Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While reading Automobile magazine (Oct. 2002 - page 74) I came across a two-page spread titled "10 Best Places to Speed" in the world.

Hmmmm.... Luck would have it, of the three located in the United States, one is right in my backyard! Apparently, this "straight and level for miles" road parallels I-40 east of Barstow (east of Los Angeles).

A quick search on Google turned up phrases like this... "The stock truck was then taken to Mrs. Orcutt's driveway, a 5-mile long stretch of perfectly flat road in California's Mojave Desert, for top speed runs and coast down testing." He he he.

A little more searching turned this up:

http://www.bankspower.com/FNN/Banks_FridayNight_030102.html

Now, the problem... I can't find it on a map!

Does anyone know exactly where it is?

·
superwagon pilot
1,388 Posts
look up crucero road, ludlow california.

I looked very closely on MS Streets 2k2 and this very small road runs from RT 40 straight to nowhere.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No map on your link. Can you save the image and post it?

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think that is it. The road is a private driveway, made by the State of California because I-40 cut her off.

It is apparently 5 miles long, and perfectly straight. At the end of the road is her house. She died about 15 years ago...

·
superwagon pilot
1,388 Posts
well then, look up Memorial Drive, Newberry Springs, Ca.

It fits the description in the article perfectly, parallels rt 40 pefectly straight for 4 miles, almost exactly 25 miles from barstow, dead ends in a circle just off the fort caddy road exit

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave,

I read that quote already. It was from a passenger in a Supra, I think.

I am going to AAA at lunch to get a detailed map of San Bernardino County. It should be on it!

- Mike

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Josh (PA) said:
well then, look up Memorial Drive, Newberry Springs, Ca.

It fits the description in the article perfectly, parallels rt 40 pefectly straight for 4 miles, almost exactly 25 miles from barstow, dead ends in a circle just off the fort caddy road exit
GOOD JOB!

This looks like it is the road. The name also makes sense (considering Mrs. Orcutt died about 15 years ago).

Now, let me confirm...

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I (oops, we) found it!

Using the Terraserver, Mapquest satellite images, and hints from other sites and members, I was able to find the road.

It runs north of, and parallel to, I-40 (which runs just north of, and parallel to, old Route 66). In this image, I drew a red arrow to 'Mrs. Orcutt's Driveway.' You can clearly see I-40 and Route 66 in the image. The four parallel lines are (from the top): RR track, Mrs. Orcutt's Driveway, I-40, Route 66.

It has been officially re-named 'Memorial Drive' and is in the city of Newberry Springs, California. For scale, the entire road runs about 3.5 miles in length.

I am going to check it out at the end of this month (in the Porsche, of course). I will post pics.

Attachments

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Emission said:
I (oops, we) found it!

Using the Terraserver, Mapquest satellite images, and hints from other sites and members, I was able to find the road.

It runs north of, and parallel to, I-40 (which runs just north of, and parallel to, old Route 66). In this image, I drew a red arrow to 'Mrs. Orcutt's Driveway.' You can clearly see I-40 and Route 66 in the image. The four parallel lines are (from the top): RR track, Mrs. Orcutt's Driveway, I-40, Route 66.

It has been officially re-named 'Memorial Drive' and is in the city of Newberry Springs, California. For scale, the entire road runs about 3.5 miles in length.

I am going to check it out at the end of this month (in the Porsche, of course). I will post pics.
Nice work and kudos to Josh for the assist:thumbup:

I think a video from the DV group is in order:p

·
superwagon pilot
1,388 Posts
Emission said:

GOOD JOB!

This looks like it is the road. The name also makes sense (considering Mrs. Orcutt died about 15 years ago).

Now, let me confirm...
No problem, glad i could help.

Everyone might want to pick up a copy of MS Streets and Trips 2k2, awesome program, i've yet to find a road that's not listed on there.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave,

Can you steal us some top-secret NASA pics of the place? How about a real-time feed to watch for cops when we are out there?

:)

T

·
0 Posts
Emission said:
I (oops, we) found it!

Cool crop circles in the lower left corner. :D

·
KWiK
223 Posts
I know the zoom isn't that good, but comparing I40 to Memorial Drive, I don't think that road has much (if any) pavement left. :(

Do we have any Barstow members that can check it out?

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Of course now that its in the Automobile (well, that's how we discovered it), a buncha people are gonna be lined up there, and CalTrans is gonna shut it down. :p :thumbdwn:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts