BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick overview of my trip.......

Arrived in Munich 7/12/07 with my father......

Luggage got lost........

Got picked up by Peter in a new 3 series wagon (he got up to 200 km/hr on the way)........

Picked up the car (Quick and easy although delivery lady was in a rush..she was kinda cute though....Receptionist extremely cute!!!).......

Drove into middle of Munich and had a few drinks waiting for my luggage to be found (NO ALCOHOL of course).......

6 hours later luggage is found and arrives at the airport......

Pick up luggage from airport and start drive towards Graz, Austria......

Get stuck in traffic on the autobahn for about 3 hours near border of Germany and Austria........

Arrive just outside of Graz, Austria 3 more hours later and park in a rest stop and take a quick nap until 7 a.m.......

Wake up at 7am and start my journey to Turkey........

Fast Forward......Arrive in Turkey about 48 hours from the time i left Munich.........

Traffic in Istanbul, Turkey was craziest i have ever seen in my life........

Spent about 11 days in Bursa, Turkey and drove around Turkey quite a bit while i was there....Def need some skills to drive there.....No such thing as traffic rules although they do stop drivers for speeding....Got a speeding ticket in Croatia by the way (Actually gave the guy 50 euros and he said NO TICKET!)

Left Bursa, Turkey on July 24 and arrived in Munich 25 hours later.....I didnt take my time on the way back....

Spent about a day and a half in Munich although i didnt really do much or go anywhere and left Munich on July 27.....

Arrived home July 27......................

·
Registered
753 Posts
And your photos are where?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't loaded my pics on my computer yet.......Will post update when I do.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Haven't loaded my pics on my computer yet.......Will post update when I do.
Congratulations on what sounds like a great trip! I knew you could do it!
+1 on traffic in Istanbul... It's pretty crazy, indeed. 25 hours from Bursa to Munich sounds like a lot of pretty fast driving :)

Can't wait to see pics.

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
What was your route to and from Turkey?

Great to hear of your trip´s success - will sound even better with some pictures. :angel:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Route from Munich to Turkey was......

Germany,

Austria,

Slovenia (went through a "special" border and was told i would have to go through another border crossing) I believe that happened to someone else on here. And i also smelled beer on the older border guard.

Croatia (got pulled over and payed off the cop..50 Euros...actually gave him 65 and he gave me back 15 of it, threw the 50 in his notebook and told me "NO TICKET". THat was cool even though i lost 50 bucks euro. Was going 120 km/hr in a 60 km/hr "work" zone even though there were no work crews anywhere.

Serbia,

Bulgaria (probably the worst roads that i drove through on my trip but not as bad as you would think)

Turkey (second worst roads on my trip and the craziest traffic)

then back

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
Congrats. That sounds like a great and adventurous trip.

How many km in each direction?

(Sorry I sounded sceptical when you first posted by the way - it still sounds a bit daunting and I´ve driven all over Europa)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Did you consider flying there? Or were u more interested in the drive?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When the police officer in Croatia pulled me over he actually tried to explain to me using his notebook that going 60 km/hr over the speed limit is a $500 Euro fine. I told him that i didnt have that kind of money and it was my first time in Europe and that i dont know the rules here. Then he dropped the fine again using his notebook to $75 Euro. I again explained to him i didnt have enough money and i told him i would ask my father who was waiting in the car if he had any money. I came back to the police officer and explained i only had $65 Euro on me. He took the $65 Euro, looked at it and gave me $15 Euro back and said NO TICKET and i shook his hand, thanked him and was on my way.

I never considered flying to Turkey.....I wanted to be able to say that i drove through Europe in a brand new BMW 335i.....And now i can.

·
Travel Fever
2,745 Posts
60km?? what road is that?? We all know what he was trying to do!! I think they are dropping it to 45km to save the environment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Question about Trip to Turkey

Hi imparator4

I am also thinking of driving to Bursa from Munich. I was just wondering if you had any problem at the border when crossing to Turkey. I was told that export plates that come with ED are not recognized by non-EU countries. Also, where did you get the triptik from? You can contact me at [email protected]

Thanks

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Hi imparator4

I am also thinking of driving to Bursa from Munich. I was just wondering if you had any problem at the border when crossing to Turkey. I was told that export plates that come with ED are not recognized by non-EU countries. Also, where did you get the triptik from? You can contact me at [email protected]

Thanks
Switzerland is not a member of EU, yet plenty of cars with zoll plates could be seeing there...
I think he also drove through other non-EU members' territories on his trip to Turkey.

I don't think you would have an issue with zoll plates in Turkey.

Good luck! :bigpimp:

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
Switzerland is not a member of EU, yet plenty of cars with zoll plates could be seeing there...
I think he also drove through other non-EU members' territories on his trip to Turkey.

I don't think you would have an issue with zoll plates in Turkey.
Switzerland is on the list of countries that BMW NA published as "permitted" countries to visit. Non-EU countries such as Turkey as not.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Switzerland is on the list of countries that BMW NA published as "permitted" countries to visit. Non-EU countries such as Turkey as not.
Can you post a link to the list of 'permitted' countries? What about other non-EU countries that OP had to cross on his trip to Turkey, are they on the list? Anyway, he did drive to Turkey in ED car, unless that's questionable in your mind :D

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
I don't have it but AFAI recall, it was All EU countries plus CH.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I don't have it but AFAI recall, it was All EU countries plus CH.
Here is the list for EU countries:

* Austria
* Belgium
* Bulgaria
* Cyprus
* Czech Republic
* Denmark
* Estonia
* Finland
* France
* Germany
* Greece
* Hungary
* Ireland
* Italy
* Latvia
* Lithuania
* Luxembourg
* Malta
* Netherlands
* Poland
* Portugal
* Romania
* Slovakia
* Slovenia
* Spain
* Sweden
* United Kingdom

I believe OP crossed a few that are not on the list...plus he crossed Turkish boarder... Not sure if the originator of the question about zoll plates acceptance outside of EU is looking for a way to make his trip to Turkey possible or talking himself out of it...:bigpimp:

PS. Okay It's only one additional non-EU country on OP's list (Serbia)... :)

·
Freude am Fahren
19,695 Posts
The OP's trip was prior to BMW publishing this list.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
The OP's trip was prior to BMW publishing this list.
I see. I suppose it's still possible to take a detour via Romania to avoid Serbia, but you still have to cross the Turkish border...
Is the list just a recommendation or a rule set by BMW NA? Would be interesting to see the list and contest in which it was published.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts