Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm getting 16.3 avg for city driving, i drive it hard once in a while (red line shifts), and it has 1200 miles on it, is this what everyone is getting? what happened to 20/30 factory estimate?

·
Registered
115 Posts
If I drive only city, I get 22'ish. With even a little freeway it picks up quickly. My normal commute yields 26.

I suggest just backing off a little bit. A small difference in acceleration can reduce consuption a good deal. That is, if you want more mpg :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but bmrama, even when i drove it to north nj all hiway for about 1.5 hrs it only improved to 20.6. could there be a computer reset or any other fix?

·
Registered
32 Posts
zamalek said:
i'm getting 16.3 avg for city driving, i drive it hard once in a while (red line shifts), and it has 1200 miles on it, is this what everyone is getting? what happened to 20/30 factory estimate?
Eeeek! What happend to your break-in period? I'd wait until your suggested break-in period is over. The MPG should level off by then. But, just a hunch.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine's 'leveled off' at 20.6 with 2300 mi on it. No better than the E46 325i I owned before it, but with 60 hp more than the E46, I guess I can't complain.

BTW that's a 60/40 Hwy/City mix.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the owner's manual suggested 1200 miles break in, the dealer said 500, so i started punching it after about 700 miles, i hope that it would get better as the milage increases. thanks guys.

·
Registered
97 Posts
zamalek said:
but bmrama, even when i drove it to north nj all hiway for about 1.5 hrs it only improved to 20.6. could there be a computer reset or any other fix?
20.6 seems too little. I have a 325 not 330 but I got 30 with the cruise control set to 75 mph. I get 22 on my daily commute with is 20 min highway 15 min twisty back roads.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Zam, where are you getting your MPG? Is it from the center console or by dividing miles driven by gallons of gas?

The center console is based on only the last 18 miles of driving, and so its constantly resetting to represent your most recent driving activity. The only way to get an accurate long term mpg is by using the miles driven/gallons pumped method.

You can reset the center console to 0 by holding the button on the stalk in for about 5 seconds when MPG is being displayed. Try doing that at 70mph on a freeway where you can drive for 20 miles @ 70mph. It should read around 30, and keep that up.

I have never been able to get my computer to read below 18, and that was at a BMW Car Club Rally where I was hammering the car round mountain roads.

Last question for this post, are you putting Octane 91 or above in?

·
Registered
97 Posts
You can set the trip computer to get the mpg - at least with i-drive

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bmrama, i'm getting the reading from the dash, i will try the reset button and see what happens, i put either sunoco ultra 93 or shell v-power 93.

·
Registered
32 Posts
zamalek said:
the owner's manual suggested 1200 miles break in, the dealer said 500, so i started punching it after about 700 miles, i hope that it would get better as the milage increases. thanks guys.
oh, i thought break in was 2,000 miles. :dunno:

·
Freude am Fahren
19,687 Posts
aphall said:
oh, i thought break in was 2,000 miles.
2000 km, 1200 miles. But NOT 500miles.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Engine break-in is another holy-war source.

See this: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm as an example. He's applying it to motorcycle engines, but if the pics are legit, they're pretty telling...

Be neat to have 40-50K to spend on engines and test it out for oneself...

--gos

·
Registered
457 Posts
zamalek said:
i'm getting 16.3 avg for city driving, i drive it hard once in a while (red line shifts), and it has 1200 miles on it, is this what everyone is getting?
That's about right. You can get closer to 20mpg by watching mpg meter every sec and driving very, very carefully. (But if you're gonna do that, you should've bought prius. ) 30mpg on hwy seems no problem though.

·
Registered
457 Posts
zamalek said:
20.6 is the AVERAGE. If you had accumulated 200 mi city drive prior to your hwy drive, for instance, the average mpg won't move much. If you only had 20 mi, on the other hand, the mpg will shoot up quickly. Just reset the trip computer before your hwy drive next time, and you'll see something close to 30mpg.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
i got 30 mpg on a long trip to NY this week. It's 6th gear the whole way, not driving aggressively. I'm pretty happy with that.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
BMRAMA said:
The center console is based on only the last 18 miles of driving, and so its constantly resetting to represent your most recent driving activity. The only way to get an accurate long term mpg is by using the miles driven/gallons pumped method.
That was definitely not true on my E36, and so far doesn't appear true on my E46.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Dawg90 said:
That was definitely not true on my E36, and so far doesn't appear true on my E46.
I remembered 18 miles very specifically, so I got out the manual. The 18 miles thing is based on the range cacluation, not mpg.

Page 65:

Displays the estimated cruising range available
with the remaining fuel. The range is calculated
on the basis of the way the car has been driven
over the last 18miles/30km and the amount of
fuel currently in the tank.

I guess the mpg is calculated continually.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
BMRAMA said:
I remembered 18 miles very specifically, so I got out the manual. The 18 miles thing is based on the range cacluation, not mpg.

Page 65:

Displays the estimated cruising range available
with the remaining fuel. The range is calculated
on the basis of the way the car has been driven
over the last 18miles/30km and the amount of
fuel currently in the tank.

I guess the mpg is calculated continually.
Yeah, the range calculation behaves like that, that's right.

Does the E46 have a range calculation, I couldn't find it? I should break out my manual I guess. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts