BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's here!! My 08 550i is here!!!

Picked it up at 9.52 this morning. I would have had it sooner, but it seems that a poor job of tightening a lug nut blew up Lewis Hamilton's tire, and F1 qualifying was delayed while his car was cleaned up.

I will take some pix later today, but I have Deep Sea blue with grey leather... and it looks great.

First thoughts:

SAT Transmission....

Make no mistake about it. THis is an automatic transmission. But it's a good one. I do have the Sport Package and Paddle Shifters ( I had 'em on my Mini before this car), and I do love the ability to keep both hands on what is a super meaty, beefy and comfy (and heated) steering wheel. The computer does blip the throttle on downshifts, so there is none of the downshift lurch that is always so evident if you don't blip your throttle. SHifts are crisp and quick.

Gurgly, burbly & rumbly exhaust:

I love it. Deep and throaty without sounding like a muscle car. But it sort of really is! It had already turned a few head at "higher" (I can't rev where I'd like to yet) rpm's.

COmfy seats, but....

THe seats are incredible. I love the adjustable side bolsters which "release you" (and of course the sterring wheel moves out of the way) when you remove the key. THe seats are incredibly comfy, supportive and infinitely adjustable. I am 6'4" 215 pounds, so I am a bean pole. I have super long legs (37" indeam), and I wish I could sneak the seat back a little further. By no means am I cramped, but I'd love to see a bit more leg room. I wear thin-sole shoes when I drive, but for wintery days (when I will NOT be driving the bologna skins and DSC 550), thicker soled shoes might cramp me more than I'd like.

I love the USB / iPod adapter. I just stuck in a memory stick with a bunch of mp3 songs... and it all shows up on the idrive.

Speaking of iDrive: I have no problems with it. It's a little clunky in it's "computer ergonomics," but I like it overall.

THe sound system is average at best, and I upgraded! My 05 Mitsubishi Montero's sound is way better, and that is a HUGE SUV with tons of space to fill accoustically.

Deep Sea BLue is a little deper than it is bluer. I was hoping for a blue more like Interlagos Blue on M5, but the color is still beautiful.

The first impression is simple. I LOVE THIS CAR!!! ... and I think I will love it more as I go.

QUestions???? :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Darrin,

I'm 6'3", and one issue I've been concerned with is the placement of the door beam between the front and rear door and how it affects the ability to see cars on the left side while you are driving.

I currently drive a coupe, and my view out the left side of the car is completely unobstructed since the left drivers window extends way back. If looking straight is 0 degrees, I can look to the left out the door window to approximately 110 degrees or so.

But when I took the 5-series for a test drive, since I move the seat back like you do, I noticed that I can only look to the left to approximately 70 degrees or so. Forget exactly, but I remember being concerned.

Any thoughts on this issue? Does it inhibit your ability to see out of the car?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darrin,

I'm 6'3", and one issue I've been concerned with is the placement of the door beam between the front and rear door and how it affects the ability to see cars on the left side while you are driving.

Any thoughts on this issue? Does it inhibit your ability to see out of the car?
I tend to drive wiith the backrest relatively upright, but i definitely do the triple look over the shoulder / glance at the mirror again when moving to my left in traffic.

Overall, it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Would love to see pics of the Gray leather interior...what trim did you get?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm 100% with you on the Logic 7. I'm not so sure what the big deal is. I had a Volvo with the premium sound and listening to the same discs I used to in the Volvo really disappoints me now. You most certainly can't compare it to a top notch systems like the Mark Levinson in the Lexus, or even to the Bose (which is an average brand) found in the Infiniti. But really that’s the only negative comment about the 08 5 series…You’re driving one the finest sedans in the world, enjoy this fabulous experience!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pix of the new addition.....

FERNANADO!!! What a drive today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Love the 'Fest
731 Posts
Do a search for Logic 7....a lot of threads have that some small tweaks to the factory set EQ will make a huge difference.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Very nice--congrats!

And as cvb said, do a search for L7 settings--I personally think it's a great OEM sound system--the best I've heard.

·
Registered
862 Posts
We've had two Lexus with Mark Levinson - I don't think it sounds better than the L7 at all. It was a lot better then the system in my e39 M5, which was really horrible, but L7 in the e60 is pretty fine IMO. Our friends have a new Acura with a real surround system - now that sounds really nice, but the Lexus ML system is a bit tired to me having lived with one for over 5 years now.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
:thumbup:Nice ride!! Congrats!!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Pix of the new addition.....

FERNANADO!!! What a drive today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice pics. IMHO, the '08 550i SP is the best looking Bimmer in the current lineup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts