BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
Excellent job, Alex....props to you, mang !

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
A small amount of " BMW Mayo" under the filler cap & dipstick is normal....these are the highest points in the system, where oil residue mixes with condensation and forms the mayo.
Any BMW that uses a quart of oil in 6,000 miles cannot be criticized....that`s pretty damn good, all things considered....

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
Ok I did this mod 2 days ago I replaced the valve cover gasket while I was at it. The car is running great and i took it on a drive today 100 miles or so half interstate and half open hilly country roads. Now I am getting codes p0174 and p0171 First thing I thought is vac leak so I went straight to my brothers car lot and preformed a smoke test . I could not find any leaks. I did not have these codes before and I cant find a leak and my MPGs are better than ever. I averaged 31.7mpg on my trip today which is up from 28 on average. Im stumped any ideas
This video might help (NWS language). The guy is a knuckledragger (drinking PBR, no less :rofl: ), but he seems to get the job done....

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
I managed to replace my Oil separator on Sunday and I like to add a few comments:
1. No need to remove oil dipstick.
If you didn`t remove the dipstick tube from the block, and clean it out thoroughly, you missed a critical step in the job....

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
Thanks for the writeup, very useful. My 328i needs this work done, but It will have to wait until next spring, as I can't begin to imagine how tough this would be in cold weather.
The danger for you in The Great White North is that the CVV is most likely to fail in cold weather, with hydrolocking being a possible result. Needless to say, you don`t want this to happen....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.