BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...an 02 Audi A4 1.8T CVT. I didn't think i'd want an auto trans, but after test driving the CVT, it's pretty damn sweet...even better in manual mode with steering wheel controls. I also like all the small things like the compartments, security system (no extra cost), 6 disc CD in dash changer, trunk bag holders, etc...

I also like the exterior a whole lot along with the crisp interior. Do i like it more than my e46 325i? No. Did i want to spend $30-34k to replace it with a comparably equipped CPO car? No. I think it was time for me to go back to the Audi family (my own family has had about 10 trouble-free VW/Audi's).

Unfortunately, i've had nothing but bad luck with my BMW: 2 months old, rims stolen; 6 months, totalled. It's not the car's fault though. Change is good. I'm sure i'll keep lurking here. I don't like the Audi boards that much.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
went to the dark side ? :D just kidding.

Congrats on your new car and happy motoring.

Drive safe.

G

·
nate328Ci said:
Why does a CDV transmission have shift buttons?
Because 'Murkins are stupid. Audi concluded that we'd be confused with the behavior of a CVT (not CDV - that's a clutch delay valve) and programmed in auto-tranny-like behavior.

·
Revelation 10:7
1,012 Posts
nate328Ci said:
Why does a CDV transmission have shift buttons?
It is not CDV, iti s CVT. From Audi's site:

"Whether mated to a five-speed manual or a versatile Tiptronic® automatic, the A4 1.8 T with quattro® goes about its business with uncommon precision. Our new multitronic™ continuously variable transmission (CVT) is available with FrontTrak® front-wheel drive."

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
GSR13 said:

It is not CDV, iti s CVT. From Audi's site:

"Whether mated to a five-speed manual or a versatile Tiptronic® automatic, the A4 1.8 T with quattro® goes about its business with uncommon precision. Our new multitronic™ continuously variable transmission (CVT) is available with FrontTrak® front-wheel drive."
sorry, that's what I meant :p

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Congrats! :thumb: I like Audi's very much. I had a 98 A4 1.8T Tip with quattro that I kept for 40 months! Trouble-free... :thumb:

I'm not trying to make you change your mind (ok, maybe a little :angel: ), but you sounded a lot like me when I dumped my 95 325is for the 98 A4... I "thought" I would get used to the Tip gearbox and that it was the best thing since sliced bread... Well, guess what? I found myself driving the 98 'Vette (6-speed) I also had back then more often than ever...

Anyway, congrats again. I'm sure you won't regret the A4 ownership experience. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ALEX325i said:
I'm not trying to make you change your mind (ok, maybe a little :angel: ), but you sounded a lot like me when I dumped my 95 325is for the 98 A4... I "thought" I would get used to the Tip gearbox and that it was the best thing since sliced bread...
The funny thing is that i too had a 98 A4 Tip, which i traded in on my 325 in October. You'd think i'm repeating some dubious history, but i don't think so. :eek: The CVT is totally different from Tip. After getting over the initial lag, which i'll admit is a bit lame, it's a damn nice trans. Either letting it do it's own thing or shifting on my own with steering wheel controls for up/down shift.

If i regret anything, it's not going after the 01 Volvo S60 T-5 manual. That car was loaded with everything. But a) it was black (a hard color for me to keep clean) and i didn't want to repeat with another dark color; and b) Volvo's aren't as much fun as BMW or Audi's.

I guess we'll see. Since i've been out here in SD, i haven't held onto a car for more than 9 months.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
I don't mind hearing about people who leave BMW for Audi. This is good for the BMW owners! BMW will see the trend and IMPROVE their products in the future. Competition between manufacturers is wonderful for enthusiasts.

...Just don't ever leave BMW for Buick. BMW will be happy you left!

I test-drove the Audi CVT and was VERY impressed with the transmission. It is a great AUTOMATIC, but is no SMG. The turbo engine does very well with that tranny.

Enjoy the A4, and congrats!

P.S. - You will miss your BMW, I often do.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Condolences and congrats at the same time. Too bad you had such sihtty luck with the Bimmer. I am the bizarro YOU. Had a '97 328is, traded it for a 2000 A4 1.8T quattro, and just sold that about six months ago for my current ride - 2002 330ci. My A4 wasn't bad at all; in fact I had much fun in the canyons with it after some minor tuning. I had some issues with pinging after chipping, but no major complaints. Quattro was fun in the wet. But I yearned for the styling, sweet engine, and "feel" of my old 3, so I sold the Audi after just under 2 years.

Sometimes I miss her...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, this is going to sound strange, but...

After one day with my A4, which was a nice car...i did the unthinkable. The other car on my list to replace my BMW was an 01 Volvo S60 T5. Well, as i'm sure you may know the Audi was pretty much a stripper model (only with sport, premium which isnt' like BMW premium, and sunroof).

The Volvo has every option available except integrated phone. I wont' go into details cause you can look it up. 247-hp through a 5 spd (yes, a Volvo manual) even though it's FWD is incredible.

I had to eat a good deal of $$, but with a recent 0% interest credit card i recieved it wont' be so bad. So yes, now i have a black on black 2001 Volvo S60 T5-manual with 3k miles.

Not the best financial decision i've made, but i'm very happy with my car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
hardcore!

I think the S60 is a great looking car. Have fun with it, and I'm glad you had the $$$ to get what you want.

Did you sell the A4 back to the dealer?

I had a similar "oh no!" moment with my new 330i on the first day, when I thought the tight fit on my right leg was going to drive me crazy. At one point I was going to trade it for a Subaru Impreza WRX! Anyway, I've calmed down since then :)

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alan F said:
Ok, I'm a little confused . . . you traded in a 1 day old 2002 A4 for a 2001 Volvo ??

Were either if these cars used or were they both brand new ?
Timeline
Monday, June 10, 7:00pm: Closed on deal for 2002 Audi A4 1.8T CVT, brand new car, 154 miles on odometer.
Tuesday, June 11: Regretsville. I start thinking about all the options the Volvo has and the Audi didn't, and just how much i wanted all of the luxuries.
June 11, 7:30pm: Closed on deal for CPO 2001 Volvo S60 T5, 3000 miles on odometer.

Yes, i took a hit and lost value trading the Audi in, of course. For some reason, i did not think that manual, non-heated, leatherette seats, stock stereo, etc was that much of a big deal, which is why i originally made the deal on the Audi. But then i realized just how 'weak' relatively speaking 170-hp and the stock stereo (a good one is important to me) really are.

Yes, i should have thought about the decision a bit longer, but i didn't. I'm much happier with the Volvo even though I've only had the car for one day. Hopefully i can hang on to this one a bit longer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts