BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· In my own cars again
1,406 Posts
Dude - Out-effing-standing job, well written and documented, another home run. Wiki-fy that beeyotch!

(and since I will be doing this some time in the next ~6 months, THANKS!

· In my own cars again
1,406 Posts
This DIY again proved priceless. Many thanks to Starless and LBert for the time they took in documenting this procedure. Hole. E. SH!T.

The big hose clamp on the lower intake boot is someone's cruel joke, and the extra padding on the cold-kit didn't help with fitment of any of the hoses or the separator itself. Hopefully it will help with longevity (though with 99.5K miles on the original, I'm not upset).

I had a horrible time getting the dipstick to re-seat properly. Clean hole, clean Oring, lube hole, lube Oring, try to insert, take it out, repeat. It's in there and it's not leaking, eventually tried the original Oring and got it further into the hole, practically hanging on the thing from underneath. THAT'S supposed to be one of the easy tasks on this job. Terribly tedious job overall, lots of skinned and bruised knuckles, but it gave the chance to clean the MAF, throttle body and ICV, so there's a silver lining.

This type of task makes me think three things:

1) I'm glad I didn't pay someone else for the labor, no matter how much of a beeyotch the job was.
2) I'm glad I did it myself, because there are far too many little corners that might have been cut, mis-routed wires and hoses, etc. I know it's back together as it was from the factory, in every way.
and 3) I'm glad I don't do this for a living.

VCG and Vanos seals next weekend should occur right at the 100K mark. Timely!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.