BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i was going home for lunch today around 11:30am and was getting off the freeway at my exit. Of the two left turn lanes at the end of the off-ramp, i was in the right lane and a Ford Expedition was in the left lane; we were both stopped at the red light.

Light turns green, we both start to go however the SUV stops. I didn't know why he did that so i kept going. As soon as i turn my head...SMACK!!!

I got hit by an old Russian lady in a Ford Contour who ran a red light. She impacted at the driver side rear door. The driver side airbags deploy and i come to a stop in the middle of the intersection turned at an angle towards the off-ramp. Side windows shattered. (No digital camera at the time, but i hope to get pics online eventually.)

The driver side door was jammed shut, the only thing i could think of was to get out of the car because it might catch on fire (I dont' know why, but that's the first thing i thought of). I climbed over the shifter and got out throught the passenger door.

No scratches on me whatsoever (THANK GOD!!!). Four witnesses (including the driver of the Expedition, who really had nothing to do with it other than having an oversized truck) gave their accounts to the police who all said that she ran the red light and was at fault.

Damage to my car: extensive, with the left rear wheel angled inward (suspension damage). I've only had my car since Oct 01. Not sure if they'll total it, but i'm going to lobby for that. As much as i love my car, i don't think it'll be the same.

Anyway, we'll see about that next week, but the most important thing is that i'm ok (until tomorrow when i anticipate being really sore).

Lesson Learned: Think twice about running yellow lights cause who knows what could happen. Also, tell your family and loved ones you love them. Maybe i'm getting mellow-dramatic, but this could have been a whole lot worse for me. It's just now starting to hit me.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Hey 325iN2it,

Glad to hear you're ok. Sorry about the car. Hopefully your insurance will get you a brand new one.

I saw a crash on my way home and was thinking about the same thing. I mean, I didn't see anobody seriously injured at the crash scene, but it does make you think that one day you may go to work in the morning, but not return at night... Scary when you look at it that way...

Once again, I'm glad you're ok! :thumb:

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Bad News!

Sorry to hear about that!

I had a somewhat similar incident last Nov. I was hit by a motorcycle running the red light (at about 50 mph)! I'll skip the personal injury horror story.

My car sustained pretty good damage to the front and they did total my car (a 95 E36 M3). It sounds like your car has sustained as much or more damage. The parts costs can mount up quickly and I'm with you - the car will never be the same - so hopefully they'll do the total thing for you. But watch out, I really had to haggle with the insurance over the value of my car. I think they throw out a low number to see if the person will go for it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
325iN2it said:
Lesson Learned: Think twice about running yellow lights cause who knows what could happen. Also, tell your family and loved ones you love them. Maybe i'm getting mellow-dramatic, but this could have been a whole lot worse for me. It's just now starting to hit me.
My son got into an accident on the 19th. He was driving my Ford Truck (an '01 Ranger 4x4) as I had happened to use it and left it behind his car in the driveway. On his way home from his friends house, he was cliped in the passenger side rear fender while driving through an intersection in a resedential neighborhood, spun around about 90 degrees and then proceeded to roll over twice. The truck is destroyed. The entire roof caved in, moreso on the passenger side. The police said had he had a passenger with him, they would have sustained massive head trauma and most likely died. Had my son not had his seatbelt on he would have been thrown from the truck and severly injured or possibly worse. I pray every day that he had his seatbelt on, that he had no one with him, and that the truck rolled in the direction it did and not the opposite way, which would have caused his side to cave in. The insurance will cover the damages to the truck, but no price could return the well-being and safety of my family.

Needless to say it has been a very tough couple of weeks. A parent never wants to get a call from the emergency room when they are two hours away from home that their 17 year old child was rushed to the hospital after he rolled over several times in a car accident. That ride from New Hampshire back to RI was the worst I have ever been through.

You never know what can happen to each and everyone of us. Make the most of each day and be sure that you do all you can to give yourself an advantage should you become the victim of one of these tragic accidents.

Edit: I guess I left one crucial detail out. My son is ok! :thumb: In all the drama of the describing the accident, I forgot to say that he escaped with a sore neck and left shoulder and a couple of scratches. Absolutely amazing. When I saw the wreckage of the truck, I found it impossible to believe someone survived, needless to say walked away from it. Everyone that saw it, from the police to the tow company and the insurance company said the same thing. He was out of school for a few days and has just gone back to his part time job, and after some physical therapy I am sure he will be back to normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.