BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

steviej1
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been driving a 16' 428xi GC for the last seven years. Just traded up to a 2022 M550i. Whoooaa baby, what a big difference. Makes me giggle like a little school girl when I mash the throttle. 馃槺馃槀馃檪. Don't mind me whilst I creep around this sub-forum and get acquainted with y'all and this model.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

steviej

Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
Welcome! Great looking car!

Reactions: steviej1

///Monkeyazz Duck
Welcome. Thanks for meeting the unspoken criteria (pics or it never happened). Next step is to buy a round of drinks for the regulars, and then you will be one of the boys.

As intoxicating as the throttle may be, over time you are going to love the improved fit, finish, creature comforts and the seamless iDrive integration compared to your 428. We loved the looks of our 428 GC but in many ways its beauty was only skin deep. The G30 is a gift that keeps on giving in so many ways.

Registered
Congrats Steve! You are right, it鈥檚 a beast compared to what you had. Welcome to the club. Nice looking spec.

Registered
Congrats, looks great.

Registered
Been driving a 16' 428xi GC for the last seven years. Just traded up to a 2022 M550i. Whoooaa baby, what a big difference. Makes me giggle like a little school girl when I mash the throttle. 馃槺馃槀馃檪. Don't mind me whilst I creep around this sub-forum and get acquainted with y'all and this model.

View attachment 1067648

steviej
Great looking ride and awesome upgrade. I'm pacing the floor waiting for the Phoenix Leader to reach Port Hueneme, CA. It's currently on the Pacific side of the Canal enroute to Lazaro, Mexico, then Long Beach, and finally Port Hueneme. Mine is a 2023 M550i in Tanzanite Blue. Again, congratulations!

Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
Ahh the joy of being a kid st Christmas. Beautiful car in beautiful colour!

I always think it hilarious how in the USA you can buy a 2023 only partway into 2022. Is it akin to the feel-good factor of women鈥檚 clothes sizing where a size 8 is really a size 10?
It is a global thing. BMW starts their model production the same time for all markets.

You can look at it the other way. It starts early enough to give them time to have 2023 cars on the lot on 1/1/2023 and not have to be the bad guy trying to deliver a 2023 car in March 2024 to the poor guy who ordered the last 2023 on 12/31/2023 (if they hypothetically followed the calendar year).

Registered
It is a global thing. BMW starts their model production the same time for all markets.
Thing is, calling it by the following year is not global. Here in NZ if you鈥檙e getting delivery halfway through the year it鈥檚 a 2022 car. Maybe in December there鈥檚 some slide based on delivery to the client and registration but it鈥檚 labelled a 2022.
About to buy a Mitsubishi Outlander 2022 PHEV. USA is calling it a 2023 model despite also saying in the same sentence 鈥..for 2022鈥. It鈥檚 just kinda cute.

Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
Thing is, calling it by the following year is not global. Here in NZ if you鈥檙e getting delivery halfway through the year it鈥檚 a 2022 car. Maybe in December there鈥檚 some slide based on delivery to the client and registration but it鈥檚 labelled a 2022.
About to buy a Mitsubishi Outlander 2022 PHEV. USA is calling it a 2023 model despite also saying in the same sentence 鈥..for 2022鈥. It鈥檚 just kinda cute.
Interesting. So does BMW holdback releasing MY2023 cars there until 2023? Or is it more like the UK where your cars are 鈥減lated鈥 by year the plate was generated. I know the UK posters tend to always say a 2022 plated car, for instance, and plate year isn鈥檛 MY.

I thought the factory changeover for a new MY was global and not regional.

Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
I don't know about other countries, but since I was a kid (now many moons ago!), "new" cars in the U.S. came out in the early fall, like September. There was always a lot of anticipation for the new model year. And that was when there were few "foreign" cars in the U.S. Also, back then, body styles changed almost every year, if only to modify front and rear designs. I think major U.S. brands went to a multi-year "generation" of designs in the late 60's, early 70's, and even then, designs ran for about 2 or 3 years before major facelifts. In the 50's and early 60's, major brands, GM, etc., made pretty major sheet metal changes every year. I could tell you every year of every GM model, Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Olds, Cadillac -- yep, those were the days...

Registered
So does BMW holdback releasing MY2023 cars there until 2023? 鈥
I thought the factory changeover for a new MY was global and not regional.
To me that鈥檚 talking in riddles. The car was manufactured in 2022 so it鈥檚 MY2022. BMW use model numbers and LCI to identify model types. The 鈥淢Yxxxx鈥 would appear to be a North American affectation. Maybe? Certainly not a thing I鈥檝e seen elsewhere. Happy to be wrong about that.

Here, if a car is released and available in a year, even late in the year, it is called that model year. If, say, a model was clearly released elsewhere in 2020, but not available here until 2021 it鈥檒l be called a 2020 model. A spade is a spade.

The UK is at a whole 鈥榥other level where social identifiers = heirachy = self image. The year of the number plate (yes, the letters indicate year of the plate, and thus, for some, the year of the car) holds key value in the race with the Jones next door.

Registered
Getting back to that colour. Tanzanite Blue really is seriously gorgeous. We have an E91 in Mystic Blue which seems to have some of the same feel going by photos. Mystic appears darker in sunlight than in low light. Really is mystical.

Registered
Getting back to that colour. Tanzanite Blue really is seriously gorgeous. We have an E91 in Mystic Blue which seems to have some of the same feel going by photos. Mystic appears darker in sunlight than in low light. Really is mystical.
Thanks Pete. The ship is in Mexico at the moment and will soon be on it's way to Long Beach, CA on the 21st, and finally Port Hueneme, CA where my car will be off loaded and sent to Customs and the VPC. I'm really getting anxious. I've purchased new motorcycles, new snowmobiles, but this will be my first NEW car.

As markl53 stated, ever since I was a youngster (I'm 75 now), the new cars in the US were always announced and orders opened up around the end of September. There were exceptions like the 1964 1/2 Mustang, but the September/October time frame is when the new models were announced. With my BMW, I was on the fence deciding between getting a 2022 in April, or waiting to order the 2023 M550i. I told the CA that I had decided to go with the 2023. He informed me that they would get the 2023 ordering info in mid July, but that he likely wouldn't get an allocation until August. I said, "Let's do it". Well, he called me in June and said he had a 2023 allocation for an M550i, but we would need to act fast before the allocation was taken by another buyer. I asked if there were any changes to the option list, and was informed that there wasn't, so said get'er ordered. He later confirmed that their had been about a $4400.00 price increase with the way I had the vehicle configured. I was sorta expecting a price increase, but $4400.00 sorta took me back. I'm OK with it, and am a bit like a kid on Christmas Eve. Not sure where you are in NZ, but I have been to both the North and South Islands on several occasions. Beautiful country!

Registered
Having been in your shoes anxiously waiting for a ship carrying your baby to come in, I know it's agony. But well worth the wait.

My longest wait was for my 2002 330ci convertible that was ordered for Euro delivery in March 2002 and picked up in Munich on Sept 3rd of that year, driven in Germany, France, Italy, and Monaco for three weeks, then dropped off in Paris. The arrival of the ship in California coincided with a strike at the ports that lasted for weeks. The ship sat within view of Port Hueneme for at least two weeks and then there was a backlog of cars to process. I think it was three months from drop off to pickup at the dealer. Agony. But I still have the car. Coming up on twenty years... It's worth the wait.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts