BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My girlfriend and I are going to be picking up my 328i sedan on Friday... From Munich, we're heading to Budapest, but we'd like to see Neuschwanstein before we leave Bavaria. Our current plan is to leave Munich Sunday morning, drive to Fuessen, then head on to spend the night in Salzburg. After reading through the archives here, though, it sounds like that may be overly ambitious. Are we crazy for trying to fit it all in in one day?

ETA: One thought that just occurred to me is that we could stay someplace closer to Fuessen than Salzburg. Monday's going to be a long day anyway, given the distance between Salzburg and Budapest. Anybody have any suggestions for places to stay in, say, Bad Tolz?

·
Laguna Seca Guy
466 Posts
My girlfriend and I are going to be picking up my 328i sedan on Friday... From Munich, we're heading to Budapest, but we'd like to see Neuschwanstein before we leave Bavaria. Our current plan is to leave Munich Sunday morning, drive to Fuessen, then head on to spend the night in Salzburg. After reading through the archives here, though, it sounds like that may be overly ambitious. Are we crazy for trying to fit it all in in one day?
Ambitious, yes. Crazy? Not in my book, but it depends mostly on how much time you spend "seeing" the castle(s). My mapping software calculates 230 miles and 4.5 hours driving time for Munich-Fussen-Salzburg. So if you get morning tickets for the castle tour and depart Munich early, you could leave Fussen by early/mid afternoon and get to Salzburg in time for dinner pretty easily. A bonus would be that you could have a wonderful drive through the Bavarian countryside from Fussen to Bad Tolz on your way.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
You can estimate the times yourself to check this. I used viamichelin to get:

Munich - Fuessen 1.67 hrs
Fuessen - Salzburg 3 hrs (last 0.8 on autobahn).

I then assumed you actually want to see a castle, so (rough guesses):
tour 2 hrs
local parking, puchase tix, climb hills to castle, etc. 1.5 hrs
lunch 1 hr.

Using these estimates, you have a 9+ hour day. Others can help refine the estimates, but this doesn't sound like a great way to start a holiday trip (at least to me).

Additional thought: How important is Fuessen? A very nice alternative is Herreninsel in Chiemsee. Nice castle, same crazy king, pleasant boat ride AND almost directly on the route between Munich & Salzburg.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I did calculate the times beforehand; what gave me pause was not knowing how busy Neuschwanstein would be (and thus how much time we'd actually get in the area). And yeah, it's the fact that it's a 9+ hour day that led to me post this in the first place. ;)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I'd add, that since you have a day between the Friday delivery and the Sunday marathon travel that you could well be rested and ready. Of course if your Saturday is going to be booked full and other than one of rest then the full schedule ahead may be less enjoyable.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I am planning to do Munich-Fussen-Bergamo in one day... So don't feel that bad ;)

·
Registered
329 Posts
what gave me pause was not knowing how busy Neuschwanstein would be (and thus how much time we'd actually get in the area).
From Frommer's Germany (describing Neuschwanstein): "Be prepared for very long lines (sometimes an incredible 4 or 5 hr. wait) at the castles during summer, especially in August. On some days, 25,000 people visit."

The wait is probably shorter right now, but if you try this exercise you should definitely consider reserving a ticket in advance.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I reserved a ticket last night, very simple. I asked for 10:00 a.m. and got 10:15.

·
Laguna Seca Guy
466 Posts
You can also make the castle visit take less time and make it much less strenuous by taking the bus up to Mary's Bridge. We rode up and walked down, which made for a relaxing circuit.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just visited on the 8th. No lines for a Friday, add more time if you plan to see both castles. Parking is 4.5 Euro.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I just got back from Budapest last night.

I hope you're prepared for Hungarian drivers. They don't stop much for pedestrians or cars and drive pretty fast even on city streets.

The were passing cars on 2-lane roads left and right in the city.

·
einauslander
49 Posts
I reserved a ticket last night, very simple. I asked for 10:00 a.m. and got 10:15.
Good idea to reserve. I like the system they have - very organized. You pickup your tickets at the base of the mountain near the parking lot. Inside the castle courtyard, they have a clock and tour numbers displayed near three turn-stiles. At the exact time of your tour, the tour number is displayed on the board. When you swipe the appropriate tour ticket, the light turns green and you can go thru.

Take the bus (every 20mins) or the horse-carriage when going up the mountain to the castle. The hike up is long and steep at times - should take about 30 mins if you walk. This time the wife wanted to take the horse-carriage then complained about the smell all the way up the mountain. Reminded me of the Seinfeld beef-a-roni episode.

TIP: If you want to save a few minutes on the way down, look for a parking lot sign that leads you to a short cut on the right that has a stair followed by a paved pathway that takes you directly to the parking lot.

Don't miss going to Mary's Bridge (Merien Brücke ). For me, the view of the castle and the sorrounding scenery from Mary's Bridge was better that the tour of the castle interior.

When we were there on April 30th, we saw a couple of ED cars - not sure if they were fellow Bimmerfesters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts