BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, first time here. I have been trolling the forums for quite a while, but are not afforded too much time to get in too deep in threads. You all seem like a helpful bunch!

I have tried to use search, but can not seem to find a very similar situation to mine that the OP has posted a resolution to.

SO here's the scoop

2013 X1 28 Xline
58K miles, bought off lease in 2015 far, far away with 24K miles (first and only major servicing was done a week ago, new tierods, ball joints, control arms, struts, etc... pretty good coin$$ but drives like new again. The roads in Vermont are hell on the sport suspension.) Car has been a joy up until last week.

closest BMW dealer is 2 hours away, I would prefer to attempt if possible.

I did not photo all the error codes, but can if this seems worth pursuing.

Anyway, on the way to my Indy ironically enough. Was driving great. I got a TPMS malfunction, a minute later a service light and all the sensors lit up, Engine Malfuction, Braking/stabilization malfuction, reduced power, electrical system malfunction, pass restraint system, 4x4 ABS brake force malfunction, etc.

I pulled over and shut down. Inspected visually and with my nose, Turned back on and ran fine, 5 minutes later, same same. The technician found the original battery was at 40%, a degraded power and ground cable, and replaced all. Cleared the codes, and it ran clear for about 10-15 minutes. Then the same happened. He did not delve too deep and asked that I do some research on my end before we start replacing modules.
He did say that almost all the codes thrown utilize the fm modulator, but the boards are specific to each trim level of X1, is this true?

Mechanically it runs an drives fine, I drove home, lights flashing away.

Fast forward 5 days later, I had to drive it to work (12 miles away) and on the way, same lights and sensor s going off. When I got to work, the dash, radio,HVAC, navigation went black, no door locks or trunk. Signals and headlights work though. Car still runs, however when I turned the lights off the speedo/odo remain lit and the parking lights intermittently stay on.
Tried to upload a short video, but could not.

This has gone to bizarre.

Any ideas, thank you in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
1,436 Posts
Sounds like K-can issues maybe.
I think posting some codes would be beneficial here. Wtf is an FM modulator? Like for bluetooth?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Charge the battery with a AGM charger on approx 4 amps. I use a CTEK MXS 5.0., and have Scangauge to watch voltage in real time.

Then, test the battery and alternator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts