Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. My idrive told me to pull over last month, battery not charging. MY2016 M4 with CPO through 11/21.

The dealer replaced the alternator under CPO warranty and said it could still be a battery issue. Apparently the alternator was overcharging the battery. That was a month ago and had no issues until yesterday. Same pull over and battery not charging on I drive.

Dealer says I need a battery, $2500 plus tax.

They are trying to have BMW corporate review the situation last month with the over charging. With a little luck BMW will step up and replace my 4.5 year old battery as part of warranty (casualty of the alternator failing). Dealer mentioned that these batteries should last 8-10 years.

I really don't understand what the benefit really is for these cars having $2500 batteries. Yea, it is lighter. But spending $2500 every 4-5 years replacing them is absurd.

Anyways, I am venting a little.

Thanks,
CGS

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,234 Posts
Did the dealer type 'alt overcharging battery' on ANY work order or document? If so you have massively more leverage than the usual 'he said he said'.

Once BMWs offical representative (the dealer) documents that on a work order, it becomes much more difficult to ignore.

Hopefully your SA is going to bat for you (as opposed to just saying so but being a puss). If he gets it covered, buy a Visa gift card for $100, "thanks for your help". Always seems less crass than cash.

And yeah, its insane.

Someone needs to come up with an adapter module to allow a $200 AGM to be used.... ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. Paperwork says... operating voltage range too high, replaced alternator

1 - 3 of 3 Posts