BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just registered over here and gotta tell you guys alot of good stuff here at the forums. My question is this:

2003 330ci/met steel grey/sport/bi-xenon/15K-year/36 month lease/2500 down

msrp = 37410
monthly payment = 544/month

2003 330i/met steel grey/sport/bi-xenon/15K-year/36 month lease/2500 down

msrp = 37010
monthly payment = 497/month

Why is there such a difference between the monthly payments when the msrp is only 400 difference. Is there something I am missing.

Chris

·
Registered
142 Posts
Chris908 said:
I just registered over here and gotta tell you guys alot of good stuff here at the forums. My question is this:

2003 330ci/met steel grey/sport/bi-xenon/15K-year/36 month lease/2500 down

msrp = 37410
monthly payment = 544/month

2003 330i/met steel grey/sport/bi-xenon/15K-year/36 month lease/2500 down

msrp = 37010
monthly payment = 497/month

Why is there such a difference between the monthly payments when the msrp is only 400 difference. Is there something I am missing.

Chris
The money factor (rent charge) is always higher on the coupes.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
As I have to be dealing with this soon when my 2003 330i arrives, I started an Excel sheet to figure out payments for possible loans & leases. Just edit the cells marked in yellow to fit your options.

It also includes a loan amorzation table.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks a bunch man, when are you getting your 330i. I hae been seriously thinking about getting the sedan as well. I think the sedan with the spot package wheels looks great. Best of luck with your new ride and thanks for the info

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Chris908 said:
thanks a bunch man, when are you getting your 330i. I hae been seriously thinking about getting the sedan as well. I think the sedan with the spot package wheels looks great. Best of luck with your new ride and thanks for the info
It should be about on the boat by now. It completed production last week.

I hope it will be at the dealer by Oct 20 or so?

I loved the look of my 2001 330Ci, but the sedan has many advantages. Also, I really love the solid bank-vault sound when you shut the door on a sedan. The framless windows of the coupe were weak.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just think the sedan is more practical, GF and kid, friends all climbing in oer the seats in a coupe doesnt appeal to me. One question about the excel sheet you sent me. How do you figure out what the future value would be say if I order the car I mentioned in my first post. BTW, what is the deal you are getting on your sedan. I was quoted for the car mentioned about around (330i) if i recall they were gonna gie me below msrp i think final cost was 35500.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Chris908 said:
How do you figure out what the future value would be say if I order the car I mentioned in my first post.
Your first post does not have the right information to make use of the spread sheet.

Present Value: Is the initial amount of the loan. Since it is the amount YOU OWE, use (-) not a (+).

Future Value: Is the remaining value of the loan at the end. If you all out buy the car then the future value of the loan would be $0, because you paid the loan down to $0. If you lease or have a balloon loan, then you never really pay it all off, so the future value is the amount remaining on a balloon loan, or the residual of a lease when you give the car back or refinance.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Chris908 said:
one more quick question. Is the residual alue at the end of your lease something that you can negotiate,
Oh for sure!

You need to negotiate.

1) Selling price of the car
2) Interest rate of finiancing
3) Residual of car

·
Registered
480 Posts
CD-55 said:

Oh for sure!

You need to negotiate.

1) Selling price of the car
2) Interest rate of finiancing
3) Residual of car
You can negotiate all things EXCEPT the Residual. You can lower the residual but never negotiate it higher. Residuals are set by an association of leasing or something like that.

If you could negotiate residuals then people could get some insane residuals which would make the payments real low. The higher the residual the lower your payement since you are paying for less of the car over the time that you have it.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Ben Chou said:

You can negotiate all things EXCEPT the Residual. You can lower the residual but never negotiate it higher. Residuals are set by an association of leasing or something like that.
So the residual is the same for all dealers? They don't ever take some profit there?

Should my bank or credit union have the same residual as the BMW dealer?

·
Registered
480 Posts
CD-55 said:

So the residual is the same for all dealers? They don't ever take some profit there?

Should my bank or credit union have the same residual as the BMW dealer?
Residuals are the same for all BMWNA dealers if they go thru BMWFS. They really don't get to keep profit here since residuals are set. The Money factor is where the dealer get to make some profit if they can get about the buy rate. Some people want lower residuals so they pay more over the lease term if they know that they want to purchase the car come lease end, and this can be done, but you cannot raise residuals.

The bank and credit union should have the same residual, maybe 1 or two percentages off. This is how manufacturers run insane lease specials is by subsidizing the leases. This is done by boosting the residuals with the manufaturers own money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts