BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My 2008 328I Factory Warranty about to expire

3854 12
Dear BimmerNation -

My 2008 328I convertible with 32K which I'm keeping is about to come due on its regular factory warranty, I looked into buying an extended service contract but for what they are asking for I can almost self insure myself.
I have taken the car recently to the dealer to have it checked out, they tell me everything is fine and it needs nothing.
Is there any preventive maintenance that can be performed that I am not aware of? besides the normal oil change and change of wipers that can be done before letting my factory warranty lapse.
It seems odd that my BMW is almost 4 years old and the vehicle not require much more than what my service adviser is explaining to me.
I appreciate any specific recommendations so that can make sure I can get more driving pleasure from my BMW.

Thanks
Laz
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
I'd take it to an Indy and have him check everything. BMW tends to say everything is fine when car is under mfr warranty.
Great idea! I will most certainly take you up on that recommendation, but are they any other common mechanical issues that I should address, even though my 328I with only 32K has never shown any signs of mechanical failure.
Get Mike Miller's BMW maintenance schedule (web search) and follow it within reason...
With such low mileage I doubt you have any problems. I have a 2008 528 with 50k mile and here are the problems i have them fixed under warranty:

Replace new battery at 4th year
Replace motor mounts due to vibration at idle
Replace the alternator tensioner and belt
Replace hydraulic lifters due to ticking noise

I think those are pretty common on the 5. Inspect those. Another thing I'd be concerned is the convertible top. It might be expensive should anything went wrong. I'd buy BMW extended warranty if i plan to keep it for another 3-4 years. You dont have to buy it from you local dealers though. At least get the dealer to do all the maintence items like wipers, oil change, brake fluid, brakes, etc.
Got control arm bushings on our 2005 E46 right before warranty expired. Not sure but the E90 CABs seem to not wear as fast?

You would feel a little vibration / looseness in the steering if you need CABs.
Anyone, please feel free to correct any of my misunderstandings. Is it true that if you wait for looseness/vibration, that we are already way past the point of needing to change them out. That we should have them visually inspected every once in a while, looking for any cracking, or failure of any sort. That if you wait until this point, you may be putting other more expensive parts at greater risk of failure. Worse, we are putting ourselves and/or others at risk of death, since the part may be more likely to completely fail while driving.

Or are BMW bushings not as critical as with CABs on other makes? I'm a noobie, and love learning little things everyday here, thanks.
Got control arm bushings on our 2005 E46 right before warranty expired. Not sure but the E90 CABs seem to not wear as fast?

You would feel a little vibration / looseness in the steering if you need CABs.
To comment on the warranty expiration concept, in general, I am sympathetic that's it's a less-than-optimal situation as repairs can get costly.
However, I look at my $600 monthly payments as the BIGGEST problem at the moment. If the monthly payments aren't being made, the party's over! :)
Now, keeping in mind that we are looking at a depreciating "asset," the warranty typically expires just around the same time the payments are up.
So I'd much rather be at the 4-5 year mark with NO warranty but also NO monthly payments. Why? There's absolutely no way the car would brake and would require upkeep to the tune of 600 per month....
Finally some common sense! I am constantly amazed by people that have no problem with a huge car payment or lease payment but go absolutely ballistic if they have to pay for a repair! Like the old commercial says, you can pay me now or you can pay me later, but when it comes to cars you are going to pay me!
To comment on the warranty expiration concept, in general, I am sympathetic that's it's a less-than-optimal situation as repairs can get costly.
However, I look at my $600 monthly payments as the BIGGEST problem at the moment. If the monthly payments aren't being made, the party's over! :)
Now, keeping in mind that we are looking at a depreciating "asset," the warranty typically expires just around the same time the payments are up.
So I'd much rather be at the 4-5 year mark with NO warranty but also NO monthly payments. Why? There's absolutely no way the car would brake and would require upkeep to the tune of 600 per month....
:thumbup: I've been in the middle of the "keep it or trade it in" process recently and finally committed today to maintaining what we have. My wife has wanted a Mini or 1-series for awhile (she loves the idea of a nice SMALLER car) but after weeks/months of on and off price checks and weighing value for the money, we just couldn't justify getting rid of our 58k mile great-running 325i. Yes, I'd like a newer car with covered maintenance/warranty, but it just doesn't make financial sense when I know how well our car has been maintained (so presumably how well it will hold up down the road). Today's $344 rear brake job was the first real expense I've had for this car (tires soon to follow). No complaints.
Correct you? I congratulate you. Yes, Ilovemycar. Yes.

Every savvy BMW pilot knows that most malfunctions, unless clearly inhibiting vehicle motion, are a part of normal mechanical activity [first years of operation]. You alone have detailed what every BMW owner should do.

You see, dear reader, if you wait for any part or function to fail, you "....are already way past the point of needing to change them out."

As a historical note, we thank George W Bush for the notion of pre-emptive action, supplanting 'preventative' in our evolved society. Thus, we are mandated to document possible problems before warranty expiration so that they are shown to fall within the area of manufacturer's responsibility.

What problems are those? Just comb through forum posts for your model of interest, and you shall find a reliable list. Bring up even remotely questionable operation, in writing, to your dealer at service time!

You should begin ~18 months before warranty expiration to establish a defensible history of issues. If a manufacturer fails to correct them under warranty, believe you me he'll be required to after!

Within reason, of course. There are no guidelines for one problem vs another, and mileage after warranty will be factored. But, without the above protections, you may as well walk naked through a 'gator farm!

Words to the wise....
Anyone, please feel free to correct any of my misunderstandings. Is it true that if you wait for looseness/vibration, that we are already way past the point of needing to change them out. That we should have them visually inspected every once in a while, looking for any cracking, or failure of any sort. That if you wait until this point, you may be putting other more expensive parts at greater risk of failure. Worse, we are putting ourselves and/or others at risk of death, since the part may be more likely to completely fail while driving.
There is wisdom here if one can peer / pierce the turbidity of this knowledgeable search recommendation.

My adding of CABs was a paltry contribution to potential issues ... perhaps a list even aspiring as a sticky could be fabricated from the vast knowledge and first hand experience that populates this board.
Correct you? I congratulate you. Yes, Ilovemycar. Yes.

Every savvy BMW pilot knows that most malfunctions, unless clearly inhibiting vehicle motion, are a part of normal mechanical activity [first years of operation only]. You alone have detailed what every BMW owner should do.

You see, dear reader, if you wait for any part or vehicle function to fail, you "....are already way past the point of needing to change them out."

As an historical note, we thank George W Bush for the notion of pre-emptive action, supplanting 'preventative' in our evolved society. Thus, we are mandated to document possible problems before warranty expiration so that they are shown to fall within the area of manufacturer's responsibility.

What problems are those? Just comb through forum posts for your model of interest, and you shall find a reliable list. Bring up even remotely questionable operation, in writing, to your dealer at service time!

You should begin ~18 months before warranty expiration to establish a defensible history of issues. If a manufacturer fails to correct them under warranty, believe you me he'll be required to after!

Within reason, of course. There are no guidelines for one problem vs another, and mileage after warranty will be factored. But, without the above protections, you may as well walk naked into a 'gator farm.

Words to the wise....
Good for you!..... nobody know your car like you do and if you like it keep it.

We have a 10 year old 330i in the family that has cost us less to keep running than buying new every 3 years and honestly I'd rather drive that classic than many new computer controlled wonders.
:thumbup: I've been in the middle of the "keep it or trade it in" process recently and finally committed today to maintaining what we have. My wife has wanted a Mini or 1-series for awhile (she loves the idea of a nice SMALLER car) but after weeks/months of on and off price checks and weighing value for the money, we just couldn't justify getting rid of our 58k mile great-running 325i. Yes, I'd like a newer car with covered maintenance/warranty, but it just doesn't make financial sense when I know how well our car has been maintained (so presumably how well it will hold up down the road). Today's $344 rear brake job was the first real expense I've had for this car (tires soon to follow). No complaints.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.