Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the BMW Mud Flaps part number 82162410525 and 82162410526 on their X3? Was looking for a few pics of the install.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Flying monkey herder
8,162 Posts
apparently not compatible with the M40i and the Msport 3.0i

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
They DO fit the m40i

I absolutely disagree...I have a 2018 m40i and bought front and rear flaps.

Here are the PNs I bought:
Placement on Vehicle: Front, Rear Custom Bundle: No
Other Part Number: 82-16-2-410-525 / 82-16-2-410-526
Interchange Part Number: 82162410525, 82162410526
Brand: Genuine BMW
Manufacturer Part Number: 82 16 2 410 525 / 82 16 2 410 526

This is who I bought from on ebay: partscontainer (686800 ) 99% Positive feedback

20181001_183033.jpg

20181001_183040.jpg

20181001_183054.jpg

20181001_183107.jpg

Car.jpg

Looking good eh? Took me about 1.25 hrs to install (I could do it in 30 minutes next time). I did not have the take off the wheels. I drilled one hole, but I do not think that I needed to.

I was the guinea pig. You are welcome!
Paul

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nice! It looks like the fronts aren't totally flush, but it's not that bad at all. I think for the vast majority of the people, they'd never notice unless they had a 30i to directly compare.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wonderfully detailed pictures! Thank you for doing all that.

It does look like only the fronts aren't flush. If you live in an area with snow and crud, seems they'd be worth it despite the minimal gap. There are drain holes in the mud flaps, in case anyone is worried about snow and stuff getting in that tiny gap.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I installed factory mud flaps with no fit issues on 2018 M40I

·
Registered
394 Posts
I suspect the mud flaps have a small adhesive strip that sticks to the body. On my F25 X3 I had the BMW installation instructions and the very last step is to remove the plastic tape that covers the adhesive strip. You do this by letting a half inch of the covering strip stick out and then after everything is bolted and screwed in, you carefully peel off the adhesive cover strip and then you press the mudflap tight to the body. It's a bit counter intuitive, but that's how the BMW folks designed it. Sometimes there are two small adhesive strips for each flap and you do them individually. That way the adhesive strip is as tight as possible to the body.

·
Registered
110 Posts
There is adhesive, but I find it's more to hold things generally in place to allow you to more easily bolt everything in. There's some minor tugging and pulling to get things flush.

I guess it all depends on how picky you are. Some people would say it's perfectly flush. From a couple feet away, it looks like it. From a few inches away, I can tell it's not as tight as on my old Lexus or Toyota. The tape needed to be wider and closer to the edge. The gap on the fronts if you install on a m40i is big enough that my wife would have refused. We're picky though.

·
Registered
332 Posts
There is adhesive, but I find it's more to hold things generally in place to allow you to more easily bolt everything in. There's some minor tugging and pulling to get things flush.

I guess it all depends on how picky you are. Some people would say it's perfectly flush. From a couple feet away, it looks like it. From a few inches away, I can tell it's not as tight as on my old Lexus or Toyota. The tape needed to be wider and closer to the edge. The gap on the fronts if you install on a m40i is big enough that my wife would have refused. We're picky though.
I am also very picky. I have no gaps on my M40I. I've installed BMW mud flaps on three M-Sport vehicles and all fitted well despite not technically "available" for M40 according to BMW. I bought from a BMW dealer on E-Bay advertising they DO FIT M40 with a money back guarantee.
Without instructions, installation is tricky because you will misfit them depending on which anchors you attach first; they also require drilling extra holes to align mounts - all things can throw off the installation. Advise - take the time to fit and understand which holes line up. Also search YouTube

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am also very picky. I have no gaps on my M40I. I've installed BMW mud flaps on three M-Sport vehicles and all fitted well despite not technically "available" for M40 according to BMW. I bought from a BMW dealer on E-Bay advertising they DO FIT M40 with a money back guarantee.
Without instructions, installation is tricky because you will misfit them depending on which anchors you attach first; they also require drilling extra holes to align mounts - all things can throw off the installation. Advise - take the time to fit and understand which holes line up. Also search YouTube
Can you take pictures? At least of the front?

If you look at JeeperJoey's 2nd picture, it clearly shows a small gap. I think most people won't care, but very picky people will.

I have a friend with a m40i who's kind of on the fence about it and I imagine many other m40i owners would like to see an install without a gap. Right now, JeeperJoey's pics are all that seem to exist online and his show a small gap.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I don't think you can get a much tighter fit
Sorry about the dirt - raining for several days!

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Awesome! Thanks!

Yours look like there's less of a gap overall, but you can still tell they weren't designed exactly for the car due to the space right where the side sill connects to the bottom of the car body.

It's a REALLY small space though. You gotta be looking for it. I think only the truly anal would be bothered by it. I think it's best to show the pictures to people without pointing out the gap and see if they notice. :angel:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts