BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm picking up a new z4si on Tues. - paddles, sport, etc. It's my first slush box since 1967 (read - old head). The dealer in FL convinced me that MTs are not popular due to the heavy traffic. I think I'll still have lots of fun with the paddles and sport mode, as well as my first roadster since 1981 (Fiat 124 spyder). Any recommendations to deal with an atrophied left leg? :)

·
Alpine White Collector
145 Posts
I searched hi and low for an Alpine white MT Z4.
I didn't like the paddle shifters in the auto.
Some how, roadster and automatic trans just doesnt belong in the same sentence - IMHO

Good luck with your purchase!

·
The Anti-Rice
5,394 Posts
They pulled the wool over you eyes pretty good on that one.

Manuals ALWAYS have a higher resale value.

·
Fight On!
1,559 Posts
Hi All,

I'm picking up a new z4si on Tues. - paddles, sport, etc. It's my first slush box since 1967 (read - old head). The dealer in FL convinced me that MTs are not popular due to the heavy traffic. I think I'll still have lots of fun with the paddles and sport mode, as well as my first roadster since 1981 (Fiat 124 spyder). Any recommendations to deal with an atrophied left leg? :)
I am sure you'll get used to it quickly. When I had my SUV (with auto tranny), I was searching for the imaginary left pedal from time to time.

What I had a hard time getting adjusted to was the paddle shift. I samples the Z4C 3.0si with the paddle shift, and I was always shifting the wrong way (up instead down, and vice-versa). Shifting up/down with the Steptronic stick in the center console was a bit more intuitive for me. I can imagine getting comfortable with the paddle shift in a week though.

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Leftover Hippie
465 Posts
One the one hand you couldn't give me the slushbox, but I should point out that my daily commute is 7-10 minutes on side roads with almost no traffic.

If I had to sit in 2mph freeway gridlock for 30+ minutes each way I would likely be singing a very different tune and having a clutch would not be a pleasant experience in my book. Everything depends on the context of how you will be using your new vehicle.

·
Fight On!
1,559 Posts
One the one hand you couldn't give me the slushbox, but I should point out that my daily commute is 7-10 minutes on side roads with almost no traffic.

If I had to sit in 2mph freeway gridlock for 30+ minutes each way I would likely be singing a very different tune and having a clutch would not be a pleasant experience in my book. Everything depends on the context of how you will be using your new vehicle.
Yep, you just described my communte. The 10 mile stretch of freeway takes me about 30 minutes, but I still wouldn't give up my MT.

·
your average JAMF
1,227 Posts
Hi All,

Too late now, but don't allow a stealership salesperson to give you a line like that! He told you that because he had autos on the lot ready to go, and you'd have had to order a stick, correct? If he had a lot full of sticks, his story would have been about how "manual transmissions are making a comeback!" and "nobody drives a SPORTS car like this with a sissy automatic!". It's all BS to sell you what they can sell you TODAY. Pay NO attention to it and buy what you want.

You'll grow tired of the video game paddles within days, they're nothing but a gimmick. If it's not too late, switch gears (pun intended) and order a manual.. you won't regret it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car was ordered by me from the factory, so it was totally my decision. I expect to have too much fun in this car regardless of the trans, but time will tell. :)

·
The Anti-Rice
5,394 Posts
I think its humorous that you let a salesperson influence you. He just wanted to add on the extra 2 grand or so for the slushbox.

From what I have found, most car salesmen at any dealership are more clueless about cars than thier wives are. They are just good at selling things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Downshift with left paddle, upshift with the right--works well, esp on track days or spirited driving. That said nothing beats an MT, except in heavy traffic.

I've got a MT 325i and an auto Z4. go figure.

·
Officially Weird
1,637 Posts
Only thing I do with an automatic is routinely leave it in gear when parking, and I can't figure out how to get the key out.

It's funny, I never reach for the clutch -- except maybe when starting it, but even that's fairly rare. I guess it's because the auto usually shifts before I would, so I never even start to think about shifting before it does it for me -- except one memorable incident when I floored an autobox then jabbed the edge of the brake with my left foot as i stabbed for the clutch.

My commute is 22mi in bay area traffic, but I loves me some MT. At this point in my life I wouldn't buy anything else, but it's a personal choice of course. enjoy the new roadie!!

·
Warning - Thin Air
1,806 Posts
Any recommendations to deal with an atrophied left leg? :)
One thing you don't want to do with your left foot is press in the clutch when stopping. I went from a manual to an auto years ago and found out very quickly that when trying to use a clutch when the car has an auto, you may be pushing in on the break. I did find out how well the breaks worked though.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I think its humorous that you let a salesperson influence you. He just wanted to add on the extra 2 grand or so for the slushbox.

From what I have found, most car salesmen at any dealership are more clueless about cars than thier wives are. They are just good at selling things.
+99999999 on that...9.5 out of 10 car saleman dunno wtf they are talking about......the other .5 is when they hire some younger rice boy and all they knew was how to 'pimp' out a honda civic SI or the likes

is a sad thing :-(....that we have sellin' cars when they dunno nothing about em'

·
Registered
194 Posts
Did he also mention that the manual transmissions have higher upkeep costs because you have to feed the shifter gremlins?

I bet you have a ton of fun with the car despite the slushbox, enjoy the ride!

·
The Anti-Rice
5,394 Posts
Shifter gremlins? Whats that? An automatic transmission costs twice what a manual costs to replace.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
+99999999 on that...9.5 out of 10 car saleman dunno wtf they are talking about......the other .5 is when they hire some younger rice boy and all they knew was how to 'pimp' out a honda civic SI or the likes

is a sad thing :-(....that we have sellin' cars when they dunno nothing about em'
Actually this salesman knew exactly what he was doing and he accomplished it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Shifter gremlins? Whats that? An automatic transmission costs twice what a manual costs to replace.
They live right next to the headlight fluid under the turn signal lubricant. They need to be groomed at the mandatory 200, 400, 800 and 1600 miles service intervals. A good salesman will definitely inform his clients about the shifter gremlins.

Hey, at least they aren't as expensive as the 4wd munchkins.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
....I agree - paddles are not the same as MT. However, the car is awesome, especially in sport mode! I prefer to shift with the +/- stick, it seems more natural. MT or no MT, this is still a great car! Thanks for all your input. BTW, no gremlins to date.

·
Fight On!
1,559 Posts

Why so humorous? It happens all the time! Why do you think many dealers advertise loss-leaders? When the customers come in, they show a fully-optioned model instead of the advertised bone-stock. In the end they send the customers home with a Toyota Corolla for $25k.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.