Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
CarSwami
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I've ordered an E93 335i Convertible for a 04 May 2007 pick-up at Munich. My family wants to visit Salzburg, Vienna and Prague (in addition to Munich) during the ten days or so that we will be in Europe. I'm looking for some advice from Bimmerfest colleagues who have traveled on this route to tell me whether this itinerary is doable in 9-10 days. Prague was originally not on our itinerary, but my family is now really keen to spend at least a day there. I tried to do a search for a thread with this itinerary, but I was not able to find exactly what I was looking for.

One other question: Is Prague one of the cities I can drop off the car, or should I plan to return to Munich and drop it off at Harms?

I'm getting excited about my first ED. Thanks for all the information that the posters on this forum have provided to me. You've given me the confidence that I can actually do this!

CarSwami

E93 Convertible: Montego Blue, Premium Package, Sports Package, Nav

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Sounds very doable. Salzburg is a one day town...very touristy. You can't drop-off in Prague but you can in Vienna.

·
CarSwami
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MarcusSDCA.

Looking at a map of Europe, perhaps I should consider Munich, Salzburg, Prague and lastly Vienna, where I can drop off the car. Do you know if the Salzburg to Vienna drive is as scenic as I have been led to believe? If it is, my family may not want to miss driving in the Alps!

Too many choices!

CarSwami

·
Freude am Fahren
19,686 Posts
Looking at a map of Europe, perhaps I should consider Munich, Salzburg, Prague and lastly Vienna, where I can drop off the car. Do you know if the Salzburg to Vienna drive is as scenic as I have been led to believe? If it is, my family may not want to miss driving in the Alps!

Too many choices!

CarSwami
This sounds better. The drive from Munich past Salzburg in the Salzkammergut is very beautiful. As you go more east, it is not Alpine-beautiful on the Autobahn but there are points where you could stop (Melk and Dürnstein, fairly close to Vienna) which are worth the detour en route.

·
CarSwami
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Jonathan

Thanks for the advice. Sounds as though the Salzburg to Vienna route is one that we should definitely not miss. But if we go from Vienna to Prague, then I have to figure out where we should drop off the car. Return to Vienna, or go back to Munich. Which of the two would you recommend? Thanks.

CarSwami

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
I'm doing Munich-Salzburg-Vienna-Munich (by car), then Munich-Berlin (plane)- Prague (train) -Berlin (train) - Munich (plane). I'm flying to Berlin and taking the train due to time constraints. So, it is definitely doable, and I'd recommend dropping back in Munich, if the flights work out better for you.

We depart Saturday night, and return to the US on Tuesday morning, so an 11 day/9 night trip.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,686 Posts
Hi Jonathan

Thanks for the advice. Sounds as though the Salzburg to Vienna route is one that we should definitely not miss. But if we go from Vienna to Prague, then I have to figure out where we should drop off the car. Return to Vienna, or go back to Munich. Which of the two would you recommend? Thanks.

CarSwami
All things being equal, if you have the time, I would spend the 4 hours driving from Vienna to Munich.

When I dropped my most recent car off in Vienna, it sat for quite a while before it was trucked to Munich (instead of being trucked to the port, which WAS what they normally did). So it took at least 10 days longer (although the ultimate redelivery time was pretty quick). Cars are trucked from Munich to the port every day, sometimes there are several trucks in a day.

I'm the first one to say that you can't do very much to influence redelivery times. But if you drop off in Munich, you do start out with an advantage.

If your time is limited, and you decide to fly out of Vienna, doing the drop-off there is very easy.

More importantly, on the drive from Munich to Vienna, make time to drive up to Melk and Dürnstein (both in Niederösterreich). See photos below.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
In May the roads should neither be busy nor icy and, hopefully, not wet. That being the case, if the weather's good, it's easy to do Munich - Salzburg - Vienna - Prague - Munich in the 9/10 days you have allowed.
Day 1 Arrive Munich, collect car, stay in city center
Day 2 Munich-Salzburg pm
Day 3 Salzburg
Day 4 Salzburg-Vienna pm
Day 5 Vienna
Day 6 Vienna
Day 7 Vienna - Prague am
Day 8 Prague
Day 9 Prague - Munich pm stay at airport hotel
Da 10 Return Flight

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Thanks MarcusSDCA.

Too many choices!

CarSwami
I haven't driven from Salzburg all the way to Vienna but I have driven about halfway there and yes....it's absolutely stunning. Austria is less expensive than Germany too. The only risk in those scenic mountain drives is weather....if it's stormy you might not get those postcard views....especially if the cloud ceiling is low. But given your itinerary you should have a lot of opportunity to see great things.

·
CarSwami
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jonathan/John/Marcus

Thanks a bunch for the tips. Your advice seems very sound. I'll plan something approaching the itinerary that John has suggested. But I'll probably try to arrive the day before I take delivery of the car so as to have a good night's sleep and get over the jet lag.

This forum is a great place to get information. I would probably have not even considered doing ED without the help and advice of friends like you.

CarSwami

·
Registered
602 Posts
9-10 days for your proposed itinerary is certainly very, very doable. Two years ago I did Munich - Salzburg - Vienna - Prague - Berlin - Hamburg over a 10 day period. So your itinerary should be easy to accomplish. I also would follow the recommendations to drive back to Munich. It will be easy to accomplish in the time you propose, you will get to see more of the area and possibly your car will get back to you quicker.

There are a couple of points made earlier that I think need clarification that I mostly do not concur with.

Salzburg is certainly NOT a one day only tourist town. In May I can't think of a better place to relax and enjoy some austrian hospitality. Nor do I think it will be totally overrun with tourists then. For Salzburg visits I always recommend the Goldener Hirsch hotel, expensive but worth every penny.

Salzburg to Vienna via the autobahn is not especially scenic. Sure there are some nice vistas but nothing that I would think is special. The area around Linz is mostly industrial. Certainly the route into Vienna is nothing to behold.

Similarly, the route from Vienna to Prague is nothing special to behold.

Although I didn't have the time to drive it I had heard that the route north from Linz through Cesky Krumlov to Ceske Budejovice is pretty incredible. Lots of castles, etc.

Were I you I would follow that route on the reverse. Munich - Salzburg - Vienna - Prague - Budejovice - Krumlov - Passau - Munich.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
I'll offer some advice on a clockwise route, rather than the counter-clockwise samples offered here.

I'd do Munich -> Prague, then Prague -> Vienna, then Vienna -> Salzburg and finally Salzburg -> Munich on the drop-off day (it's a 90 min drive). All other legs are around 4 hours.

- Munich to Prague is mostly highway - not too scenic but not very boring either.
- Prague to Vienna passes through some incredibly beautiful wine country, past Brno.
- Vienna to Salzburg can be made memorable by driving the scenic route, not the Autobahn - and stopping by in some of the small towns along the way (like Melk). The Wachau region where the scenic road threads its way along the northern bank of the Danube is incredible (incredibly busy too, but worth it IMO). Then at Linz you can get back on the highway for the 1.5 hour drive to Salzburg, stopping by a drive around Attersee if you have time.

- I'd stay at least 2 full days in Prague, 3 if you can spare it.
- 3 days in Vienna.
- 1 day in Salzburg.

Hope this helps, you can PM me if you want to ask more detailed questions... :thumbup:

·
CarSwami
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks jl5555 and adc for your comments. Since I cannot drop the car off in Prague, I'm will either have to drive back into Germany to drop off the car, or do what adc suggested and do the trip in reverse so that the last leg is from Salzburg to Munich. I'll need to work with my family to try and revise our original plan.

Am I right in thinking that I can only drop off the car on Monday-Friday, i.e., the drop off center is closed on Saturdays and Sundays? My family and I built this assumption into our original plan, but I have never checked to make sure that this assumption was accurate.

Thanks again for all your help.

CarSwami

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Am I right in thinking that I can only drop off the car on Monday-Friday, i.e., the drop off center is closed on Saturdays and Sundays? My family and I built this assumption into our original plan, but I have never checked to make sure that this assumption was accurate.

Thanks again for all your help.

CarSwami
Congrats, and welcome to the May 4th ED club! :thumbup:

May 4 - 335i - guppyflyer
- 335i - redadair
- 335xi - fszatko
- 535xi - [email protected]
- 535i - Bikie
- 335i -CarSwami

There are six of us now picking up that day. Hopefully we'll have a chance to meet. our trips sound similar, we'll be in Salzburg and VIenna I'm sure at the same time. We're dropping the car in Vienna on the 8th, and taking the train back to Munich on the 11th. If you stop at Harms and fill out the paperwork in advance you can drop the car off on the weekend IIRC.

Erik

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
You can drop off during weekdays (except holidays) without any prior notice.

You can drop off during weekends with prior arrangements - for example after picking the car up, go to the drop off location and complete the paperwork & leave 1 key, then you can drop off during the weekend. You can also pre-arrange so that a taxi will be there at a specific time during the weekend to pick you up after dropping the car off (but you need to be punctual). That's how we did it, hope it helps. :thumbup:

·
Using SPF 45
3,669 Posts
Hi Jonathan

CarSwami
Why not drop the car and take a train from Vienna to Prague? Isn't Prague a city you don't really want your new BMW in anyway?

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Isn't Prague a city you don't really want your new BMW in anyway?
In my opinion, less so than Washington DC. :D

I found Prague very easy to navigate, with less traffic than other major European cities, curteous drivers - and if you take common-sense measures such as parking at night in a secure location and never leaving valuables in the car (which apply to any destination in Europe), then you should be perfectly fine.

Me and the car felt safer in Prague than in many places in Italy (Rome, Florence etc.). Not trying to start an argument here, just relating my own personal point of view... :dunno:

·
Scourge of the Seas
357 Posts
Munich to Salzburg is a wonderful drive. Done it twice, better if you take some of the roads through the mountains as opposed to autobahn all the way. Check some travel guides for alternative routes.

I think a full day is fine for Salzburg. You can hike up to Hohensalzburg for some magnificent views. See the Old Town and head over to the gardens at Castle Mirabell. You could take a river cruise for more views, I suppose. You can do it in a day. Hell, I did Paris in a day, sans museums.

http://www.visit-salzburg.net/travel/salzburgmap.htm

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Is the 2 for 1 airline deal applicable if you fly to Munich from the U.S., but return from Vienna to the U.S. ?
I haven't used the 2 for 1 personally, but it has been mentioned that this is one of the advantages of the Lufthansa deal. You'll probably still have to connect in MUC or FRA on the way back however.

Erik

1 - 20 of 24 Posts