BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in the city comes with a lot of stop and go driving making the auto start/stop feature useful. Does anyone know what all is needed to retrofit this feature? Im not finding a whole lot of info. I have an '11 X6M.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
I think feasibility is low. Reasons are the starter and other components are beefed up to put up with higher demands and there would be quite a bit of coding involved.

Most people who have ASS hate it, surprised anyone would look to retrofit it. It's kinda like the runflat and dipstick and spare tire thing in terms of popularity in the US. We have ASS on the 4 series and it does not bother me, then again I don't drive the car all that much. Only time it gets a bit confused is when coming to stop for a brief second then picking up again, there are times when you expect it to stop the engine and it doesn't (like in stop and go actually), but other than that it is fairly unobtrusive.

Why are you looking to do this? Given X6M surely it can't be a fuel economy concern.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think feasibility is low. Reasons are the starter and other components are beefed up to put up with higher demands and there would be quite a bit of coding involved.

Most people who have ASS hate it, surprised anyone would look to retrofit it. It's kinda like the runflat and dipstick and spare tire thing in terms of popularity in the US. We have ASS on the 4 series and it does not bother me, then again I don't drive the car all that much. Only time it gets a bit confused is when coming to stop for a brief second then picking up again, there are times when you expect it to stop the engine and it doesn't (like in stop and go actually), but other than that it is fairly unobtrusive.

Why are you looking to do this? Given X6M surely it can't be a fuel economy concern.
Boredom is one reason. Gas isn't really the main driver, just a nice to have.

My wife's Audi has this feature and its really nice for city driving. Ive little issue with it and have learned how to drive with it.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,538 Posts
Engines built for Automatic Start Stop service have big end bearings coated with polymer lubricant for frequent operation before oil lubrication is available. BMW's polymer lubricant is called IROX, apparently by GLYCO / Federal Mogul Powertrains.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Engines built for Automatic Start Stop service have big end bearings coated with polymer lubricant for frequent operation before oil lubrication is available. BMW's polymer lubricant is called IROX, apparently by GLYCO / Federal Mogul Powertrains.
From what I understand the ASS system was introduced around 2010 and was an option on most vehicles by 2011. This seems to indicate that the engines were already setup to accommodate it and that its a likely an additional module, switch and some coding.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Short answer is its not really possible. Also not sure why you would spend the extra for an M to save so little with start/stop. I personally think the start/stop feature for all manufactures is a joke at the consumers expense. The little fuel and emissions they save don't out weight the extra overhead in repairs down the road. Sure the first owner doesn't care with the warranty and the manufacture looks better. Once the warranty runs out who is going to pay to replace the worn out start/stop motor, the extra wear and tear on the battery from the start/stop, and heat related damage from disrupting cooling and lubrication to the engine. On the X6m with the turbo, turbo lines, and valve seals that could be 10k in repairs.

BMW makes start/stop in their newer cars and even in the older x6 hybrid. I believe that functionality is provided through their multipurpose transmission architecture where they could easily integrate the start/stop motor. If you have the older x6 with the transmission not designed for the start/stop its just not going to happen.

Manufactures should focus on making reliable better for the environment engines once the warranty ends without features that compromise longevity.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Maybe CAFE requirements
Manufactures are running out of ways to reduce emissions and increase mileage. Sure CAFE is good for the tail pipe but i'll be interesting to see how battery costs will impact maintenance once a car is 8-10 years old. I hear Prius batteries cost 5k, with the X5 plugin more, and topping off at the Tesla.

Stop/start sounds nice because its quiet but I'm curious where the road will take us.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,849 Posts
Only think more annoying that auto stop/start is a car in which it cannot be disabled....

IMO it helps car mfg meet CAFE at the expense of the owners past 50, 100k when components die

·
Registered
287 Posts
Only think more annoying that auto stop/start is a car in which it cannot be disabled....

IMO it helps car mfg meet CAFE at the expense of the owners past 50, 100k when components die
Not being able to disable it is mind blowing on a car one purchased. Like it's the law.

The whole topic reminds me of direct injection. Direct injection is prone to building up carbon and relies more on delicate expensive injectors. As the system gets clogged fuel efficiency suffers defeating the purpose. Then theres a company like Toyota that puts both port and direct injection into an engine so it doesn't happen but then you have twice the gear.

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
why in the world would u want to do that? :tsk:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
+1 . . . couldn't agree more . . . one of the first things I look for on a rental . . . just after setting the seats and mirrors is how to disable this stupid feature . . . yes, before I figure out the AC and radio controls . . . :)

PS: In some cars, the Start is very smooth and you don't notice it much . . . in some others, it is very annoying . . .

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had feared that there was a special feature in the tranny that I didn't have. Oh well. I was hoping it was easier as the X starts very smoothly. I really dont mind this feature but the concerns about longevity are valid.

Just means that I can spend more time on my digital GPS speedometer for the E30.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts