BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the E46 board but not to the bimmer world. Just got the car a 2000 328i. The car hasn't been running for a couple of months before I got it due to transmission issue, now that has been settled need to address the CEL.
In the morning idles very rough and it misfires. After couple of miles misfire is gone and runs ok and doesn't have the problem within the day any more. It also has a loud whirring constant sound in the engine, like actually a cow mooing to be exact. Sorry for the long thread but I will describe it as how it all transpired. Using a R5/FCX3 the following codes came out.
E3-02 sensor adaptation limit, Cyl # 1-3
E4-02 sensor adaptation limit, Cyl # 4-6
FA-Functional check purge valve
F2-Misfire Cyl # 5
F0-Misfire Cyl # 3
F3-Misfire Cyl # 6
F1-Misfire Cyl # 4
EE-Misfire Cyl # 1
97-PreCat02 sensor short to ground, Cyl # 1-3

Changed the plugs and valve cover gasket
Cleared the codes and started again, CEL went on after 15 mins of running, runned the codes and here what it showed up
97-PreCat02 sensor short to ground, Cyl # 1-3
E3-02 sensor adaptation limit, Cyl # 1-3
E4-02 sensor adaptation limit, Cyl # 4-6
F0-Misfire Cyl # 3
EF-Misfire Cyl # 2

Tried clearing the codes again, ran the car and got 3 codes
E3
E4
9A-PreCat02 sensor short to ground, Cyl # 4

Doing my research and came across mostly the Purge Control Valve as the main culprit.
Did the old spraying throttle body cleaner on hoses while the engine is at idle.
And mostly the idle gets better as soon as I spray on and near the PCV area. I checked on the part and I hear it ticking while the key is on igntion II (ON). Removed the part and tried blowing air on both outlets of the valve and no air is passing through (not sure if that is good or not). Put everything back together cleaned the MAF and the idle somehow got better but it still has the codes.
At this point I would appreciate any comments to address the situation, I am getting a new PCV to install, sorry for the long thread. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
21 X5 xDrive40i
640 Posts
You likely have a vac leak in the CCV system. CCV stuck open or broken hose. Check the OEM diagram and order parts. Not uncommon to get misfire codes along with the E3 & E4 codes. Ran through a similar event with the wifes 03 325. I went through the entire Intake & CCV system and replaced all the old and brittle CCV hoses and all the soft goods related to the Intake as I hate chasing vac leaks. At 80-100K+ miles all the soft goods are no longer soft.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yup i agree 100% misfire = vacume leaks !!! Check boots check check check .... same prob with mee week ago, once you done just take the care for a spin and checkinge will come off

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Why has nobody mentioned that you continue to have 02 sensor codes. I'd probably fix those first.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok here's an update. Changed the oil separator and all of it's hoses and the purge control valve.
That basically just cleared everything. Now the car is running like a champ and better fuel mileage.
Thanks for the input guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts