Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Need for Speed
484 Posts
Just means you are not allowing the engine to heat up enough. Do you drive short distances of less than 20 mins? The yellow milky stuff is from condensation.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only take the cars on short drives usually lol. I have never replaced my CCV system. Also I live in a cold climate. So I think it***8217;s a good idea to upgrade/replace my CCV with a cold climate one because I***8217;m not sure if I have a cold climate one now.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,081 Posts
I only take the cars on short drives usually lol. I have never replaced my CCV system. Also I live in a cold climate. So I think it's a good idea to upgrade/replace my CCV with a cold climate one because I'm not sure if I have a cold climate one now.
Don`t worry about replacing your CVV with a "Cold Climate" one....that is a completely useless joke, the only thing it accomplishes is to make it damn near impossible to install (due to ultra-tight clearances in that area), most guys wind up tearing that thin-ass Styrofoam coating off it because it just gets in the way, and does absolutely nothing positive. Just get the standard one and be done with it ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Drive the car at highway speeds for at least 20 miles on a weekly basis. This gets the driveline up to proper operating temperatures. It will allow the engine to boil off any condensation.

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,609 Posts
Mrs. SPDSKTR may have a very short drive to work in the near future. She might literally only have to drive a mile. I've been tempted to get a Fiat 500e just for her to tool back and forth to the office. They're cheap (I think some sell for as low as $4,000) and we wouldn't have to worry about gas, oil, etc. She doesn't believe me when I tell her multiple short trips are hard on the engine. She also tops off the gas tank and thinks automotive paint is tough stuff...

:tsk:

·
Who, me?
2,733 Posts
Hello, I have this mustard like substance in the inside of my oil cap. (See picture below). Does this mean it's time to change my CCV on my 2002 330ci?
I like to call it peanut butter.

Once you get it, your CCV is likely already clogged. Even if you change your driving habits, you'll need to replace the CCV system.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CCV or oil Catch Can

Would you recommend replacing the CCV system or doing an oil catch can? I do live NE where it can get pretty cold. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,081 Posts
Would you recommend replacing the CCV system or doing an oil catch can? I do live NE where it can get pretty cold. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
Well, here`s your choices:
The catch can will require keeping an eye on it, like checking your oil, or the air in your tires. The can will need to be cleaned out once in a while, if you mount it where it is easily accessible, that ain`t no big thang....

The CVV will not require anything (until it dies again :rofl:)

·
Registered
971 Posts
Egoy936, I tried the catch can route this year and it did not work for me at all. I'm located in WI. All summer long I had no problem. Then started winter and about 1 month into it, even with the temperature being mild, my catch can/hoses/intake distributor all clogged up and my car threw a code. Could it be my car? Maybe. However, I don't take short trips with mine. My commute is 10 miles each way. The problem I think is the catch can being left out in the open cavity of the engine bay where it doesn't get heat up fast enough or stay hot enough with driving.

I'm trying to put in another PCV solution but this time I'm using the valve itself and I have the valve sit on the exhaust side of the engine (passenger side). I will also be covering up that side with fiberglass insulation, trying to enclose it thoroughly to eliminate the drafts due to driving. The solution will be ugly with the hoses running on top of the valve cover but I don't mind since I"m not selling my car. Another benefit is that if I need to, the PCV valve will be easier to remove and replace. Good luck with yours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts