BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this car as a hand me down from my parents. My first Question is what kinda of oil (exactly) should i use? Second my car wont start and I don't know why! Before it gave out it would shake a lot when idle. After the oil change it had trouble gaining speed, especially up hill. Any ideas of what the problem(s) might be?

·
Registered
887 Posts
I just got this car as a hand me down from my parents. My first Question is what kinda of oil (exactly) should i use? Second my car wont start and I don't know why! Before it gave out it would shake a lot when idle. After the oil change it had trouble gaining speed, especially up hill. Any ideas of what the problem(s) might be?
I would try the MAF, but that wouldnt lead to a no start

Then there's the fuel pump, is the car sparking? The fuel pump could be the case

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it sparks and it seems like its going to start but then it just dies. When i got the oil change last week, they looked it up and said that i should use Diesel 15 30. Was that a complete mistake ? Am i suppose to use the synthetic oil and not one for diesel engines as mine is not a diesel engine?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yes, it sparks and it seems like its going to start but then it just dies. When i got the oil change last week, they looked it up and said that i should use Diesel 15 30. Was that a complete mistake ? Am i suppose to use the synthetic oil and not one for diesel engines as mine is not a diesel engine?
Whaaaat?! What retards told you that, what type of BMW do you have? They didn't even sell diesels in the North American market. Bring the car back to them and demand they fix it because it is their fault for what ever has gone wrong with your car. What type of E34 do you have?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know I was thinking the same thing! I have a 1995 BMW 525i. So what should I do? Do you think that's what caused the shaking when idle? Will i have to replace a bunch of parts now or just change the oil?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I know I was thinking the same thing! I have a 1995 BMW 525i. So what should I do? Do you think that's what caused the shaking when idle? Will i have to replace a bunch of parts now or just change the oil?
First off just flush it with regular oil then depends if your car has been using sythetic oil in the past . Cause if it didn't use synthetic oil in the past you might create oil leaks , synthetic oil has pretty strong detergents and might dislodge some build up in your engine . I have used synthetic oil ( mobil 1 / 5w30 ) since my father bought the car New in 95 and when I bought it from him in 98 to this day use synthetic . Fuel filter i would replace too / air filter and plugs . But surely your parents would know what kind of maintenance they have done in the past ... This would be your best bet first ASK THEM WHAT THE HISTORY AND RECORDS OF THE CAR IS ... at least you will have a starting point and avoid replacing unncessary parts . But the oil since its cheap I would flush it then put new oil and filter first !
Noel :thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay I will ask them and see what they say. So if they haven't been using synthetic oil i shouldn't start ? If so what kind of oil should i use? I'm sorry for the following question but I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to cars and such. When you say flush, you mean I should get rid of all the oil thats in it now right ? Should i replace the filter even if i got a new one when i got the oil change last Thursday?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Okay I will ask them and see what they say. So if they haven't been using synthetic oil i shouldn't start ? If so what kind of oil should i use? I'm sorry for the following question but I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to cars and such. When you say flush, you mean I should get rid of all the oil thats in it now right ? Should i replace the filter even if i got a new one when i got the oil change last Thursday?
I have always been a believer of MOBIL 1 synthetic , its been great for all our cars over the years (25yrs) it has never broken down for me . I use 5w30 weight oil 12 months out of the year ( depending on weather this oil weight is acceptible to be used all year long here in Missouri )but i don't know texas weather . Like i said ask your parents what oil they have used due to apparently they have been using the right oil or else the car engine would have not lasted for 16yrs lol . change the oil and filter , fuel filter and air filter ! Noel

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see, well my dad say that they did not used synthetic the whole time they had it. They used 20w 50 as recommended by BMW. East Texas weather doesn't usually go below 20 degrees. My dad's going to work on it today. I Hope he can get it to run again!! =\

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great News! My car has been fixed and it runs great ! Idk what was wrong exactly because my dad took it to the shop but it works ! =)

·
BMW CCA Memeber #445389
3,287 Posts
Please let us know what was wrong with it when you find out. Congrats on getting the car back !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts