BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am I screwed?

I got my oil changed at a Quick Lube this Monday. By Tuesday my power steering was moaning and the brakes were mushy. On Wednesday, the engine overheated with really no warning and even after I let it cool down, it would not turnover when I tried to crank it. No sound whatsoever when I turn the key, no clicks or anything. Is the engine seized or is a sensor cutting out the ignition signal?

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Start with the basics: what is your battery charge? Do you have spark? Fuel? All your connections and groundings good?
Start there then expand out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
No, even if your sensors were garbage the engine would still crank over, like mentioned above, check your battery, your ground cables, and your starter

·
Registered
163 Posts
Are you getting any power anywhere? Check battery voltage. Just a wild one but there's a post regarding the sun visor operation affecting the ignition system!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Under the lift arms
13,084 Posts
No, even if your sensors were garbage the engine would still crank over, like mentioned above, check your battery, your ground cables, and your starter
or your automatic's neutral safety switch

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Battery checks out good. Still no kind of sign that the car is trying to start. No sounds, no nothing. Is there something I need to reset maybe? It did overheat so I'm thinking maybe a sensor is cutting out the ignition.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If the switch is garbage, it doesn't know whether the car is in park or in neutral so it doesn't allow it to start, your best bet at this point is to hook up a scanner and see if there is any codes

·
Registered
112 Posts
Check all of your fluid levels. Did they drain your junk? I can't believe it went to a quick lube.

·
Registered
725 Posts
If the switch is garbage, it doesn't know whether the car is in park or in neutral so it doesn't allow it to start, your best bet at this point is to hook up a scanner and see if there is any codes
I think this is good advice. From what I understand from reading posts on here about overheating, the BMW's, for the most part, are prone and very sensitive to overheating.

A worst case scenario just flashed in my head. If it got hot enough, it's also possible the engine seized.

When I attended SCCA events, like auto-x and "Production" class racing, I saw a guy cook a 3 series motor. My friends pit was next door. I heard the dude yell to all hell when he found out the engine seized up.

Hopefully, it's something relatively easy to fix. Just haven't heard of a BMW overheating and it being a minor fix. :confused: :dunno:

·
Registered
163 Posts
You would still get a clicking sound from the starter solenoid tryin to engage the starter....even with a siezed engine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check all of your fluid levels. Did they drain your junk? I can't believe it went to a quick lube.
Oil level is good. When it overheated, the radiator boiled over but I have since replaced the fluids. I wouldn't think it would have a "low level"switch on the radiator but that's almost what this looks like.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You would still get a clicking sound from the starter solenoid tryin to engage the starter....even with a siezed engine.

Yeah, no sounds what so ever. I'm going to attempt to find this transmission switch today but I have no idea where to look.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Haven't been there, but usually the neutral safety switches work off the shift linkage. That's where I'd start looking anyway.

Another thing would be to check the voltage to the starter. I'd try and jump the solenoid and see if it will turn over, this would bypass all the safety switches and sensors.

Jim

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
The switch get's worn in the P position. When it is at fault, it's very common that the car will start in N position.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I got my oil changed at a Quick Lube this Monday. By Tuesday my power steering was moaning and the brakes were mushy. On Wednesday, the engine overheated
These are 4 independent systems. I totally don't get it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts