BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My CVV (Oil Separator) DIY Journey in Pictures

337043 232
This is the journey I would not take again. Major PITA. Oil separator is a "tricky sucker" like somebody commented. But I hope the pictures of every step of the way will make this diy a little easier for somebody else. I followed these 2 wonderful DIYs that contain everything you need to know:

The one by Lbert - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323335&highlight=lbert+oil+separator

And the one by djmcmath - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=536123&highlight=

I took more pictures and included my comments making it a separate DIY. Enjoy!

21 - 40 of 233 Posts
While I can't confirm that they are similar, I did my CCV for the same reason, those plastic tubes are very brittle later after a few miles... Because it broke I learned all about the CCV and in the process found that the tube that attaches to the dipstick was completely clogged in the metal portion of the dipstick.
Great job on the DIY Alex...I just did this yesterday and you're DIY was key.

I would like to point out one observation though. On re-installation, I found it easier to install hose #2 first while in place in the car as this hose must be rotated.

This allowed me to connect all hoses within 10 minutes!

Let me point out that I have a MY 2000 323i with an M52 so install may be a little different.

Again, thanks for the DIY, Great Job!:thumbup:
You are very welcome. Glad everything worked out for you. As for what hose to connect first, it's whatever works better for you. I tried hose 2 first and had no luck, but I'm glad it took you 10minutes, it took me much longer :) :thumbup:
Great job on the DIY Alex...I just did this yesterday and you're DIY was key.

I would like to point out one observation though. On re-installation, I found it easier to install hose #2 first while in place in the car as this hose must be rotated.

This allowed me to connect all hoses within 10 minutes!

Let me point out that I have a MY 2000 323i with an M52 so install may be a little different.

Again, thanks for the DIY, Great Job!:thumbup:
What failure caused you to do this job?
I'm grateful for all the great pics. I'm fortunate that I have a second bimmer to drive, so when I get frustrated I can just walk away and return the next day, fresh. I broke the vanos down into four days, and it went quite well. But with the vanos there wasn't any really tight spots. Everything is easily accessable. From what I've read this cvv is going to be a bear.:tsk:
I replaced mine preventetively before it started leaking oil (one of the symptoms). Leaking unit can be the cause of increased oil consumption.
In my case I started using oil more frequently and also had the "walrus sound". I can tell a difference in performance from the replacement.:thumbup:
Great DIY. I'm replacing mine when it gets warmer. Did you get all the parts from Plaza? I live here in MO. I know they give you a CCA discount.
I replaced mine preventetively before it started leaking oil (one of the symptoms). Leaking unit can be the cause of increased oil consumption.
Oh, no. Plaza is good (they say) for service, but it's the most expensive dealership in town too...I live 5 minutes from Plaza and buy parts there only in a pinch.

I bought mine from Tisher (www.getbmwparts.com) - $150 for a complete set including all hoses
Great DIY. I'm replacing mine when it gets warmer. Did you get all the parts from Plaza? I live here in MO. I know they give you a CCA discount.
I had the occasional "Dead Frog" groan and over 100k miles so I bought the parts last month. Today I had my Indy shop (Valley Motorwerks in the Sacramento area) install the new parts for only 2.1 labor hours. A good deal if you ask me considering I was expecting over 4 hrs based on other's estimates.
Yeah I've gotten parts from Tischer and they are cheaper. I've gotten parts from Plaza and they matched the parts from Tischer. Now I dont know if it's just me because I get parts there all the time. But they are closer and I dont have to wait for shipping. But then again some of the parts from Tischer has free shipping. I'm going to end up doing this DIY but it's going to have to wait till it gets warmer.
Oh, no. Plaza is good (they say) for service, but it's the most expensive dealership in town too...I live 5 minutes from Plaza and buy parts there only in a pinch.

I bought mine from Tisher (www.getbmwparts.com) - $150 for a complete set including all hoses
I never noticed others from StL here. Good too see people from back home. I grew up in Arnold. I miss the weather. (mostly the storms, these people up here don't know what a thunderstorm is, a flash of lightning makes it a storm, HA!)
When you pulled out your DISA, I noticed the inside is clean, there are no tiny white granules (like sand). When I did this CVV job, I have to extract and clean as far as I can reach inside. I think it is because I have a K&N filter which I tossed out and went back to OEM. Remarkable write up!
You are very welcome. Glad everything worked out for you. As for what hose to connect first, it's whatever works better for you. I tried hose 2 first and had no luck, but I'm glad it took you 10minutes, it took me much longer :) :thumbup:
I have read some really great DIY instructions but I have to say this...man, this is the best one I have read and the pics are outstanding...Move to the head of the class!!!
CVV part #

I went to the Tisher site and couldn't locate the CVV. I put CVV and then oil separator in the search engine and turned up no hits. How do I locate the CVV?:dunno:
Thanks
11617501566 PCV Valve; Pressure Regulating Valve/Oil Separator
Of course that is for my 02 325i off AutohausAZ... $54
Here is the link:

http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...fo&PartID=789937&siteid=214672&catalogid=4462
I went to the Tisher site and couldn't locate the CVV. I put CVV and then oil separator in the search engine and turned up no hits. How do I locate the CVV?:dunno:
Thanks
Awesome DIY :thumbup:. I love how the instructions are integrated into the pics.
This was excellent. I took my time and it went very smooth.
Thank you!!
21 - 40 of 233 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.