenger well socket. However, this was done inside the dash so was 100% completely unseen. I have since just learned to get by with the stock NAV, with help from my iphone 3gs, and sold the Garmin. Hopefully NAV in the F10 will be better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.