BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My CVV (Oil Separator) DIY Journey in Pictures

337043 232
This is the journey I would not take again. Major PITA. Oil separator is a "tricky sucker" like somebody commented. But I hope the pictures of every step of the way will make this diy a little easier for somebody else. I followed these 2 wonderful DIYs that contain everything you need to know:

The one by Lbert - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323335&highlight=lbert+oil+separator

And the one by djmcmath - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=536123&highlight=

I took more pictures and included my comments making it a separate DIY. Enjoy!

41 - 60 of 233 Posts
Very nice job! Im going to start my maintenance when spring rolls around like flushing all the fluids, my own inspection 1 and 2 and a clutch (which I am going to try a write up on). Im at 113k and clutch has never been changed.
Excellent DIY, but I am afraid that it's too complicated for me to do it myself. :(

I am pretty sure I will break something in the process or forget to put things back in the right order. LOL.

I will take my car to my indy and pay him to get it done if mine is indeed broken. Thanks for the excellent effort though.
Alex, so the needed parts are the CVV, vent pipe, connecting line, vent hose, the return pipe and the dipstick housing, right? Do I need any o-rings, etc?
Jake, if you buy the kit from Tisher it will contain everything you need ($150) and it's cheaper then buying parts separetely. The only additional thing I bought was the lower intake boot, PN 13541435627. You can also buy a throttle housing gasket in addition, PN 11611716174. I just reused mine.

If you do decide to buy everything separately this is the parts list from Lbert's diy:

These are included in Tisher's kit:

11617501566 Oil Separator
11611432559 Oil Separator Hose to Valve Cover
11157532629 Oil Separator Oil Dip Stick hose
11617504535 Oil Separator Connecting Hose
11617504536 Return Pipe from Connecting Hose
11431740045 O-Ring Oil Dip Stick Tube to Oil Pan

Additional:
11611716174 Throttle Housing Gasket
13541435627 Air Intake Boot; Lower

Good luck!
Alex, so the needed parts are the CVV, vent pipe, connecting line, vent hose, the return pipe and the dipstick housing, right? Do I need any o-rings, etc?
Pressure Regulating Valve/CCV?

Would a gunky buildup in the engine oil filler neck and dip stick be indicitive of a problem with this part? Changed oil (fully synthetic Mobil 1) less than 6K ago and began to get engine oil level notices and some noticeable power loss. Tried whiping the **** out and running 1 quart of new oil and oil treatment bottle through and 1 week later crap is back and only a matter of time before back to low. See no obvious leaks or anything.
A small amount of " BMW Mayo" under the filler cap & dipstick is normal....these are the highest points in the system, where oil residue mixes with condensation and forms the mayo.
Any BMW that uses a quart of oil in 6,000 miles cannot be criticized....that`s pretty damn good, all things considered....
PCV System

Okay, I will keep that in mind. Any credibility to the Positive Crankcase Ventilation System being recommended to replace every 30-30k miles, part is supposedly about $60. My X5 is close to 90k and it has never been replaced. Is this related to the milky white or am I getting distracted by information overload on the net?
Alright so is Tisher a user on Bimmerfest or a parts supplier? I am having a hell of a time getting all the parts and I refuse to go to the dealer so a kit is very attractive right now, does this include everything for the CCV as well as the Oil separator system?
Jake, if you buy the kit from Tisher it will contain everything you need ($150) and it's cheaper then buying parts separetely. The only additional thing I bought was the lower intake boot, PN 13541435627. You can also buy a throttle housing gasket in addition, PN 11611716174. I just reused mine.

If you do decide to buy everything separately this is the parts list from Lbert's diy:

These are included in Tisher's kit:

11617501566 Oil Separator
11611432559 Oil Separator Hose to Valve Cover
11157532629 Oil Separator Oil Dip Stick hose
11617504535 Oil Separator Connecting Hose
11617504536 Return Pipe from Connecting Hose
11431740045 O-Ring Oil Dip Stick Tube to Oil Pan

Additional:
11611716174 Throttle Housing Gasket
13541435627 Air Intake Boot; Lower

Good luck!
Tisher is here:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=789937&siteid=214672&catalogid=4462

Yes, the kit will include everything you need.
Alright so is Tisher a user on Bimmerfest or a parts supplier? I am having a hell of a time getting all the parts and I refuse to go to the dealer so a kit is very attractive right now, does this include everything for the CCV as well as the Oil separator system?
Tackled this job over the weekend. I bought the kit from Tisher back in December and was hoping to get this one once the warmer weather got here...but then I noticed an oil leak from the valve cover gasket over the VANOS unit. It was sunny and in the 40s so I attacked it over the weekend. EXCELLENT write up and a complete kit made it relatively simple. While not technically difficult, the limited space made things a bit tense at times (I have the scraped up hands and knuckles to prove it ;)

Replacing the CCV did not miraculously cure my leaking valve cover gasket as I had hoped...so just picked up another one and I'll be swapping that out ASAP.
Very nice job!!!!
I know I will get to to this one day. And as suggested I will get it done without removing the intake manifold. If it can be done without removing it, I can do it...
Glad I found this...Now I know which DIY I'm going to use for mine and I didn't know Tischer had a "kit" for this...I had all the parts in the shopping cart on the site individually, which was going to be $170 before shipping. Thanks again
No need to remove intake manifold. Have fun!
Very nice job!!!!
I know I will get to to this one day. And as suggested I will get it done without removing the intake manifold. If it can be done without removing it, I can do it...
Alex, what about the small vent tube that's on the side of the CVV? The one I just got has no cap to it. Does the one I have on my car now come with it?
Yes, the old one has a cap. You will reuse it on the new one. Good luck with the job!
Alex, what about the small vent tube that's on the side of the CVV? The one I just got has no cap to it. Does the one I have on my car now come with it?
Ok. Thanks!
Yes, the old one has a cap. You will reuse it on the new one. Good luck with the job!
Hi there,
I replaced the Oil Separator Valve and put it all back together...several times...now the car doesn't start.
It turns over, but that is about it.
Any suggestions?
There was a small hose on the original which was covered on the new OSV, this connected up to the silver bit of kit above the manifold. I didn't replace this hose, just removed it.
Thanks,
George
In some cars that little port you are mentioning is plugged with a rubber cap, in others there is a vacuum line going from it to the manifold I believe. Did you preserve the origilal set up? ( My kit from Tisher came with a long piece of vacuum line which I did not need). You said you had not replaced the hose and just removed it...Why didn't you replace it?? Are all the electrical connectors plugged back in?
Good luck!
Hi there,
I replaced the Oil Separator Valve and put it all back together...several times...now the car doesn't start.
It turns over, but that is about it.
Any suggestions?
There was a small hose on the original which was covered on the new OSV, this connected up to the silver bit of kit above the manifold. I didn't replace this hose, just removed it.
Thanks,
George
The hose was quite brittle and snapped, I hadn't picked up a new one as I wasn't certain it was required. The replacement OSV was a newer model, insulated, with the small tube capped with rubber on the inside. The original did go up to the manifold.
Would this prevent the car from starting if it wasn't replaced?
I believe I replaced all electrical connectors, several times.
Still no luck.
41 - 60 of 233 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.