BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just over a year ago I bought my first BMW, a 2001 740iL with no service history, a long list of problems, and 207k kms on the odometer. 40k km later I've certainly had to put money into the car, but overall it's been a fantastic car. I put together a video going over all the repairs and maintenance I've had to do, hopefully it helps to give some potential E38 owners an idea of what could be their cost of ownership.

Thanks for watching!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Nice ride! Great video.

I dont understand why the sale price was so high? With 100-150k miles (not km) I can get one in the states, in relatively good condition for half the price. I paid 2200 for mine with 164,000 miles on the odometer (exterior 9/10, interior 8/10, mechanical 8/10).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice ride! Great video.

I dont understand why the sale price was so high? With 100-150k miles (not km) I can get one in the states, in relatively good condition for half the price. I paid 2200 for mine with 164,000 miles on the odometer (exterior 9/10, interior 8/10, mechanical 8/10).
There's more to choose from down there. I had been following E38 listings for about 6 months prior to buying mine. The average price was around $6k for a long wheelbase. In fact the one I really wanted to buy was a 2000 740iL with individual option, it needed a bit of work but was listed for around the same price as what I paid for mine. Unfortunately when it finally came time for me to make my purchase there was only one long wheelbase left for sale in Southern Ontario that wasn't a parts car. I was eager to buy and didn't want to wait any longer so I pulled the trigger. So far I think it's been a pretty good decision based on what I've had to do.

The average list price now for an E38 in this area is down to about $4,500 with 750iLs up in the $7k range. A lot of them that I look at online here are rough, but like our housing market people keep inflating prices.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts