BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Since the last iDrive 7 update 03/2021.50, the vehicle finder is not working on the My BMW app. It throws up the error: "We could not retrieve your vehicle location information right now, please try again later".
The finder does work on the old Connected app (which is going to be discontinued soon) and on the Connected Drive web portal. The error occurs on both my Android and my wife's iPhone.
Asked BMW Support but no solution yet...
Has anyone faced a similar problem, and managed to resolve it?
Thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
My experience is mixed and could be the age of the vehicle.

It works as advertised on my ‘21. That is all the features such as locate the vehicle, control messages come up quickly.

On my ‘15, it doesn’t respond as fast. It could be the car modems and software, perhaps.

Don’t forget it is going through a wireless carrier network as well as BMW servers somewhere.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I should have mentioned that it's a 2021 model, and that this issue has been going on for more than a week. It was working fine before the update.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Make sure your privacy/services settings are checked in your iDrive settings. They likely are fine since it works on the other app but worth a look.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked the privacy setting. Changed it from 'All vehicle services' to 'All services incl. analysis', and even rebooted iDrive for good measure. Does not solve the problem. I hope a future update will fix it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
since the new version July 1. ive noticed its not the same as the old. i am not a fan of this new version. i cant seem to be able to schedule my trip or share the trip like i did with the previous version. it hope these are just kinks that still need to be worked out with this new version of the connected app

·
Registered
688 Posts
And I am super confused as the "BMW Connected" app stopped working. It seems to want me to use "My BMW". I try to register, but it won't take my email. Ugh...

·
Registered
966 Posts
And I am super confused as the "BMW Connected" app stopped working. It seems to want me to use "My BMW". I try to register, but it won't take my email. Ugh...
BMW Connected ended July 1st. You shouldn't need to register to use the MyBMW App, just log in with your existing credentials.

·
Registered
688 Posts
BMW Connected ended July 1st. You shouldn't need to register to use the MyBMW App, just log in with your existing credentials.
Thanks, will try again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
Since the last iDrive 7 update 03/2021.50, the vehicle finder is not working on the My BMW app. It throws up the error: "We could not retrieve your vehicle location information right now, please try again later".
The finder does work on the old Connected app (which is going to be discontinued soon) and on the Connected Drive web portal. The error occurs on both my Android and my wife's iPhone.
Thanks

Are you using Android phone? Try this.

1. Logout of the My BMW App
2. Go to App setting and do a data clear
3. If your default browser is Chrome, change back to Samsung default browser
4. Relogin the My BMW App
5. This should work now and you can change back to Chrome again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you using Android phone? Try this.

1. Logout of the My BMW App
2. Go to App setting and do a data clear
3. If your default browser is Chrome, change back to Samsung default browser
4. Relogin the My BMW App
5. This should work now and you can change back to Chrome again.
Hi
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes I am using Android on Samsung.
I just tried these steps, but no luck :(
The same problem also occurs on my wife's iPhone

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi
Thanks
Its likely to be related to the App permissions.
Make sure that the MyBMW App permissions is set allowed Location Access. On your phone, Apps, permissions, location..there are 3 settings; Allow only while using the App, Ask every tine, or don't allow.
Set it to Allow only while using the App.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's not it either.. The app's location permission is set correctly.
Call BMW and ask them to check the Wifi on the car is set to. My dealer subscribe the car to "Fleet Wifi" . The BMW Rep has to reset the Wifi subscription to me so My BMW App can talk to the car.

Before the 3/2021.50 update, I have no issue either until after the update.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right, I've made my 3rd call to the local BMW help line, and suggested they do this. Fingers crossed the geniuses can fix it. 😐

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's not it either.. The app's location permission is set correctly.
One other thing Ive thought of; after any i-drive update, your should update the in car Apps and Services,
On the i-drive controller select Apps, Installed Apps, touch Option button, Update Apps and Services,
Worth a try..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One other thing Ive thought of; after any i-drive update, your should update the in car Apps and Services,

On the i-drive controller select Apps, Installed Apps, touch Option button, Update Apps and Services,

Worth a try..
Hmm I don't have that option on the 'installed apps' screen. Only two options - 'Help' and 'Turn off control display'.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmm I don't have that option on the 'installed apps' screen. Only two options - 'Help' and 'Turn off control display'.
Sorry I wasn't totally clear in my instructions...
Do it this way, select Apps, tilt controller to the left, and you should then see Installed Apps, BMW Store, and maybe Android Auto and Apple car play. With Installed Apps highlighted, then press the Option button, and a pop up will appear that has Update Apps and Services at the top and Help and Turnoff display below. Select Update Apps and Services and let it do it's stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry I wasn't totally clear in my instructions...
Do it this way, select Apps, tilt controller to the left, and you should then see Installed Apps, BMW Store, and maybe Android Auto and Apple car play. With Installed Apps highlighted, then press the Option button, and a pop up will appear that has Update Apps and Services at the top and Help and Turnoff display below. Select Update Apps and Services and let it do it's stuff.
Thanks, I found the option and selected it. Sadly, the problem is not solved.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts