Here are a couple bulletins on MP3 and CD/CDC Mute:
Full text and PDF

SI B65 30 05
Sound System, Cruise, Alarms, Monitors January 2006
Technical Service

SUBJECT
CCC: MP3 CD Playback Not Available

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series) with SA 609 CCC-Navigation from 3/05 to 9/29/05 vehicle production

E63, E64 (6 Series) from 3/05 to 9/29/05 vehicle production

E90, E91 (3 series)) with SA 609 CCC-Navigation vehicles produced up to 9/29/05

SITUATION
The MP3 option is not available in the audio menu. When an MP3 CD is used, it is not recognized as a valid CD.

CAUSE
The stability of earlier CCC (Car Communication Computer) software did not allow for proper MP3 functionality.

PROCEDURE

On a customer complaint basis only, retrofit MP3 functionality using Progman V20.00 or higher.

Refer to the SI B09 05 01 Coding, Individualization, Programming (CIP), for the "Retrofit" procedure.

Select "MP3" from the retrofit list and follow the on screen instructions for retrofitting MP3 capability.

The service code "KMP3" will be added to the end of the vehicle order as displayed in the Measures Plan.

After the procedure is complete, turn the ignition off and wait 5 minutes or until the driver's switch block LED goes out. Check the functionality of the system.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code
65 83 94 23 00

Labor Operation:
Retrofit MP3 (programming/coding

performed as part of a Technical

Campaign)

Labor Operation
Labor Allowance

+00 56 743
4 FRU (E60, E61, E91)

3 FRU (M5, E63, E64, E90)

Labor Operation:
Retrofit MP3

Labor Operation
Labor Allowance

00 56 110
10 FRU (E60, E61, E91)

9 FRU (M5, E63, E64, E90)

+00 56 744
8 FRU (E60, E61, E91)

7 FRU (M5, E63, E64, E90)

Labor Operation:
Retrofit MP3 and program/code control

modules

Labor Operation
Labor Allowance

00 56 111
16 FRU (E60, E61, E91)

15 FRU (M5, E63, E64, E90)

+00 56 745
15 FRU (E60, E61, E91)

14 FRU (M5, E63, E64, E90)

Labor Operation:
Retrofit MP3 and program/code control

modules (including CAS)

Labor Operation
Labor Allowance

00 56 112
17 FRU (E60, E61, E91)

16 FRU (M5, E63, E64, E90)

+00 56 746
16 FRU (E60, E61, E91)

15 FRU (M5, E63, E64, E90)

Note: Should the vehicle be affected at the same time by another repair in which programming of control units is also required, programming may be claimed only once.

Note: The following explanations will spell out the correct use of the work times.

Main Work:
Use this labor operation number when the only repair performed is the listed warranty repair.

OR

+Associated Work:
Use this labor operation number when other repairs or services are performed along with the listed warranty repair.
Under no circumstances should both labor operation numbers be claimed. Attempts to claim both times will result in an unnecessary delay in claim processing and payment.

---------------------------------------

SI B 65 32 05
Sound System, Cruise, Alarms, Monitors January 2006
Technical Service

SUBJECT
CCC: CD/CDC Track Counter Advances After Mute Selected

MODEL
E90, E91 (3 Series) with SA 609 CCC-Navigation

E60, E61 (5 Series) with SA 609 CCC-Navigation

E63, E64 (6 Series)

SITUATION
One or more of the following situations can occur since the vehicle software was updated with CIP 16.1, while the customer is listening to an audio CD in the CCC (Car Communication Computer) or the CDC (CD Changer):

The customer presses the rotary knob to mute the audio and turns the controller to highlight the next track, the track counter starts to advance.

The customer presses the rotary knob to mute the audio and turns the ignition off. The vehicle enters sleep mode and then the customer turns the ignition back on, the audio is still muted but the track counter is advancing.

CAUSE
CCC software error

PROCEDURE
Do not replace any parts.

Once a software solution is available this service information will be updated.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
For Information only

Attachments

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
Dave - I don't have premium sound, but my build date was Sept. 13, 2005. Do I have the potential of MP3 capability or is that only for premium sound?

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Malibubimmer said:
Dave - I don't have premium sound, but my build date was Sept. 13, 2005. Do I have the potential of MP3 capability or is that only for premium sound?
I thought all 650'scould play MP3s. :dunno:

This is good news! But I will wait for the next oil change. Maybe some more goodies will come along by then.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Malibubimmer said:
I think yours can play MP3, Mal.

·
Banned
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Malibubimmer said:
No you should either be able to play them now or by following this bulletin you should be able to play them after the update process.

·
Grand Panjandrum
296 Posts
So does this mean that a way to ensure you have version 20.0.. of the software loaded is to request the MP3 retrofit? Presumably this can be done anytime during the life of the new car warranty?

Slightly off topic but by the way what is the benefit of an MP3 CD - more tracks than burning a regular audio CD?

·
Banned
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fitch said:
So does this mean that a way to ensure you have version 20.0.. of the software loaded is to request the MP3 retrofit? Presumably this can be done anytime during the life of the new car warranty?

Slightly off topic but by the way what is the benefit of an MP3 CD - more tracks than burning a regular audio CD?
Yes.

And - Many more. About a 10 to 1 ratio even when recorded at high bit rates

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
cobradav said:
Yes.

And - Many more. About a 10 to 1 ratio even when recorded at high bit rates
Correct, you should be able to get 600MB of music on a CD with MP3's.

If you figure the average song is 4MB in size, that is 150 songs.

·
Grand Panjandrum
296 Posts
cobradav said:
Yes.

And - Many more. About a 10 to 1 ratio even when recorded at high bit rates.
chuck92103 said:
Correct, you should be able to get 600MB of music on a CD with MP3's.

If you figure the average song is 4MB in size, that is 150 songs.
Got it - thanks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
So, I asked the dealer to provide the MP3 compability. Unfortunately, I think they goofed it. They upgraded me to v20, but I don't think they did the retrofit step.

If I put in a CD with MP3's on them it doesn't recognize the disk.

But, to be sure:
1) What capacity CD did you use?
2) What structure are you storing the MP3's on the disk
3) CBR or VBR MP3's?

I'll burn a CD with the same settings and confirm it works or doesn't work before going back to the dealer with the bulletin exactly detailing the steps.

Thanks, Gary

·
Registered
47 Posts
Picked up my car this afternoon from Brecht BMW, where I had taken it in for a number of issues including MP3 playback. Apparently I was the first e90 that they've done this update on... in fact they didn't know anything about it until I provided them with the SIB from BMW NA.

MP3 now works, which is nice, but the software update hosed the TCU...BMW Assist/Bluetooth now do not work.

To Gary: If you have NERO, there should be an option somewhere to burn a standard MP3 disc. Have you checked to see if a PC will recognize the MP3 CD?

·
Registered
215 Posts
A PC will recognize the disk. I'm actually thinking they did they v20.1 update, but didn't do the retrofit step. I'm rescheduling for them to do that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
MP3 After Update

I have an 05 645 (built in June of 05). I just had the CIP 20 update performed and asked the dealership to add the MP3 retrofit as well. Everything seems to work well. This update also fixed the lack of RDS capability in the radio as well which was a big thing for me.

My first pass on making MP3 cds was a failure. On the first disk I used the native Windows XP cd write capability which apparently left the disk open for future writes. This disk wasn't recognized by the 6er's player. I then created a disk that was "closed" and that worked perfectly. I've since created 3 or 4 disks with 150 songs each on them and they all work great.

As mentioned elsewhere, the cd player in the dash recognizes the MP3 disks but the changer in the glove box doesn't.

David

·
Registered
22 Posts
thanks- just put the call into my SA and e-mailed the info you sent me. he is looking into the retrofit now. much appreciated. Jonny

·
Banned
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks- just put the call into my SA and e-mailed the info you sent me. he is looking into the retrofit now. much appreciated. Jonny
Oh, good. And glad u resurrected this thread as a reminder of that CIP 20 being the start of the MP3 retrofit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've already been 0 for 2 at BMW dealerships trying to install this retrofit. The first dealer told me I brought my car in too late in the day... and the second told me that my car could already play MP3's (idiots... they were wrong). I will probably be PMing some of you for tips!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just got mine done today. To no avail, mp3's still don't work. BUT, the entire iDrive looks completely different. New main screens, new colours, new graphics.. pretty cool but with out mp3 capability it wasn't worth the 6 hours they needed it for.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts