BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my car for a little under a year now and I've noticed that in city driving, my car only gets a brutal 10-12mpg. Highway driving is a totally different story. 40mpg. I recently got 496 miles from a full tank, on a highway drive. I'm just curious as to how many miles have you gotten out of a full tank strictly on highway drives.

·
Casual Fanatic
2,172 Posts
04 525i 130K pre-LCI
Add that to your "Mein Auto".

Something doesn't seem right. 10 - 12 mpg is too low for city driving and 40 is outrageously high for highway. You should be getting about 21 - 26 mpg overall. How did you make your calculations?

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
25 mpg in everyday mix of suburban and highway mileage. I get 29 on the highway, averaging a consistent 10 over. Stop and go eats gas.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got the reading from the dash. I know there must be something up but just don't know. The car is extremely good on the highway even at 80mph the mpg says 40 and the needle always stays closer to the 50

·
Casual Fanatic
2,172 Posts
I wouldn't trust the readout. You need to fill the tank, zero out your trip odometer, and when you need gas again, fill the tank, note the gallons it took, and divide that into the miles on your trip odometer. Keep doing that. Over time, you will get a sense of what your true gas mileage is.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's exactly what I did last week on a 500 mile trip. Full tank gave me 490 miles exaclty

·
Registered
110 Posts
23 to 28 for me depending on what kind of driving and that's with awd, so I'll take it... Could probably get 30-32 outta the right tank of gas and just going about 78mph straight down the interstate though.

·
Casual Fanatic
2,172 Posts
That's exactly what I did last week on a 500 mile trip. Full tank gave me 490 miles exaclty
How many gallons did you put in?

·
Casual Fanatic
2,172 Posts
That makes it about 30 mpg. Not bad. Better than the 23 that I get.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At the end of the trip it did say 32.2 mpg. I remember earlier this year taking a 200 mile trip and it was reading 42.0mpg at 85mph

·
Casual Fanatic
2,172 Posts
Those are snapshots in time. The averages are what matter most day-to-day. Congratulations!

·
Registered
84 Posts
At the end of the trip it did say 32.2 mpg. I remember earlier this year taking a 200 mile trip and it was reading 42.0mpg at 85mph
Unless it was all downhill, that would be unlikely to go 85 mph and 42 mpg over 200 miles. I would suspect there's something going on with the computer's calculation

·
Registered
84 Posts
Although possible, you might also want to do an odometer check and see if 1 mile actually equals one mile. Even at 490 miles with 18 gallons of fuel is 27 average mpg. With 16 gallons, still only 30.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If your name implies anything BronxE60, 10-12mpg sounds about right for city mileage in NYC traffic. I don't think I've seen anyone get higher than 13-15 with a non-hybrid.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
If your name implies anything BronxE60, 10-12mpg sounds about right for city mileage in NYC traffic. I don't think I've seen anyone get higher than 13-15 with a non-hybrid.
The variables are obvious and were mentioned in this thread.
BUT if you are constantly resetting, you will be getting some absurd numbers. If you reset and do your city driving you will be picking up the really low numbers. NOTE: if you look at your MPG (instantaneous) gauge, you will see some cases of "0"MPG, and cases of "99" Mpg.

If you reset, then drive on the highway, you will be getting absurdly high numbers. The only way to test would be as noted by dividing actual miles by actual gallons used.:thumbup:

·
Casual Fanatic
2,172 Posts
The only way to test would be as noted by dividing actual miles by actual gallons used.:thumbup:
If you know that you will not be doing any highway driving for a few days, you could conceivably get your city mileage by zeroing out the trip odometer, filling up, doing your city-only driving, and then fill up again, noting the gallons and miles traveled. I think it's more accurate the more miles you travel, but it should at least be in the ballpark.

·
Registered
637 Posts
At 16.5 gallons, that makes it 29.7, not 40. Looking at the needle is subjective, if you only look at it on down hills or while not accelerating.

29 MPG on highway is good for your car. Do the division next time you drive street only, you might find out you're getting 20MPG. I get ~19.5 on my 535ix

1 - 20 of 29 Posts