BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you notice a light oil film on your trans drain plug months after you did your fluid change?
I did mine about 5months ago and when I was under the car I was checking everything and saw the slightest oil film on the drain plug, and everthing else was dry in that and other areas.
I tourqued to specs and Im sure I did not crack anything but was I suppose to use any sealing compound?

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
No issues here, and no thread sealant. But it is just a pipe thread, it could need some sealant. Get the high-temp thread sealant intended for things like oil temperature sensors and drain plugs. I forget which brand I used for my oil temperature sender, but you can get some at any auto parts store.

Have a Mityvac 7201? That would make this relatively easy without buying new transmission fluid.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I changed my fluid andd noticed the drain plug was wet about a week later. Drained it again and put some Permatex #2 on it and its dry now.

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cookie and john, Did they leak because if the liqued teflon or did not leak after you used the teflon, I assume before use
I cleaned mine off and will check it later, It may have just been fluid that was at the edge and formed a film

·
Registered
171 Posts
01silber said:
cookie and john, Did they leak because if the liqued teflon or did not leak after you used the teflon, I assume before use
I cleaned mine off and will check it later, It may have just been fluid that was at the edge and formed a film
I think BMW released a technical bulletin instructing dealerships to use teflon on these transmission plugs at some point. My plug seeped a little around the threads without the teflon, so I have added teflon to the threads ever since.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I found mine to be moist as well after I replaced the original fluid with royal purple synchromax MTF. I ended up draining the fluid, again, cleaning up the threads and using just a tiny bit of high temp red RTV silicone. Torqued it to spec and let it dry overnight. Next day I put in new fluid. It's been nice and dry for a few months now.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
killeen_john said:
I think BMW released a technical bulletin instructing dealerships to use teflon on these transmission plugs at some point. My plug seeped a little around the threads without the teflon, so I have added teflon to the threads ever since.
Not aware of that.
There is a buletin which replaces the leaky ZF plug with a Getrag plug.

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ron Stygar said:
That is the option I will go with if it comes up oily again, I was just trying to figure out if this was normal for a after fluid change( a bit oily from oil caught in the last few threads) or If I have a leaker, There was not even enough to form a droplet on the plug and not one drop on the garage floor and I did it months ago

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
I put the MTF-L2 in the black car yesterday, and the drain plug was damp with the original fluid. Upon reassembly, I coated the fill and drain plug threads with Hylomar sealant that was surplus to the CV-joint boot kits I've done in the past. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know how it goes...

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JonM said:
Ours are currently installed dry. I have used Locktite 575 pipe compound in the past on high-temp oil threads. It is very expensive stuff and Locktite is real proud of it.
Jon, I assume that means you changed your fluid from the original, next time you under take a look at yours and see if there is a slight film of oil on the drain plug please

·
The Anti-Rice
5,394 Posts
Yeah, I have this problem currently on the 6 speed. Its a very slow leak. Took about 2 weeks to create one drop on the paper towel I placed under it.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
I use teflon tape on the threads. Or high temp RTV, just a thin film.

·
The Anti-Rice
5,394 Posts
How many layers of teflon tape would you think?

·
Im here
4,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
CORONET said:
Max, nothing to do with trans fluid. You should take that 975 mile drive over here to AZ.

This is the best looking little thing you ever saw.

Pictures can be viewed here www.msnusers.com/arizonaclan

Dale
Wow, Yes Max does like, Would look good in a silver roadster;)
When we talked a few days ago, I looked into getting off work some but it is so busy right now I barely have a weekend anymore:(
but for the record, that would be a nice mod

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Mpire said:
How many layers of teflon tape would you think?
Teflon tape; properly applied, consists of two (2) layers, leaving the first 1 to 1-1/2 threads exposed (to avoid tape fragments in delicate mechanisms).

The tape's purpose is to lubricate the threads so that that plug, presumably tapered, can be tightened to obtain a tight seal. It is not intended to fill up the gaps between the threads. Two layers is adequate, anything more is excessive.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts