BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.First post.Hope someone can help.Big problems with my 99 540 auto.Still in great condition even after 120k.Problems started when the digital temp gauge started playing up,then ABS light remained on followed by TC light.Then a week ago on my way back from work the car just died on me.No power steering or anything.I just coasted into the side.I waited a few minutes,managed to restart the car,only got a few hundred metres...same again.I managed to make it home eventually.Left the car overnight but in the morning no start.Has not started since.
Have checked battery and belts,plugs etc.They seem fine.Had a mechanic do a diagnostic but nothing came up
Anyone any ideas???

·
Registered
15,902 Posts
Turn on the right side visor light. If that has an affect, the ignition switch is bad.

Have you measured the battery voltage? S/b 12.5 min after setting overnight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
still dead

Tried the visor light.Its working perfectly,no effect while trying to start.All lights,horn etc still working ok.Battery level ok.
I forgot to mention the speedo and mpg gauge had also been playing up prior to the dying incident.
Am only getting a whining noise now when trying to start up.
I actually had the ignition switch changed last year.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
How did you check the battery? It still sounds like a battery issue...
What do you mean by digital temp gauge? The temp gauge on the OBC? Or you unlocked the OBC and checked the temperature?
Also, if you had a CEL and a code (P0345) it could be the cam position sensor.
These are 2 classic no start symptoms: battery that holds no load or bad CPS.
Could be something totally different also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there.Thanks for replying.
I checked the battery with a voltmeter.It stood up to all the tests advised here on the forum.
It was the temp gauge on the OBC.It was giving crazy readings.
There was never any CEL warning or codes displayed.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
I can't tell what caused the engine to stop so I'd start simple:
- DIY how to test a BMW E39 battery & alternator

I'm not sure what a "digital temperature gauge" is, but, if your cooling system is acting up, you'll need to replace ALL the parts:
- Complete cooling system overhaul recommended parts list (1)

We can tackle the ABS & TC light later (I wasn't aware of a TC light but I'll trust you on that as it seems that might be a secondary indication anyway).

If the mechanic did a diagnostic and nothing came up ... how does that explain the fact the ABS and "TC" lights were on? Or that the engine just died? Doesn't sound right. The mechanic should have seen 'something' indicating a problem.

Is the car running find now?

·
25,199 Posts
I forgot to mention the speedo and mpg gauge had also been playing up prior to the dying incident.
Often that's a wheel speed sensor or ABS issue (you did say your ABS light was lit, right?) ... but even so, it wouldn't kill the engine.

Am only getting a whining noise now when trying to start up.
From that, I presume the engine is not starting, right?

If not, I question the mechanic getting nothing because something isn't right.

You might want to try the misfire diagnostic tree.
- How to diagnose a typical BMW E39 engine misfire (1)

·
Registered
15,902 Posts
If the temp readout was doing funny things, it may be intermittent. The ECU may get confused by erratic temp readings, and refuse to start the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I will have to get a new diagnostic done as obviously something should have shown up in the first one.
Seems like a few sensors may have packed in.I hope thats the problem
I will update further developements.Cheers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just as a follow up to something I read on the forum,had a compression test done .Showed p.s.i. of 70 as opposed to the recommended 200 plus.
I dont know if this is solely because the engine has been sitting idle for a month now or is it indicative of something more sinister.
Still not showing anything on the diagnostic front.:mad:

·
25,199 Posts
Showed p.s.i. of 70 as opposed to the recommended 200 plus
Sure doesn't sound good as an indicator of engine health.

You might want to run one of the four or five engine-health diagnostic tests:
- Combined advice for major decisions when a cooling system overheating caused suspected blown head gaskets, cracked heads, a warped block, cam seizures, contaminated bearings, coolant hydrolock, or piston, ring, and valve damage (0) (1) (2) (3) & advice given to people faced with similar blown engine problems (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.