BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, since I have a MPG gauge on my 2008 328i, I do tend to look at it. I noticed something weird especially when you first start to drive off. So it starts at 12MPG and I coast to a traffic light that is about 2 minutes away. When I take my foot off the gas pedal, the needle moves left to the 50MPG range but as soon as I step on the brakes, the needle swings right to the 20MPG and then quickly back to the left to the 50MPG range when the car comes to a complete stop. BMW advises against "warming up" the engine, suggests driving off at moderate speed for the first few minutes. This only happens everytime when I first drive off (cold engine). Since I don't have a oil temp gauge, I don't know if its because the engine is still cold after 2 mins at speed no greater than 30mph. It doesn't happen the next time I have to come to a complete stop which is after driving 6 miles on the highway. Anyone has noticed the same thing or know why this happens?

·
Registered
258 Posts
it is really odd of bmw not to provide a temp guage on the 328.

I owned a 328 before and did notice lot of different things.
when driving at speeds like 1mph ( 0 - 5mph and release the throttle) the mpg swings all the way to 50 and stays there until the car stops. well it is right but shouldn't it be at 50 when completely stopped too because no miles but gas is burnt.

another thing is when i use the cruise control the mpg sticks at 35 and occasionaly comes to 20's but the avg mpg is still below 30 even though i drive for many miles like that.

and also when i don't use cruise most of time it shows close to lower 20's or in 10's and when i release the throttle it swings to 50 and i keep it that way for long and still i get mpg way less than 30.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think I'm going to miss the MPG gauge when I get a coupe... It's so nice and dynamic.

Advantage: E46.

Quark

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
For starters, the gauge makes a whole lot of sense in metric l/100km consumption, but that's out of the question for the majority for US folks. :neener:

Technically, while idling, you are getting 0 MPG. However, BMW treats idling as 0 consumption, and thus has always had the needle point in the infinity direction.

The highest fuel consumption is upon start off. From 0-30mph, you are usually consuming off the scale, normally anywhere from 2.5-10 MPG. In lower gears, efficiency is lower and getting a 3500lb vehicle to move requires lots of fuel. As speeds increase, you will finally begin to move back into the readable portion of the energy control gauge and be able to make use of the gauge.

The gauge is most useful at higher speeds, where throttle position can make a significant impact on consumption.

With the new 6AT, the torque converter is locked up right after start-off, increasing efficiency. Thus, when you lift off at say, 35mph, the revs stay and consumption drops to 0. This wasn't the case for older BMWs, as the converter locked up only at higher speeds. When braking, the torque converter decouples at ~40km/h, and thus you have a little bit of fuel consumed until you hit 0, at which point, the needle falls to infinity and the whole cycle starts all over again.

I really like the instant fuel consumption gauge/energy control. It's a good way to minimise fuel consumption.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,865 Posts
There is one on E9x

I think I'm going to miss the MPG gauge when I get a coupe... It's so nice and dynamic.

Advantage: E46.

Quark
There's a continuous mode MPG readout available as one of the functions of the multi-function display in the center of the gauge cluster.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Apparently not all 328's are created equal. My '08 328i E93 has an oil temperature gauge and the BC (trip computer) has both an average and instantaneous MPG indicator.

Is it just the 328 E90's that have the mileage indicator and no temperature indication?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Apparently not all 328's are created equal. My '08 328i E93 has an oil temperature gauge and the BC (trip computer) has both an average and instantaneous MPG indicator.

Is it just the 328 E90's that have the mileage indicator and no temperature indication?
I believe its just E90's and E91's that have the MPG gauge and no temp gauge. I know E92's have the temp gauge and now we know the E93's have it as well.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,865 Posts
My '08 E90 has oil temp gauge

I believe its just E90's and E91's that have the MPG gauge and no temp gauge. I know E92's have the temp gauge and now we know the E93's have it as well.
I think it's a matter of what year the E9x is. Originally they had the MPG gauge there and then replaced it at some point with the oil temp gauge. Not sure what year it changed.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
All coupes, cabriolets have the oil temperature. The sedans equipped with the twin-turbo motor also have the oil temperature. All US tourings and non-turbo sedans have the traditional energy control gauge.

·
Better with Butter
2,526 Posts
My 335 sedan has the oil temp gauge in place of the MPG gauge. I have a computer readout function which shows instantaneous MPG on the computer display between the tach/speedo though.

·
335... is alive!
196 Posts
Have to say, the oil temp gauge on the 335 is certainly important, but it's kind of amusing to watch the MPG gauge bounce all over the place as you drive on a non-turbo car. One of the rare moments of goofiness in a pretty serious interior.

·
Current 'Fest Addict
944 Posts

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Have to say, the oil temp gauge on the 335 is certainly important, but it's kind of amusing to watch the MPG gauge bounce all over the place as you drive on a non-turbo car. One of the rare moments of goofiness in a pretty serious interior.
Minimising fuel consumption is important (to me), and doing so is one of the many goals for me in driving. 1st priority is safety, 2nd priority is getting to the destination in a timely matter, and 3rd is minimising fuel consumption. :dunno:

Of course, there are *occasional* times where #3 takes a backseat to driving enjoyment :angel:. I've burned thru 2 gallons of fuel in the X3 in a matter of a few miles before.

·
VIII
8,087 Posts
There's a continuous mode MPG readout available as one of the functions of the multi-function display in the center of the gauge cluster.
Yeah I was just going to chime in and say that. I liked the MPG gauge I had in my 04 330i and did miss it when I got the M3. I don't see why they couldn't have incorporated into the M3's dash in addition to the oil temp gauge (which is obviously more important in an M3). I didn't think I had one again when I got my 335i but I was pleasantly surprised to see it had an electronic real time MPG gauge in addition to the average MPG gauge. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2007, 335i, with nav. Is there a way to see the continuous MPG's? I couldn't find it in the owners manual. I did find the average mpg in idrive.

-sp
my first bmw
owner since 1/13/2011

·
Registered
131 Posts
Minimising fuel consumption is important (to me), and doing so is one of the many goals for me in driving. 1st priority is safety, 2nd priority is getting to the destination in a timely matter, and 3rd is minimising fuel consumption. :dunno:

Of course, there are *occasional* times where #3 takes a backseat to driving enjoyment :angel:. I've burned thru 2 gallons of fuel in the X3 in a matter of a few miles before.
Too bad #1 fights #2, and #2 fights #3.

If driving enjoyment can be called #4, it probably works pretty well with #2 though . . .

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
I like to reset my mpg gauge when I am breezing down the Interstate. It's the only time I can get 38 mpg-only for a brief instant, but it's nice to see. :D

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I have 2007, 335i, with nav. Is there a way to see the continuous MPG's? I couldn't find it in the owners manual. I did find the average mpg in idrive.

-sp
my first bmw
owner since 1/13/2011
I don't believe so. The 328i has the "Energy Control" instananeous mpg gauge in place of your oil temp gauge and the 135i displays it as part of the OBC, but at least you know your engine temp!

Tom

·
Registered
433 Posts
So when you have the mpg gauge, is there a why to find out the oil and/or coolant temp? That gauge is the most useless thing I've ever seen in a car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts