Bimmerfest BMW banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
19,686 Posts
I haven't used the 2 for 1 personally, but it has been mentioned that this is one of the advantages of the Lufthansa deal. You'll probably still have to connect in MUC or FRA on the way back however.

Erik
Erik, taking UAL to FRA?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Actually.........no! We would, but we're taking the kids, so we bought tix on LH nonstop DEN-MUC. If we flew UA it would be on standby, and the kids are a bit young still to sit by themselves if we got seats all over the aircraft. Plus this way we can act like everyone else, rude and obnoxious! ;)

Erik

·
Registered
693 Posts
Salzburg is certainly NOT a one day only tourist town. In May I can't think of a better place to relax and enjoy some austrian hospitality. Nor do I think it will be totally overrun with tourists then. For Salzburg visits I always recommend the Goldener Hirsch hotel, expensive but worth every penny.
Regarding Salzburg, I agree with the previous poster (sabado gigante) that Salzburg IS a one day/ night town. I know several people disagree on this issue, but for some reason, Salzburg has a reputation far bigger than its size - it is a very small city, total population about 150,000; Vienna, by comparison, has at least 10 times as many people. I concur that the Goldener Hirsch is excellent, as is The Sacher - and if it is not a busy time, they can be had at (relatively) excellent rates. Salzburg, no doubt, is charming, but it is small, and while it seems to charm many, I know many others who have been disappointed due to inflated expectations.

If it were me, I would spend more time in Vienna and Prague than in Salzburg. But of course, this is all rather subjective, isn't it.

·
Beemedobleve
235 Posts
More to Salzburg

I know some of us here are going back and forth on this...

In my opinion Slazburg is NOT a one day city.
We did the "Sound of Music" tour (I guess some will think this is kind of corny) and we were happy we did that, which took the morning. The tour took us through some scenic roads which we later revisited. We also had the following on our list:

-The awesome street market near the departure point for the bus tours
-The gardens
-The Festung Hohensalzburg (Fortress)
-The Hellbrun Palace
-The Mozart birth house and his childhood home
-The Augustiner Bräu (for awesome lunch and beverages (though expensive) http://www.augustinerbraeu.de/)
-See live concerts
-Walk the city and the shops

...and a few other things.

Also, we felt Austria (at least in the food department) was more expensive than Germany, and I could not use my credit cards in Austria because of some bank system reason, so that made it more difficult.

I agree with the drive to Vienna as not being spectacular. We enjoyed northern Italy and Switzerland more...but you are not going to be anywhere near there.

We liked Germany because it seemed well organized and clean and convenient. We liked Austria because it was green, clean, and environmentally beautiful. We would do both in a heart beat. If you stay in Austria, try to spend a couple of days in a small town. We stayed in Radstadt (you can see it in our writeup) and we loved it.

Have fun!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts