BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My 1st BMW

371 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Shannon aka Pickol 
#1 ·
I just bought a 1999 BMW 528i. It has window problems and other minor issues when I bought it. Has 170k miles I only paid $800 for it. The first night I had it I left the parking lights on and jump started the car from the battery the next morning. Found out that was not the correct way to jump start a BMW. Now here's my problem and question after I jump started it the instrument panel doesn't work at all no RPM no speed or gas gauges work. The driver side tail light works but not the passenger side and the passenger side headlight and blinker work but driver side doesn't. All the lights worked fine and the instrument panel did to before the battery got jump started from. I've replaced every fuse in the car the fuse box behind the glovebox and the fuse box in the trunk plus got a new battery. I've unplugged the positive and negative cables for 12 hours with them touching and still some thing but sometimes the instrument panel will work until I turn the car off then it won't work. Is it my LCM? What is making all this happen?

#3 ·
I am no expert but it sounds like you short circuited part of the electrical system. As someone who owned a BMW for 175K miles, I would not have recommended buying such an old car with so many miles. This car will likely keep costing you. Once they hit 100K miles, things start to wear out or fall apart. I was spending a few hundred dollars every month on my 330i before I sold it. If you are good at working on the car yourself, it may be worth it. But if you have to take it to a mechanic for everything, it will be the gift that will keep on costing you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.