BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -I'm new to posting here but have used information here to learn more about my car. I've had problems with the CPS Sensors failing on the car (2000 528i). I changed them once and drove about 4000 miles and the SES light was back on (code P0340). Changed them again (lifetime warranty) and the SES light is on again after roughly 1500 miles. I'm using BWD replacement sensors (made in Germany) PN's CSS 1558 and CSS 1602. I'm now at a loss as to what to look at next. Could there be some other issue causing the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If anybody needs pointers on changing these on an E39 528i I can help.

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
where are you gettin them from, and when you open the box, is the sensor wraped in a some electrical sheild paper?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No they have not been. I picked them up at O'Reilly's.

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
okay i just put one in my car, and it came from the dealer. it had a special paper wraped around it, it's called electrical sheild paper. i was told that it's to keep the any electrical charges from settin off or tripping the sensor before you put in the car. it may be possible that they had triped were bad to start, a lot of people here had have problems with cps being bad out of the box. also do you dissconnect the batt. before install. i did to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I didn't disconnect the battery. Would you suggest that I return these and get an OEM replacement? They're not hard to change but it is getting old.

THX for the quick response.

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
yes i would. dissconnect the batt. next time and turn the key on to make sure no extra juice is hidding any where, you don't have to get it from the dealer. i did because it only costed me 85 bucks my cost the list was 105. one guy got his from bavauto parts and it was bad then he ordered one from oembimmerparts, and has had no problems with his. so the choice is yours. i agree it's not hard but it's annoying. and if for some reason the next one goes bad then i would look to a indy for some help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
THX - I'll start looking around and see what I can find for parts. Thye were about $80 at O'reilly's so the cost shouldn't be too much more and the peace of mind will be priceless. I'm also due for a tuneup so maybe we'll wrap all this into a weekend project. BTW - Any tips on changing spark plugs. A little off topic I know.

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
well good luck, and only tip i have for the plugs is to get new coilpack boots, and coils if you want to replace those. i think oembimmer parts has the packs, plugs,and boots for 350. as for changing them. i't's eaisier then the cps. then have a danceSmileyCentral.com
and have a beer.SmileyCentral.com

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the suggestions. Have a great day!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts