BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Mtech bumpers front and rear?

2729 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  GabesJH82
I have 2002 530i e39 im thinking on replacing front and rear bumpers with M5 style bumpers. Any ideas if the front bumper is just a plug and play for the fog lights? What about for the air brake channels will they easily line up perfect or would i need to replace the air brake channels and the bottom splash gaurd? How about for the rear bumper any modifications needed besides both bumpers by thereselves?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
With front bumper for perfect fitment you need the left and right front wheel wells also called splash guards, the center splash guard, the fog lights are direct fit or at least were on mine as far as the connector goes. Brake ducts were fine on mine as well.
Mtech and M5 bumpers are two different style bumpers.
I believe an M5 style bumper just like this one in the picture

Attachments

The only difference is the "T" bar in the front and grille...and the diffuser in the back. They are otherwise the same.
bricas is right....however, there's a small
issue regarding that t bar.

you see, w/out the t bar, there would not be the grill that fits the t bar.
w/out the grill for the tbar, there would not be any provisions to maintain the
force air cooling functionality for the front brakes.
Same bumper tiny accessory differences. Mtech bumpers had the T-bar grill from the factory which is removable and can be substituted with the M5 style grill or aftermarket sink drain grill. M Tech has single exhaust cutout rear diffuser rather than dual cutouts that the M5 had, due to the M5's dual exhaust vs non m cars single sided exhaust. The rear diffuser is also not permanently attached anc you can swap out dual for single or various aftermarket versions.

If you get the OEM BMW retrofit kit that includes front and rear bumpers, plus some accessories you automatically get the T-bar grill. Otherwise you pick which grill you want so its really not an issue. I don't remember if it included the single sided diffuser or if I had to order it. But unless you are doing an true dual exhaust retrofit it is not an issue. And of course would only be an issue if you are getting the retrofit kit and if it includes the single side diffuser.

Basically in the rest of the world they started offering an M-Tech package as an option on any e39 after BMW developed the M5 and it's front and rear bumpers. The M-Tech package gave you the M-5 bumpers (w T-Bar grill & single side exhaust cut out) and an M-Tech single exposed exhaust tip along with I think some other interior accessories. In the US BMW only offered this M-Tech package on the 2003 540 sport cars and it was standard not an option.

Also the M-tech fender liners had little cutouts for venting air back to the brakes while the M5 versions were solid. But its not a huge issue as can just cut the hole in the M5 liners if you really want it and ordered the wrong liner by mistake.

I have 2002 530i e39 im thinking on replacing front and rear bumpers with M5 style bumpers. Any ideas if the front bumper is just a plug and play for the fog lights? What about for the air brake channels will they easily line up perfect or would i need to replace the air brake channels and the bottom splash gaurd? How about for the rear bumper any modifications needed besides both bumpers by thereselves?
OP there has been a ton of postings on this and I have personally made a ton of posts about this. If you search you will find detailed answers to your questions. If I have a chance later I can try and dig through some old posts and link them here. But the quick answers are the fog lights will need new connectors (there is a way to do it without actually cutting your wires if you opposed to such things). And the air brake channels are not going to line up perfectly, but you may be able to get them to work. You may need to substitute in the M air duct that goes between your pork chop and the bumper.
I think most of the guys on here have answered your questions, but if you need a source for the bumper, I can certainly help out with that. You can find them here on our website:

*E39 M5 Style Front Bumper

If you have any further questions, I'd be happy to help! Just ask on this thread, PM/Email or call me at 714.582.3330 extension 8002, and ask for Jurrian when you call in!
Thanx everyone! :)
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.