BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, its an old debate at this point, Manny vs. Auto, but I'm in a situation where I can either order a M240 Vert custom with a MT, and wait about 8 wks, and have less options, or lease a loaded M235 Vert A8 with instant gratification for a bit less $$.

My chief complaint with BMW lately has been the lack of character or engagement in the driving experience, and this seems exacerbated with the admittedly smooth and quick A8. I currently have a 428 GC, and as nice as the car is, it just doesn't engage me the way a sportscar should. Its longer and heavier than a 235/40, so that aspect should help as well.

There is a trend, even amongst "enthusiasts" to succumb to the auto tranny, but all things equal, I'd prefer a stick. My commute is suburbs mostly, and when in traffic, its not horrendous.

For those that converted from stick to Auto, do you have regrets?

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
I truly enjoyed my M235i while I had it. The only thing that would have made it perfect for me was MT.

·
Still Stickin' It!
886 Posts
I know, its an old debate at this point, Manny vs. Auto, but I'm in a situation where I can either order a M240 Vert custom with a MT, and wait about 8 wks, and have less options, or lease a loaded M235 Vert A8 with instant gratification for a bit less $$.

My chief complaint with BMW lately has been the lack of character or engagement in the driving experience, and this seems exacerbated with the admittedly smooth and quick A8. I currently have a 428 GC, and as nice as the car is, it just doesn't engage me the way a sportscar should. Its longer and heavier than a 235/40, so that aspect should help as well.

There is a trend, even amongst "enthusiasts" to succumb to the auto tranny, but all things equal, I'd prefer a stick. My commute is suburbs mostly, and when in traffic, its not horrendous.

An old and repeated topic certainly. I'll just make the observation that (short of a new physical disability), I've never read anyone who got an MT and regretted it, wishing for an AT. However, I have seen many who felt the reverse.

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
IMO, it sounds like you want the stick. Don't compromise when it comes to cars at this level. Get what you want.

A bad disk in my back put my MT days behind me, and as good as BMW ATs are, they are not as involving as an MT. If you are an MT driver that just loves to snick off crisp shifts, IMO, paddles don't cut it for fun, although you might decide to hold a gear for a particular reason.

A little 2 with the blown six and an MT will be all sorts of fun. Presuming you have the roads to enjoy it on, and are not just driving the interstate.

·
gdyear78
99 Posts
I went for the automatic vs manual, can't stand the constant shifting in Boston traffic but I would generally rather have manual. Outside of the traffic need, I also need AWD for New England winters, the car only comes in automatic for that...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I love the MT in my MINI Cooper S, but I am seriously considering going with an AT in a 2 Series convertible or a PDK in a CPO 981 Boxster with my next car purchase in a few months. In the 5+ years I have had my MINI I have gone from 2-3 days a month in bumper to bumper traffic on my daily commute to at least 1 or 2 days a week in heavy traffic, and the commute is the same. Also, my wife, who occasionally needs to drive my car, hates the MT, and I find I do very little "fun' two lane highway driving and a lot of interstate cruising where once I get to 6th gear it stays there for hours at a time. As much as I like driving a MT, I really think I could be happy with an AT or PDK. If worse comes to worse, I have a 66 912 with a 5 spd that I could drive to satisfy my urge for rowing my own. That said, when I bought my MINI, I thought I could live with it's large sunroof as opposed to a convertible and I have always regretted that decision, hence looking at 2 Series convertibles and Boxsters. Some compromises just don't work out as well as one thinks they might.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was in exactly the same spot last December. Order a car and wait, or buy the exact same Convertible spec I wanted off a lot except with an AT for almost $1k less. My reasons were the same as you also, the 8AT just didn't feel as engaging.

I ordered the car with an MT, and even though I had to wait 3 full months because of the factory holiday shutdown, it was so worth it!

If you're even thinking this, invest the time to get the MT and enjoy the heck out of it every day.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Excellent advice above.

I would always prefer to order my own car. I am pretty sure there are some other things not exactly to your spec on that car readily available on the dealer's lot. Forget instant gratification. You are spending a ton of money, get exact car as you want it - even if you end up ordering 8AT car. It will come with less than 10 miles on it, it will not be driven by idiots nor by salesman trying to impress prospective buyer, lot of stuff going for an ordered-to-spec car. Except for instant gratification :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'd agree with the others. Unless you are looking at CPO vehicles or the vehicle(s) on the dealership lot is/are exactly what you want or you need a vehicle immediately, you will be happier ordering what you want and working a good deal on it. I ordered my MINI Cooper S the way I wanted it at the time and it was worth the two month wait. We just purchased a 2016 Q5 for my wife off the lot and had trouble finding what she wanted and ended up compromising on exterior color to get a "good" deal. My wife loves her new Q5 so all is good. As it turns out, with the public relations issues VAG has been having with their diesel scandals, they lowered sticker prices on 2017's and increased dealer incentives to the point I have no doubt in my mind we could have ordered a 2017 Q5 exactly as we wanted it and paid the same or possibly even less than we did for our 2016 Q5.

One other psychological benefit, or curse depending on one's perspective, of ordering is the anticipation of waiting for that perfect car to come. Just remember how much more you enjoyed that new toy you asked Santa for and had to wait until Christmas morning to open.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, all good info/advice. Part of the dilemma is that the A8 is a demo, with all the goodies, and if I order, I'd have to strip away (nav, possibly HK) and just go with a stick and heated seats, vs. having it all (except MT) with the demo auto. This dilemma, and I can't fully let go of a convertible camaro possibility, lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I come from 25 years in a MT SUV and wanted something more fun to drive so I had my sights set on an M235. Colorado winters made X-drive a necessity for my daily driver so I opted for the AT only because the MT wasn't an option with X-drive. I love the car but I really miss my MT - even in the city. Feels more like I'm watching TV than driving.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just drove a Camaro 2SS vert back to back with a A8 M235. Honestly, the Camaro is just too much car, I'd lose my license in a week, and I'm a criminal defense attorney. ..

The seats (heated and ventilated) are better, the engine is FEROCIOUS, and the fit and finish on par with the BMW

The BMW is more refined, smoother, quieter (obviously), and a bit more boring. . .

In the end, I think I'll end up with a BMW again, I just trust the brand more, and I can lease the BMW for a bit less than I can buy the Camaro, although the Camaro would be a 66 mo. purchase vs a 33 mo. lease. .

1st world problems, I know. . .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just received my manual dd M240i.
I also have a 1987 911 manual and a Ford GT manual.
Selling my 370Z DD manual...
before that had a Mustang GT manual....

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
I just drove a Camaro 2SS vert back to back with a A8 M235. Honestly, the Camaro is just too much car, I'd lose my license in a week, and I'm a criminal defense attorney. ..
Whaaaaat!? Are you trying to live incognito? You are a lawyer for Christ's sake, get a Porsche! What's wrong with you?! :bigpimp:

I kid, I kid ...

It is very impressive to read from multiple and multiple sources how BMW, compared to Chevy, feels a little boring. Or it doesn't handle as sharp. Or the engine is better in the Chevy. Or the brakes are more impressive in the Chevy ... and so on. I am being serious, actually. Yes, it was always upper Camaro trims they talked about, but still. It was like that even when compared to ///M cars. Good job, Chevrolet.

·
Registered
459 Posts

New automatics are lightening quick to shift and will perform better than a stick in most cases. However, if you are a dedicated "manual" guy, you'll likely miss the engagement a stick shift provides (regardless of the performance benefits it lacks compared to the new autos).

Here's a perspective I recommend you consider. Considering the cost of the vehicle, it it worth gambling on something you're not sure you will like, vs. a little extra money and time to get something you know will "scratch that itch"?

For me, that question is easily answered. I'd wait and get the stick.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to update rhis, ended up going with a 2SS 6MT convertible. I'm sure I'll return to the BMW fold again, but went with my gut and heart (maybe not the mind) on this one. YOLO. :)

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
True that. You Only Lift Once with rear hooked in the corner entry and 400 hp keeping the car on tarmac :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts