BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm Nagendra from Vancouver, Canada.

I bought my first BMW X1 2012 xdrive28i 2 weeks back and I was really happy with the purchase! But it all changed on a pleasant Friday morning at 8:03am on a flyover with rush hour traffic!

Car Details:

BMW X1 2012 xdrive28i with 92,938 Kms

These are series of events that happened before the car got stalled.

- There was slow traffic due to the rush hour in the morning, all of a sudden my BMW engine started rattling for seconds and then stopped abruptly on the bridge.

- When this happened, the car went into neutral mode and all the icons on the dashboard.
Noticeable icons were 'Service - Red Car with text" and "Engine Malfunction"

- Not having any idea of what's happening with the car, I stopped the car and tried starting it but it didn't work. After few tries the car went into "Parking" mode with all the error icons and icons on the dashboard.

- It was embarrassing to have my car not working on a bridge with lot of traffic.

- Car was towed and taken back to the dealer, after few hours of waiting the mechanics at the dealer couldn't fix the issue so they had to send my car to the BMW service center to have it fixed/repaired. (They said it might take 1 week to 10 days to have it fixed!)

Now i'm worried about driving my car after getting it fixed, because what if the car gets stalled while i'm on the road at 50kmp or more.

Did this happen to anyone on the Bimmerfest? what might be the problem that's causing this issue with my BMW?

Any informative answers would help me in understanding the issue that my BMW is going through. :cry:

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
well the car is over 90,000km, did you check the service records thoroughly ?

let BMW or independent bmw to do a scan, they should be able to fix it

First production batch (2012) of 28i tend to suffer Injector Failures (328i people report the same issues)

·
Northern BMW Fan
595 Posts
In near Vancouver and have a Carly adapter to read ECU codes if you need - would be the same info as what the dealer has.

Which dealer are you working with?

Make sure to get a full report of what the issue is and put the details up on here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the car is over 90,000km, did you check the service records thoroughly ?

let BMW or independent bmw to do a scan, they should be able to fix it

First production batch (2012) of 28i tend to suffer Injector Failures (328i people report the same issues)
Thanks for the reply SilverX3.

Do you know how widespread this issue is? The car is still under the 30 days warranty
from the dealer.

Now i'm worried about driving the car. I'm reconsidering buying a new car or a car with less Km's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In near Vancouver and have a Carly adapter to read ECU codes if you need - would be the same info as what the dealer has.

Which dealer are you working with?

Make sure to get a full report of what the issue is and put the details up on here.
Thanks for the reply! vstolpner, good to know that there are people from Vancouver :)

- I bought the car from Basant Motors in Surrey (I live in Richmond). I dropped my car at the dealership on Friday. I don't think i will have access to my car as they said they will be sending the car to the BMW service center.

- I will have more details from the dealer tomorrow in the morning, Once I have them I will update them on this thread. I will also ask the dealer to share the Carproff documents. (I did check the documents before buying the car).

·
Northern BMW Fan
595 Posts
I got a 13 X1 CPO last year so I had almost 4 years warranty on it still (6yrs/160,000km). So consider returning your current one and getting that.

The way I see it, CPO warranty is up to the dealer, meaning they'll only warranty it if the mechanics say that it's in good condition. So CPO is more like a stamp of approval that says they stand behind the car.

PM me if you need to get your car scanned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a 13 X1 CPO last year so I had almost 4 years warranty on it still (6yrs/160,000km). So consider returning your current one and getting that.

The way I see it, CPO warranty is up to the dealer, meaning they'll only warranty it if the mechanics say that it's in good condition. So CPO is more like a stamp of approval that says they stand behind the car.

PM me if you need to get your car scanned.
- When I bought the car the dealer extend my car warranty till 2018/08 (Unlimited Kms).

- If i'm returning the car how does it effect with my car loan and should i buy a CPO from authorised BMW dealer like Brian Jessel BMW?

·
Northern BMW Fan
595 Posts
If you have 2 years warranty then that's fine, just make sure it covers all the important parts, so you won't be stuck with an expensive repair bill because the warranty didn't cover it.

CPO is typically only done at BMW dealerships, though I would stay far far away from Brian Jessel. I've caught the sales staff flat out lying to me on more than one occasion and have heard some horror stories from people who bought there.

I bought mine at The BMW Store in Kitsilano and was very happy with all the staff there. (If you decide, PM me for the sales associate name)
Can also recommend Langley BMW as they have been good as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have 2 years warranty then that's fine, just make sure it covers all the important parts, so you won't be stuck with an expensive repair bill because the warranty didn't cover it.

CPO is typically only done at BMW dealerships, though I would stay far far away from Brian Jessel. I've caught the sales staff flat out lying to me on more than one occasion and have heard some horror stories from people who bought there.

I bought mine at The BMW Store in Kitsilano and was very happy with all the staff there. (If you decide, PM me for the sales associate name)
Can also recommend Langley BMW as they have been good as well.
- Dealer extended the plan using "Adavantage Plus" plan
- This plan includes unlimited Kms
- Seals & Gaskets
- High Tech Parts
- Zero Deductible
- $5,000 per claim limit

- I will PM you for the contact details for BMW Kitsilano.

Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
View attachment 575908

Here is what I found under "High Tech Parts"

- Car is under 30 days Dealership warranty, as per the warranty if anything happens to the vehicle (engine etc.,) dealer is responsible for any expenses.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Thanks for the reply SilverX3.

Do you know how widespread this issue is? The car is still under the 30 days warranty
from the dealer.

Now i'm worried about driving the car. I'm reconsidering buying a new car or a car with less Km's.
Most of 28i in 2012 in Australia have had injectors recalled / replaced

have the car checked my Indep. if injectors faulty have them replaced

1 - 13 of 13 Posts