BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of a xit on 10/7-Orient Blue, Steptronic,Nat brown, & PP. This is my first BMW and it is a GREAT car. We took a 900 mile round trip over the weekend (24-26 mpg), and it was comfortable, quiet, and torquey enough, even in the hills of northern MD/W VA.
My question is- how do factory mud flaps look on these cars?
Do they do a reasonable job of keeping the lower panels clean?
My sympathies to Terry Kennedy(?) whose having tons of problems with his wagon.
Thanx

·
Registered
197 Posts
How they look is really a matter of personal preference. I don't think they ever enhance the appearance of a BMW, but the question is, how much do they detract from its appearance. On a sedan or couple, I think they detract a lot; but a wagon is more "utilitarian" than it is "sporty", so you may be able to get away with it.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My thoughts on Splash Guards

I had the same thoughts about the splash guards when i got my car. I wasnt sure they would look good, and wasnt sure if they would work.

I am happy to say that they work very well, and they dont look that bad either. The looks are a personal preference I guess. i had mine painted to match my car. I didnt like the look of black onthe Gray. The only problem is that the spalsh gaurds are like $40 and the painting cost me $125. IMO its money well spent. They match perfectly and cut down on the dirt and water spots tremendously.

I have had them installed now for over a year, and some of the paint has worn away on the inside only, but I have a solution for that now. I suggest getting some of the Xpel product and custom cut it to fit the inside of the guard. By doing this you will be assured the paint wont chip off.

If you would like more pics let me know.

Good luck:thumbup:

John V

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
plmbst said:
My sympathies to Terry Kennedy(?) whose having tons of problems with his wagon.
Thanks! I know they can't all have problems as bad as mine, but in a way that makes it more infuriating - why me?

·
///Mpty pockets
1,963 Posts
I have the mud flaps on my coupe and I really like them. They integrate well with the lines of the car, and they also make the car look lower....of course my car is black so they blend right in.

They also do a good job of keeping the sides of the car clean....

Check with your dealer, if they have them in stock they will most likely allow you to hold them up to your car so you can see what they look like in person.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Looks are in the eyes of the beholder. Personally, I think it works really well on my white car, as it works really well with the rest of the black trim. Its not even that noticeable in the shot below as it doesn't show up well against the black tires.

As for cleanliness, I think they help, though the sides still DO get dirty, especially out of the cutline between the rear fender and bumper.

One tip I got from someone (Emission?) is to clean them out every once in a while, as gunk collects in the 'cup' it forms. I made the drainholes bigger, which helps shed crap a bit better.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I installed the stone guards on my wifes '01 325XiT because we have to drive a few miles
on dirt roads here in Colorado's high country.
They work real well to alleviate stone damage
and don't look too bad IMHO...

Attachments

·
Why can't we get Diesels?
2,280 Posts
How easy are they to remove/install? Is it logical at all to have them on in the winter and off in the summer, or is it a semi-permanent mounting?:eeps:

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
mbr129 said:
How easy are they to remove/install? Is it logical at all to have them on in the winter and off in the summer, or is it a semi-permanent mounting?:eeps:
They're only held on by 2 or 3 screws each so I suppose you could take em on and off...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had them on my MY2K 323i and, although they protected the paint, they were always filling with mud (rear) and falling off. Unless you are very careful, I would stay away from them. They were a constant source of aggravation until I removed them.

·
Registered
561 Posts
:dunno: I've had mine installed for over 1.5 years and have yet to collect any debris in the mudflaps nor have them fall off. They're secured by 2 screws and one expansion bolt.

iiotoko said:
I had them on my MY2K 323i and, although they protected the paint, they were always filling with mud (rear) and falling off. Unless you are very careful, I would stay away from them. They were a constant source of aggravation until I removed them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
pps-325xit said:
:dunno: I've had mine installed for over 1.5 years and have yet to collect any debris in the mudflaps nor fall off.
I must agree. I have had mine 1 year, and never have I had a problem with them, and I drive down a 3000 ft gravel driveway everday. I havent had mud or gravel get inside of them either. I even checked for it one day just out of shear curiosity, and nothing.:dunno:

They are the way to go if you want a good look and a cleaner car.

John V

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
iiotoko said:
Just as a contrasting point of view... I've have them on my 2000 323i and I have never seen them collect anything of significance. Snow / ice will build up in the winter, but that would happen w/o the flaps.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Help with Part No.

I want the flaps for my 2003 330 coupe after seeing them on Gimpy's new car.

I found this thread so hopefully you are the experts and can help me out.

First, my dealer cannot determine the correct part No. for the front and rears. The catalog does not mention the 330Ci anywhere for the flaps. The Circle BMW site has part Nos, but when you look at them in the catalog, they appear to be the fronts from the sedan and the front from the convertible. for the rears of the coupe. Can anyone please tell me their part Nos. for the coupe?

Second, how difficult is it to install them? Mostly, do I have to take off the wheels to install? If required, I will probably have to have the dealer install the rears since I am not set up to lift the car, and dont' want to mess around with the car up on the jack for long. Have any of you installed these yourself? Please help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
561 Posts
My accessories catalog show 82 16 0 002 509/510 for the front/rears for both coupe and convertible, MSRP $20.95 each set.

Yes, you have to take the wheels off to install; I did this with the factory jack. You have to drill 3 holes for the rear set; 2 holes for the front set (for one hole on the front set, you need to remove an existing plastic expansion plug, which I used wire cutters to remove). All the drilling is through plastic, so it's very easy. Takes about 1-2 hours at a leisurely pace.

I think those people who have had problems with material collecting in the mudflaps did not do a proper installation. If you chose to self-install, work your way from the top-most screw down to the lower-most screw, making sure the mudflap is pushed flush with the body (it flexes a lot). Secure the screws as you work your way down to ensure a proper fit. It's definitely easier with 2 people, but it can be done by one. Also secure the screwlet (used to screw in the upper screws) before drilling; it's easier to drill through it (to avoid slippage) than trying to hold the drill by itself when drilling.

Finally, make sure you use the right size drill bits, 1/8" and 15/64". Otherwise, you will not get a tight fit.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thank you for the tips. Does your accessory catalog say E46Ci convertible, or is there a comma between the E46Ci and the word convertible? The dealer interpreted the 509/510 lines to say E46 Ci convertible only that they would not work on the coupe.

The Circle BMW site uses one of these (the 509) and then one from the sedan section (655).

Any thoughts?

pps-325xit said:
My accessories catalog show 82 16 0 002 509/510 for the front/rears for both coupe and convertible, MSRP $20.95 each set.

Yes, you have to take the wheels off to install; I did this with the factory jack. You have to drill 3 holes for the rear set; 2 holes for the front set (for one hole on the front set, you need to remove an existing plastic expansion plug, which I used wire cutters to remove). All the drilling is through plastic, so it's very easy. Takes about 1-2 hours at a leisurely pace.

I think those people who have had problems with material collecting in the mudflaps did not do a proper installation. If you chose to self-install, work your way from the top-most screw down to the lower-most screw, making sure the mudflap is pushed flush with the body (it flexes a lot). Secure the screws as you work your way down to ensure a proper fit. It's definitely easier with 2 people, but it can be done by one. Also secure the screwlet (used to screw in the upper screws) before drilling; it's easier to drill through it (to avoid slippage) than trying to hold the drill by itself when drilling.

Finally, make sure you use the right size drill bits, 1/8" and 15/64". Otherwise, you will not get a tight fit.

·
Registered
561 Posts
My catalog say "E46 3 Series 2-dr, conv" for the 509/510 parts whereas the other line says "E46 3 Series 4-dr, sport wagon" for the 655 part.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts