BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just drove my 2000 323i with 126K miles from New Jersey to Arizona at speed-limit+7MPH
2600 miles at 30.1 MPG on 91-93 Exxon and Shell gas in 3 days.
Oil-consumption zero.

·
No User Serviceable Parts
1,464 Posts
nice! I would be happy if I ever saw 25
I get 30 all the time when highway driving, and that's not even interstate. I wonder if your lower mileage is in part due to the extra baggage with the 4x4 transfer case and stuff?

325s "supposedly" get worse mileage than the 330s because the engine has to work harder to do the same job. Based on relhoks' report, that may not be accurate.

Relhoks, did you have passengers and/or considerable luggage?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Nice. I remeber one time I went from Chicago to St Louis and I did about 34MPG speed limit all the way.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I get 30 all the time when highway driving, and that's not even interstate. I wonder if your lower mileage is in part due to the extra baggage with the 4x4 transfer case and stuff?

325s "supposedly" get worse mileage than the 330s because the engine has to work harder to do the same job. Based on relhoks' report, that may not be accurate.

Relhoks, did you have passengers and/or considerable luggage?
No passenger. One suitcase. The heaviest stuff is my tools. Not going anywhere without them. How big a difference between 2 and 3 pedals. (Auto vs manual.)

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
With gas price again approaching $4/gal, I have to resort to drastic measures to increase my mpg.

I can either shut down my engine when approaching red lights, get out and push my car and jump back in to give it a rolling start after a complete stop, strip the interior of all unneeded weight from the car such as seats, radio, mirror etc, tailgate really close to reduce drag, use lteflon coated ow rolling resistance tires coupled with low friction brakes (friction bad), cannibalize my 93 corolla for the engine and put it in the bimmer, wax my car 20 times to decrease the cod

Or I can trade my 325 in for a Prius?

Decisions decisions

·
Supporting Member
1,519 Posts
Just drove my 2000 323i with 126K miles from New Jersey to Arizona at speed-limit+7MPH
2600 miles at 30.1 MPG on 91-93 Exxon and Shell gas in 3 days.
Oil-consumption zero.
I'd say that is pretty typical. Mine does the same thing.

·
No User Serviceable Parts
1,464 Posts
Or I can trade my 325 in for a Prius?
Do so, and expect to be blackballed from this forum. :p

I would expect to see a bigger push towards telecommuting for those whose jobs allow them to. Unfortunately, I have to be onsite.

Relhoks, how much do yer tools weigh? You can double the weight of your car with a Smolck-sized set of tools!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You do realize that the best accuracy you can hope for is about plus or minus 1 mpg, right?
I always calculate the MPG after each fill-up.
These are the numbers.
31.2, 30.2, 30.5, 30.3, 29.6, 28.8 Average is 30.1. That is also exactly what I read off the dash.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts