BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Here since day one
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes it sounds like a dirty title but I just took delivery of my 2019 540ix with the msport package and was really surprised by the steering wheel.

My 911 and my recently depart R8 does not have a steering wheel this thick ... is this a 2019 thing ... I was really surprised ...this steering wheel is crazy !?!?

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,747 Posts
Probably the same as '17 and '18 (mine is '18). I don't have the largest hands in the world (no other inference there please), it is a good thickness. At first it seemed pretty thick, but after a few months it seems normal -- could it be thicker, LOL??

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Had similar wheel on my F30 M Sport. It's a BMW touchstone. I <3 my steering wheel. (no other inference please)

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Yes it is. If it***8217;s the only car you drive, wait about a month and then sit in a not M-Sport and grab the wheel. It will feel comically thin to you. Happens to me every time I get a loaner.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Probably the same as '17 and '18 (mine is '18). I don't have the largest hands in the world (no other inference there please), it is a good thickness. At first it seemed pretty thick, but after a few months it seems normal -- could it be thicker, LOL??
BTW, I have the opposite issue. I’m 5’9” on a good day. But I can win bets with the size of my hands. They are as big as guys 6’3” I have held them up to. I also have a EEE width foot. Sadly that’s where the bragging ends :bigpimp:

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,747 Posts
BTW, I have the opposite issue. I'm 5'9" on a good day. But I can win bets with the size of my hands. They are as big as guys 6'3" I have held them up to. I also have a EEE width foot. Sadly that's where the bragging ends :bigpimp:
LOL. Well, if you played piano, at least you could easily reach an octave! And just think, it's image, right? Who knows how many jealous people are out there once they see your enormous hands and feet, and let their imaginations run wild!!

·
Registered
G30 540i sDrive | MPPSK | BMS | FTP
198 Posts
Apparently it's not the thickness of the steering wheel, but more what you do with it that counts.

·
Here since day one
7,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had similar wheel on my F30 M Sport. It's a BMW touchstone. I <3 my steering wheel. (no other inference please)
This wheel is quite a bit thicker than the 3er. ... we have a 17 340ix msport(one of my kids cars) and the wheel in the 3er is what I’d refer to as a normal sporty thickness ... the one in my 5er is ridiculous. Even the steering wheel in my previous f10 550 with the msport package was a normal sporty thickness.

Here I am on day 2 and I am getting used to it ... meanwhile the overall car is awesome !! Very happy with it and they really brought this car up a level from the previous gen.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I had a loaner 530i with the non msport steering wheel. I really missed the msport steering wheel. I think it is the best part of the MSport package.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,639 Posts
Have you noticed that the thickest ones are all black?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The haptic feedback mechanism might add girth.

These specs are from 2016.
M Sport & M steering wheel: 369 mm
M Performance steering wheel I & II: 373 mm

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Bimmerfest's first X rated thread...

Yes, the steering wheel is thick but I don't think it's any thicker than my previous 5ers with the sports package.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts