Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
What was that?
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I just returned from a 1250 mile trip from FL and the X5 (35i) performed flawlessly (almost) - I absolutely love the way it drives when it is running in perfect harmony. Impeccable power delivery when needed, reasonable fuel consumption at high speeds, and very good range.

About 1 hour from home, I noticed the massage function of the driver side seat had stopped working. The bottom cushion is now in a position that makes seating on it quite uncomfortable.

The button that activates the function lights up, but turns itself off about one minute afterward. No change on seat position.

Anyone have any idea where to start looking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,426 Posts

·
What was that?
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup. That’s an interesting read. I’ll have to look into it with more time. Thanks Doug.

And I better figure this out quickly. This is the epitome of a Pain In the Ass Problem !!

·
What was that?
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I took all of the plastic covers of the seat and tracked down the issue to what I expect will be the culprit of this. There is a pressure distribution block housed inside a pouch located under the front part of the seat. I am certain this is where the issue resides, so I will have to pull the seat to access this.

I'll try to take pictures and continue to update this thread. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do or how to address, please post your ideas here.

Thanks!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,168 Posts
Have you priced that little puppy????

·
What was that?
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you priced that little puppy????

Have not... haven’t even looked for the part number.

The fact that you’re asking this question alone makes me wonder whether I should simply put a hole in the little airbag under the seat and go on with my life...

·
What was that?
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And holy crap... you were on to something!

Part #52109122584 is $254 according to realoem.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,168 Posts
And holy crap... you were on to something!

Part #52109122584 is $254 according to realoem.

Yeah, real OEM is like prices from 10 years ago!

I saw the current MSRP and was like :cry:

I’d be doing microsurgery on that module, see if it is a broken bit of a gear jamming up the works...or really anything that can be fixed!

·
What was that?
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, real OEM is like prices from 10 years ago!

I saw the current MSRP and was like :cry:

I’d be doing microsurgery on that module, see if it is a broken bit of a gear jamming up the works...or really anything that can be fixed!
Yea, it looks like I have to pull the seat to do any work on it, so might as well try that. I did find a few sets of seats on ebay for $600/$700 shipped, so worst case scenario I can get them and also possibly swap the bottom cushions (my driver side bottom bolster is worn out).

Either way, this is going to be expensive. Stay tuned.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,168 Posts
Yea, it looks like I have to pull the seat to do any work on it, so might as well try that. I did find a few sets of seats on ebay for $600/$700 shipped, so worst case scenario I can get them and also possibly swap the bottom cushions (my driver side bottom bolster is worn out).

Either way, this is going to be expensive. Stay tuned.
Buy a passenger seat from the UK... :thumbup:

·
What was that?
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aaaaaandddd... It’s FIXED!!!

All it took was the exact combination of unsuccessful attempts to find a fix (either by getting a part to swap out, or understanding how it could have failed) to motivate me to try a radical technique:

I don’t normally do this, but it worked!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,168 Posts
Just smack the rear bumper?!?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts