BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My Baby's First Bath

922 12
I went to a touchless carwash. Am I a sinner? The wheels are clean and I still have all of the skin on my knuckles.:p
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
we are not as fanatical here for the most part as other places (e.g. autopia). lots of ppl here will tell you to drive rather than wash. but i'd avoid automatic car wash places and pay services (unless they are recommended by someone you trust) because all that stuff is just bound to swirl your paint eventually. you dont have to be a detail freak to get the car clean "safely" but hey, it's car. and you buy cars to drive....
munk330ci said:
I went to a touchless carwash. Am I a sinner? The wheels are clean and I still have all of the skin on my knuckles.:p
I washed mine by hand last nite, 1 hr. +. Looks beautiful. Took my wifes to the touchless, not including the drive there and back (10 min. total), 15 minutes for a quick detail wipe down at home and touchup on the windows. Looks beautiful. Also, her bottom is nice and clean with the underbody flush.
so much of the stuff at touchless washes is so caustic. i'm sure there are ones that are fine, but all the ones i've been too are a little to harsh for my blood. i'd imagine repeated trips would harm my car's exterior in one way or other
Washed my CIC there all winter and it's still beautiful. Nothing a spring cleaning and polishing can't handle. Strong soap is better than sodium chloride and winter filth.
eugeneDC/TX said:
so much of the stuff at touchless washes is so caustic. i'm sure there are ones that are fine, but all the ones i've been too are a little to harsh for my blood. i'd imagine repeated trips would harm my car's exterior in one way or other
Because of drought restrictions I need to go to the DIY places just to get water. I take my own shampoo, etc. I just hope their recycled water is too caustic:eek: :(
johnlew said:


Washed my CIC there all winter and it's still beautiful. Nothing a spring cleaning and polishing can't handle. Strong soap is better than sodium chloride and winter filth.
YES! :p

(you could at least find one of those topless hand car washes!)
munk330ci said:
I went to a touchless carwash. Am I a sinner?
:yikes:

The problem with touchless car washes:

1. They don't clean the car very well.
2. The soap is too alkaline. Search the net for car wash soap and you'll find the stuff that people sell for use in automatic car washes is equivalent to dish soap.
3. They use grubby, cotton towels to dry it, and they never, ever, dry it properly, leaving water spots.
4. You don't get to know your car well (scratches, dents, the beautiful curves, etc.)

If you detail regularly (once every 3-4 months), it really only takes about an hour to wash a car.... Also, to extend hand-washes and reduce your time with a bucket:

A. Use a California Duster to remove dust and light debris from the paint.
B. Wash the windshield when it gets dirty. A clean windshield makes the car "feel" clean.
C. The Obvious: Garages, car covers, etc.

Yes, I know, OCD.

:)

--gary
munk330ci said:
I went to a touchless carwash. Am I a sinner? The wheels are clean and I still have all of the skin on my knuckles.:p
Re: Re: My Baby's First Bath

Nat Brown said:


:yikes:

The problem with touchless car washes:

1. They don't clean the car very well.
2. The soap is too alkaline. Search the net for car wash soap and you'll find the stuff that people sell for use in automatic car washes is equivalent to dish soap.
3. They use grubby, cotton towels to dry it, and they never, ever, dry it properly, leaving water spots.
4. You don't get to know your car well (scratches, dents, the beautiful curves, etc.)

If you detail regularly (once every 3-4 months), it really only takes about an hour to wash a car.... Also, to extend hand-washes and reduce your time with a bucket:

A. Use a California Duster to remove dust and light debris from the paint.
B. Wash the windshield when it gets dirty. A clean windshield makes the car "feel" clean.
C. The Obvious: Garages, car covers, etc.

Yes, I know, OCD.

:)

--gary
Yeah, so what do you do when it's -20 to 31 degrees out and you're covered in ice and salt?
Re: Re: Re: My Baby's First Bath

johnlew said:


Yeah, so what do you do when it's -20 to 31 degrees out and you're covered in ice and salt?
Move to California with my family?

Oh wait, already did that. ;)

--gary
Re: Re: Re: Re: My Baby's First Bath

Nat Brown said:


Move to California with my family?

Oh wait, already did that. ;)

--gary
Calif, no thanks. How's your daily commute? Mine's 34 min. round trip, 28 miles.

How about housing? Going to look at a beautiful 4700 sq ft home with finished lower level and 3 car garage on 2.2 acres. Under 1 mill. Schools? Earthquakes? Fog? Fruitcakes? Traffic? State taxes? Yeah, we have winter. It can be brutal, but beautiful too. And then there's fall, spring and summer :D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My Baby's First Bath

johnlew said:


Calif, no thanks. How's your daily commute? Mine's 34 min. round trip, 28 miles.

How about housing? Going to look at a beautiful 4700 sq ft home with finished lower level and 3 car garage on 2.2 acres. Under 1 mill. Schools? Earthquakes? Fog? Fruitcakes? Traffic? State taxes? Yeah, we have winter. It can be brutal, but beautiful too. And then there's fall, spring and summer :D

Yeah, what was I thinking.

:lmao:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My Baby's First Bath

Nat Brown said:


Yeah, what was I thinking.

:lmao:

Can't see the pic, but from the descrip. assume it's a beach scene. Y'know, for me, beaches aren't all they're cracked up to be. And the beach on Lake Michigan is 5 minutes from my house. Not to mention of course, all of the other lake homes in Wisc. But, this is what makes the world go 'round. Different strokes for different folks. It's great we all mostly like where we live. My cousin was just looking at a lovely 2000 sq. ft. home on a postage stamp lot in L.A. for 1 mill. :yikes:

I'll stick with mine. Hot tub on the left.



Oh, now the pic is coming thru. Yeah, beautiful. Similar scenery here on the lake, sans the mountains.

This is downtown on the lake. But north, homes on the lake are on similar bluffs. Erosion is a problem :tsk:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top