Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is a repeat from the "April 12 Production Orders Thread"

Well, I took delivery today, and all I can say is WOW. My delivery day was not without its adventures, but the car is amazing.

I woke up today feeling like a kid on Christmas, and spent the morning anxiously anticipating my 5pm delivery. Then the trouble started. Around 11am I got a call from my salesman, who told me he was having problems with his service department regarding the installation of my new wheels. Dealer prep wasn't going to be a problem, but they weren't going to have time to swap the new wheels on for me. He offered to deliver the car today, and do the wheel change later in the week, but since I've found a buyer for the wheels I didn't want to drive around on them. Making the situation worse, I'm travelling the next couple of days and if I didn't get the car today, I'd have to wait till Friday. My mood was changing swiftly.

My salesman, who I plug relentlessly because I'm so happy with his work (Larry Derby at West German BMW), scrambled to try and work out an alternative. In the meantime, I contacted the Tire Rack for advice on shops in the area that could install the wheels - they gave me 3 names, only two of which could take me today, and only then if I got them the car by around 4pm. Larry moved my delivery up to 3:30, and we rushed it, and I was able to get the wheels taken care of.

So back to the car. My fiance and I pull into the dealership and spot the car immediately. It looked awesome. Coming from two previous black cars, I'm well aware of the extra care that exterior demands, but when it's clean there's nothing like it. The car was gleaming and gorgeous. I find that this convertible looks nearly as good with its top up as down, and the first impression was excellent.

We went through the delivery process quickly (I'm familiar with the basic operation from my current car), and were on our way to get the new wheels installed. I was once again, as on the test drives, struck by how much quicker this car is than my 328i. Even with the added weight of the drop top, this car is noticeably faster than the one I just sold. And it sounds MUCH better - a very enthusiastic growl adds to the sensation of speed under acceleration. I haven't really wound the car out yet, and I can't wait to see how it feels and sounds up near the redline. I was told the car needs no break-in, but I'm going to ease into things just to be on the safe side. I'm accustomed to the handling of the car from my 328i - but I'm very impressed at the sense of solidness in this cab. The car is squeek and rattle free, and really gives little impression of the added weight and the additional flex that you might expect. I can only hope it holds this feeling well into my ownership.

When I first looked the car over I actually started to worry about my decision to replace the wheels, because the M68's looked great. I've seen pictures of the SSR GT1's I bought to replace the stock wheels, but I'd never seen them in person, and I was starting to worry they wouldn't be as sharp looking as the 68's. I soon found out my fears were baseless. As much as I like the stock rims, I LOVE the GT1's. They seem to have a bit more shine to them, and their simpler, more open design creates an illusion of more size. They are 17" wheels, but it would be easy to mistake them for 18". Everyone at the garage, workers and patrons alike, were making a fuss over the car and the wheels.

We left the garage and went to my parents for dinner, then drove down Kelly Drive into Philadelphia (a beautiful winding riverside road). Despite cloudy weather that never made it out of the 50's, we were cruising top down from the time of delivery till we got home for the night. With the windows up, and the heated seats on, the car is very comfortable in less than hospitable weather. I'm sure with a wind blocker installed we'll be able to enjoy top-down driving well into the fall.

That's it for now. I've just had a taste of the car and I am very much in love. It will be at least a week before I can get some pics up (have to borrow a digital camera), but I'll get them on here as soon as I can. I really think the car looks exceptional.

Now I'm going away till Friday (without the car ) , so my anticipation will be building again. Hopefully I'll get to enjoy the car in nicer weather over the weekend. Good luck to everyone with a pending delivery - these cars live up to the hype.

·
desmoquattro addict
55 Posts
Congratulations, and nice writeup! I leave for Munich TOMMOROW and can barely contain myself!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think I have a new mission in life...

And that mission is to try to dissuade anybody that'll listen from buying the wind blocker. :D

Okay, now stick with me here a second. You bought a convertible right? Right. And reason is so you can be enclosed on all four sides?

I just don't get the windblocker. If you don't want wind, get a coupe with a sunroof.

But congrats on the new car. That's the first thing I noticed when I got mine after trading in my 328i, just how much more powerful the 3.0 felt. Even with the extra weight.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Congrats & good luck :thumb: Nice write up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
good color choice

great color choice there, black on black. I have it and wouldn't change a thing. It really shines after it has just been waxed. I wonder if you new wheels will get as dirty as the SP ones, that is my only complaint!

·
BFE 2003
95 Posts
Philly,
How damn ironic..my car came in Sat, and I could have gotten it today; however, I cant pick it up till Friday either, because I am in the process of selling my E36 and that wont be done till Thurs..but..heres a pic of the car unprepped..I cant even think about anything else!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Nice write up Philly! I envy the day, it will definitely be XMAS to me!! I know I'll still be happy when writing out the BIG check. I'll be waiting for your pics!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: I think I have a new mission in life...

obLu said:
And that mission is to try to dissuade anybody that'll listen from buying the wind blocker. :D

Okay, now stick with me here a second. You bought a convertible right? Right. And reason is so you can be enclosed on all four sides?

I just don't get the windblocker. If you don't want wind, get a coupe with a sunroof.

But congrats on the new car. That's the first thing I noticed when I got mine after trading in my 328i, just how much more powerful the 3.0 felt. Even with the extra weight.
I think you're missing my point regarding a windblocker. I wouldn't get it to use during the spring/summer/fall. I'd get it so I could be dropping the top on into our Philadelphia winters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts