BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2011 MY, June 2010 Build Crossed 100,000 miles . . . Maintenance Log

Overall very happy with how well this car has performed . . . yes there were a few nuisance CEL issues within the initial warranty period but for the past 40,000 miles or so it has been practically trouble free . . .

For easy reference I keep a maintenance/repair log . . . thought I will share that here (attached). Those looking to buy this MY E70 with high miles might find it useful . . . yes it is only one datapoint.

Looking back, things I would do differently:
  1. DEFINITELY get Adaptive Drive
  2. I have both the extended warranty and the maintenance (8 years / 120,000 miles) . . . next time around I will only get the extended warranty . . . maintenance can be easily handled by an Indy.
  3. Pay for the first engine oil change at 3,500 miles and then follow the BMW schedule (i-Drive), post free maintenance follow a 7,500 mile drain interval.
    Since I started with BMW schedule (~10,000 miles), I decided to remain with it . . . logic - shorter drain intervals are probably more important initially, not after 50,000 miles.​
  4. Options I REALLY like - multi-contour seats; Option 214 staggered wheels (I just like how it looks); got HUD as part of a package, now completely hooked on it :D; leather-wrapped dashboard, again I think it looks great :thumbup:; comfort access (just the sheer convenience)

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for sharing, this spreadsheet is great! Did you do the control arms at the dealer or an indy...what did they charge you?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks. Helpful and encouraging for those of us who keep cars a long time. Did you replace the battery in 100K? I did not see that.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Congratulations on the 6 figure milestone and thanks for sharing the experience.
How much longer are you planning on holding on to it?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
. . . Did you do the control arms at the dealer or an indy...what did they charge you?
I bought the control arms online and got my Indy to install it for me. This is probably one of those repairs that may not make much financial sense . . . I noticed my front tires were wearing out on the outer edges, middle and inner edge had plenty of tread left in them . . . changing the control arm (more negative camber) evened out the wear . . . might get an extra 10,000 miles max by doing this . . . steering wheel feel changed - much better . . . I will PM the cost.

Thanks. Helpful and encouraging for those of us who keep cars a long time. Did you replace the battery in 100K? I did not see that.
No, still on the original factory installed battery . . . Dough Huffman and others have pointed out - with regular charging using a battery charger should keep this going for 8+ years . . . giving that claim a try . . . I overnight charge twice a week using CTEK 7002 . . . so far zero issues.

Congratulations on the 6 figure milestone and thanks for sharing the experience. How much longer are you planning on holding on to it?
Typically I keep my daily drivers until I get tired of them or a must-have shows up . . . for maintenance planning purposes I plan on keeping this car for another four or five years (total 10+ years) or about 200,000 miles.

My current must-have vision - hybrid X5 diesel . . . that can do about 70 miles in all-electric mode . . . :thumbup:

One thing I forgot to mention earlier - I have the Nevada Oyster leather interior (LUCX) . . . it is showing very little wear and surprisingly quite easy to maintain . . . the outer edge of the driver seat is showing some wear signs - when I get off the car I rub against this edge. (the stain in my log was flower pollen . . . that thing will not come off with any of the methods I tried, had to re-paint that area, came out like new, fortunately covered under warranty)

My opinion after owning this car for six years, 100,000 miles . . . powertrain is solid and I am not expecting any trouble for the next 100,000 miles . . . it will be something stupid like the electric thigh support or a door lock cylinder that will go out . . . cost-wise even those can add up quickly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts